Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherman #369 He is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ipodee
    my dog has the above symptoms for 2 years now
    Welcome to Pettalk, and I'm glad you posted. With the anit-biotics & cough meds, Sherman was good for almost a week, but yesterday he started coughing & gaging something terrible. He coughed numerous spatters of blood, and at one point some gobs of blood-laced muccus. He coughed so hard for so long that our new neighbor came out and asked if he was ok - said they could hear him and were afraid he was choking on something. Me thinks we'll be heading back to the vets on Monday.
    In the meanwhile....I massaged his neck quite a bit, he finally stopped coughing. Got a pediatric grape-flaored cough syrup that he will take more willingly than the adult stuff. I also melted down some root-beer flavored cough drops & gave them to him last night. But he's obviously not feeling well - he's extremely lethargic. I slept downstairs next to him and he was quiet all night, but I hate seeing my sweet boy so out of it.
    Please send some good thoughts his way.

I'm sorry to hear about Sherman still having the cough. Poor fella.
    I sure hope the Vet can trace the cause of this. His throat sounds like
    it would be so sore & irritated. Prayers that the Doc can find something
    that helps him quick. Hang in there Sherman.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

<skoops up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Herrow, GOD!

OMG! Our Gud Buddie Sherman is havin a ree-lapse!

He's back to <koffin> an <hackin> again - feelz kinda louzie!

Kan You <slip> him in to see his New White Coat furst thing on Monday?
    We'd 'preciate dat ... so would his Mom!

Meantyme --- we'z gonna be Krossin Pawz & Klawz that the Home Remedy
    Stuff
    that Mom's been kookin up keeps werkin!
    "Warm rooty-beer Koffin Dropz" sounds purdy **Yummie** to us!

FEEL BETTER SOON, Sherm!!

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Oh Pat, I feel so sorry for Sherman! I do hope you can find things to help him feel comfortable until the white coats and figure out a solution for all this coughing. Prayers for Sherman!!

poor guy. we had a dog at the shelter where I volunteer that was a huge black lab that we adopted out and he came down with kennel cough and I think the vet treated him with antibiodics. they may give him another vaccine to be on the safe side. please keep us posted and I hope you are able to find a new vet soon! how far away is the vet you used to use?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses
    how far away is the vet you used to use?
    750 miles! We just moved. The first Monday we were here, I found a new vet clinic just a couple miles away. They were able to get him in in a couple hours, I'll hope they can do it again this Monday, too. Thanks for your prayers, I'm really worried about him.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    750 miles! We just moved. The first Monday we were here, I found a new vet clinic just a couple miles away. They were able to get him in in a couple hours, I'll hope they can do it again this Monday, too. Thanks for your prayers, I'm really worried about him.

Pat, could you tell me if this Vet gave Sherman a shot of antibiotic meds
    as well as the tablets to take daily? My vet usually does this for my guys
    when they come down with something. It really seems to jump start the
    healing process.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh Pat, I'm so sorry to hear Sherman is not well. I hope the vet can ease his coughing. *HUGS*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Welcome to Pettalk, and I'm glad you posted. With the anit-biotics & cough meds, Sherman was good for almost a week, but yesterday he started coughing & gaging something terrible. He coughed numerous spatters of blood, and at one point some gobs of blood-laced muccus. He coughed so hard for so long that our new neighbor came out and asked if he was ok - said they could hear him and were afraid he was choking on something. Me thinks we'll be heading back to the vets on Monday.
    In the meanwhile....I massaged his neck quite a bit, he finally stopped coughing. Got a pediatric grape-flaored cough syrup that he will take more willingly than the adult stuff. I also melted down some root-beer flavored cough drops & gave them to him last night. But he's obviously not feeling well - he's extremely lethargic. I slept downstairs next to him and he was quiet all night, but I hate seeing my sweet boy so out of it.
    Please send some good thoughts his way.
    Lethargy means infection. Most likely puppy has a temperature. Probably the Vet needs to sedate puppy, and examine with an endoscope and take some Xrays. For example there could be a foreign object lodged in the esophagus. Unless there is evidence of pneumonia after a week kennel cough seems less likely. Although there is always a possibility that one is tangling with a bug that has antibiotic resistance to the antibiotic previously prescribed.

Did the vet give you a prescription for Hycodan? It's a synthetic codeine cough suppressant. Sometimes codeine is better at nailing a cough than the over the counter meds. If Sherman is achy from coughing the codeine might help with that too. (You all know what I mean - when you get a cold and you've been coughing like crazy, your muscles just hurt from so much coughing.) I'm sure it will make him more lethargic but if he needs to rest, that might not be a bad thing. Sherman, sweetheart, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been sick. I'm glad that your Mom was able to find a veterinarian who could see you quickly, and I hope that you will feel much, much better P.D.Q.!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh Shermie, I'm sorry that your feeling lousy again. I sure hope that you start feeling better asap.

(Hugs) to you boy.

Sherman, I hope you can get some help for your cough. I've had acute bronchitis, so I know how painful all that coughing can be.
    You and your mommy will be in my thoughts.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I don't think Sherman got a shot of antibiotics. He took doxycycline and temaril-P. He also received vaccinations for Lyme & rabies.

He slept all day, and even walked away from his dinner - now that's a first. We just got back after a couple hours running errands, he was up and looking a little brighter. He came in & polished off what Star left behind of her dinner, so I guess his appetite is back. The vet mentioned the possibility of pnemonia and/or allergies if his cough didn't improve, so we'll see. He did not have a fever at the vets, and I don't think he has one now, I'm sure they'll retake it tomorrow if they want to see him.

Poor Sherman! I hope he's feeling better soon.

Oh Shermie!!
    Pleeeease get better soon and be good for the white coats!!
    {{hugs}} to you and your mom.
    Yours always... Sierra.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome