Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP - My Baby Commodus 4/5/07-5/27/07

RIP - My Baby Commodus 4/5/07-5/27/07

Yesterday morning a woman dropped her 2 dogs off at my house for us to watch for the long weekend. A Jack Russell Terrier and a 12 week old dachshund puppy. I asked her how the 2 of them were with cats - she said that the jack russell likes to chase them and would bark at them, but "just wanted to play with them". The dachshund had never before met a cat. To play it safe, we confined our kittens, Maximus and Commodus in the office so that they would be safe.

I was checking my email with both cats in here with me, and my fiance came in to check on how I was doing. Before he could stop him, Commie darted out of the room, probably wanting to play with the new dogs that were there - he loves dogs. The jack russell promptly picked him up, and mauled him. We grabbed him as fast as we could, and all I remember is seeing blood pouring out of his ear, and his nose. His mouth was open, and he was twitching a bit, but his eyes were closed, and his breathing was almost non existent. We rushed him to the 24 emergency animal hospital, which is a few blocks from our house....there was nothing that they could do. His skull was crushed and his neck was broken. He was only 7 weeks old. The Doctors told us that he likely felt nothing, because it was all over so quickly. They said that when we picked him up, he was probably taking his last breath, and that the movements we saw were likely just involuntary spasms.

We called the woman who owns the 2 dogs that we were watching, and told her what happened. She was horrified, obviously. We told her that she needed to make other arrangements for her dogs - either for us to bring them to a kennel, or have a friend come get them, because I could not have that dog in my house for the next 4 days, I didn't trust myself to be around her, I didn't trust myself to not do something irrational.

Commie loved dogs so much - he used to do this thing with my dogs, he would walk over to them and lick and nuzzle their noses until they opened their mouths, and then he would stick his head inside so they would lick him. He did the same thing with us - every time we would yawn, he would stick his head in our mouths. He was so, so funny. He liked to climb up on our shoulders while we sat on the couch and sleep curled up next to our necks.

Maximus and our 2 dogs have been walking around the house all day looking for him. It's absolutely heart breaking. Max keeps crying, and going from room to room, like he's searching for him. On one hand, I don't know if I can bring myself to get another cat right now - but on the other hand, is it really fair to Maximus to make him go back to being an only cat, when he was just getting used to having a buddy to play with? They were just starting to nap together, groom each other, and play nicely....and now this. I just don't know what to do from here.

We've decided not to foster any more dogs for a long time...and not to pet sit at our house anymore, unless we know the animals extremely well and know they are gentle with cats - our animals are our top priority, and clearly we can't guarantee their safety when bringing animals in here who we don't know.

I loved him so much. So very much. We had him for 1 week, and I could already tell how incredibly special he was. He was loving, funny, and had so many funny quirks about him. We brought Commie home in a box and buried him in a quiet shaded are of our back yard, and put a little stone garden over it as a memorial. I don't think either my fiance or I will ever forgive ourselves for this, for not being more careful, for allowing a strange dog into our house and putting him at risk like that. For not being there fast enough to protect him, and not being able to save him.

These are the last pictures that I took of our sweet little guy. He was taken from us far too soon, and I miss him so much. I hope that he knows how much he meant to us, and I hope that the week that he was in our lives was as happy for him as it was for us. We love you Commie.

OMG...the tears are pouring! I am so so sorry that ya'll are having to go through this! It doesn't matter how short or long you had him...he was, and always will be in your hearts.

Those last pics are precious, it seems he had a great sense of humor...the little smiley one on the wooly thing is my favorite. I'd frame that one...

Hugs to all of you...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious baby orangie. What a sweetie he was! How sad for you to have gone through such a horrible event.

Rest gently, Commodus, sweet liitle guy.

Oh no, that is horrible!! I'm so very sorry that this happened!! So sorry that you have lost your sweet little orangie that way!! What a tragedy! And poor Maximus!

R.I.P. little Commodus!

Kirsten

Oh dear heavenly God!
    Please, whatever you do you must forgive yourselves.
    i'm not telling you what to do, but it was NOT YOUR FAULTS in any way whatsover!

