Thread: Painting of a Border Collie in progress.

Painting of a Border Collie in progress.

I decided to post this being as I'm not painting a dog at the moment so can't post it in here, lol.

I painted this last autumn as an xmas present for my brother and his partner. The dog was called Tess and she was our Jess's younger sister. She had to be put to sleep in June last year due to an infection of the womb. She would have been 10 now, turning 11 at July the 4th.

I can post all the updates now so you don't have to wait ages inbetween like with Mega. I got Mega back from the framers today btw. I'll be taking her to my aunt and uncles tomorrow.

Here is the first wip. Just painting in the background colour here.

Here I have started on the main head study but also started working some background in behind the smaller study at the bottom. That tree sort of just painted itself and just emerged by accident. I had no actual plans before I started the painting as to what would be behind that one at the bottom.

More work on the main head study and that tree.

More work on the main head study.

More work on the head study and a bit more on that mini background at the bottom. I had started painting in grass for her to lay on working forward from the trees.

Continued in next post....
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

The head study is not far off done now.

I have also completed the mini background with all that grass and have started colouring in the study of Tess.

I added a little more contrast to the neck area on the main head study and completed the bottom study. I also started on the background behind the standing study and started to colour that in.

Here, I have completed the second mini background...just the study of Tess to complete.

Here is the finished piece. Both of them cried when they recieved it. Well, my brother managed to hold it in but only just.

Hope you enjoyed.

You're a very talented painter, I love this one especially. They must have been overjoyed to get this as a gift.

Wow, you did a wonderful job. It's beautiful.

Incredible talent there! I particularly like the composition, the subtle yet detailed background and, of course the realism in the detail of Tess.

I checked out your website and I'm absolutely in awe. I'm sure you've recieved many compliments- add mine to the list!

That is just beautiful. You're so talented!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Amazing. I'd have cried, too, if someone made a painting like that of my beloved pet.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

all i can say is wow!

What a beautiful and thoughtful gift! You're very talented. I like it that you included several poses. She was a beautiful girl.

Wow, thats STUNNING!

Totally stunning--you are very talented.

Thanks all.

Painting portraits can come in handy as an idea for xmas present. This year, I'm painting my sisters horse and next year, her dog, Monty, lol.

Btw, I took Mega painting to my aunt and uncles today. They all cried. I didn't really know what to do with myself.
    As for the weight issue update, well she doesn't really look much different but she has, apparently lost 1 and a half pounds which is something I suppose for a little dog. I told my uncle he should try and aim for her to lose a pound a month maybe. It's better than nothing.

I'll post a few other canine paintings I've done at some point. Sort of post one at a time and spread them out a bit.

Oh my gosh, this is absolutely stunning! You are SO very talented!

Kristen & the Dynamutts...