Sorry about Commie. RIP little boy.

i too, have had experience w/ people trying to keep animals separated in a house w/ bad results. it just cannot be done. you did not know this animal had this propensity tho. i did and do take responsibility for it.
    in our case, the female pitbull's owner who was my housemate's girlfriend, didn't know that my guest, who hadn't been to our home before, would open a door w/she was specifically asked NOT to. i do not blame anyone, though i told this dog's owner several times not to bring her dog into my home again, but being my roommate's girlfriend thought she knew better and told me she'd keep her locked in the room and on a leash, not in the backyard. grrr. (my housemate was king of the roost). but the potentially dangerous dog did maul my dog for a good 15 minutes. afterward the owner did put the dog down. before it happened again to a child. she couldn't care for her and couldn't find anyone to.

i do not know how to express my sorrow and compassion to you today.

these horrible things do happen in our world unfortunately.

i hope now that the woman's dog has tasted blood, that she'll consider some serious steps; having the dog put down, confined to a kennel in her yard, or something quite pro-active at least.

As a cat owner. i can't imagine this pain.

you are all in my prayers, including your angel, of course.

Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

This is so tragic!!!
    He was such a sweet little orangie guy. He will be sorely missed.
    You made the right decision to call the dogs owners to come get therre pets. I wouldn't want them around either.
    Lighting candle for Commo.
    R.I.P. Little guy.....
    Mommy to Timothy, Cheese, Chaz and Junior...and RB Baby Doodles

He was such a cute little thing and that one of him that looks like he is smiling from ear to ear is priceless. I am so sorry for your loss.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Oh Liz, I just can't believe this happened! You have been working so hard to help so many animals, your heart is in the right place honey.

RIP Commie.

My heart is breaking for all of you. What a sad and tragic thing to happen to an innocent little guy.

RIP little one, play hard at the RB.

And ((((hugs)))) to you. I am so sorry.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Methinks your "friend" lied to you about that vicious dog that should be PUT DOWN and your "friend" should be made to pay. Period. No excuses. This was a horrible thing to happen to poor, sweet, fragile, little Commodus and for you to have to see it yet is unthinkable! I'm so sorry that this happened but as someone on PT said, it's highly improbable to keep a vicious animal separated from other animals. Check out my thread about Kiara, the cat whose "family" tried to keep her separated from their vicious dog and she was attacked twice and had surgery twice as a result of those attacks.

Your heart was in the right place and you wouldn't have taken the dog in had you known how vicious it was and that the life of your precious Commodus would have been in jeopardy. Be at peace w/yourself about that. And know that Commodus is now at peace and playing hard at the Rainbow Bridge without fear.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Oh my god. That poor little innocent soul! And he looked to be the sweetest happiest little boy. Those dogs would be out of my house in a heartbeat. I wouldn't care where, but they would be GONE. And that friend, she would be bearing a tremendous burden... How horrible of her to put you in that position.

RIP little boy... play hard at the bridge and keep a close watch over your meowmie and your brother.

Has the woman picked up the dogs yet?? I'd be so upset... I just can't get over this! To put your innocents in harm's way is just beyond contempt.

I was stunned to log on and see this...I am sending prayers and hugs. What a sweet, funny little monkey-cat!

Commodus - look down on your human and fur family, let them know you are ok...

I wish you peace from this horror...I pray it will fade and you will remember this wonderful kitten who had the best home and friends ever,

I am so very sorry....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

awww im so terribly sorry for your loss.. rip little one

The Porch Angels have recruited Commodus to be with them at The PEt Angel Strip Mall where he will enjoy six restaurants and furniture stores and a giant Pet Food Store.
    Commodus will also travel with the Pet Angel Army now in Tokoyo Japan.
    What a shame that your instructions were ignored and this happened.
    Commodus doesnt want you to mourn too much as he will visit you from time to time and sit beside Maximus and Your Dogs. And let you know that hes all right, before you are reunited in love.
    One Fine Day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS