Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherman #369 He is gone.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to look into a vaporizer. I hope we can post about an improvement soon. Since Star 's already been exposed, she's not separated, although she's pretty much doing her own thing.

The rest of this pretty lengthy, but I felt it was neccessary to take the time to post it. Like they say, knowledge is power.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragondawg
    (e.g. Clavamox)The idea the Vet is even suggesting a fungal infection, when you started with a Kennel cough like infection that has progressed into a bacterial pneumonia is strange.
    He's on Clavamox, I could only remember reading amoxi part when I was typing. Just to clarify, the vet did not suggest he has a fungal infection, he was just saying that IF Sherman doesn't get better, that we need to broaden the look at what might be playing into this. Considering we just moved here from Ohio, he said there is a high incidence of dogs in the midwest contracting fungal infections, whereas he doesn't see it very often out here.

Since several comments have been made, I thought it would be appropriate to share what I'm learning. I hope this helps people understand where the vet is coming from. Some of you sound pretty well informed about this stuff. I'm not giving a word-by-word report on our visits, and I apologise if anyone felt misled, my bad.

I've highlighted the symptoms Sherman has that would indicate why the vet would consider this as a possibility:

Blastomycosis is an infection found in dogs, people, and occasionally cats. It is caused by the fungal organism Blastomyces dermatitidis, which is found as a mold in the soil or at room temperatures and as a yeast in tissues or at body temperatures. The mold occurs in sandy, acid soils near river valleys or other waterways. Endemic in Ohio, Mississippi, St. Lawrence river valleys, the Great lakes region, and along the eastern seaboard, veterinarians report blastomycosis more frequently in the fall... For unknown reasons, male dogs are more likely to contract blastomycosis than females.
    The clinical signs of blastomycosis may vary with the target organs affected and may include one or all of the following: anorexia, depression, weight loss, fever (103 degrees or higher) that doesn't respond to antibiotics, coughing, shortness of breath, exercise intolerance, enlarged lymph nodes, eye disease, or skin lesions that drain bloody or purulent material.

Read about blatomycosis here

I think this is important to know about, especially for those living in the indicated areas. (including many our dear PT friends from the Findlay gatherings).

And when all this started, Sherman had no fever, no raspy lungs, no shallow breathing, no lethargy, & still had a great appetite - only a cough. He was thoroughly assessed before giving him vaccinations. They were very clear that they do not vaccinate dogs they feel are not healthy enough.

Thanks again everyone, your caring really warms my heart! I know PT prayers work.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes

Thanks again everyone, your caring really warms my heart!
    I know PT prayers work.
    {{{HUGS}}} & Prayers for Sherman, Mom, Dad, and Sista Star!!

Get Well SOON, Sherm!!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

If it doesn't start clearing up soon, you may want to suggest to your vet that they do a trachea wash, where they take a sample of the gunk in Sherm's lungs and culture it to see what grows - that way they can give you a specific antibiotic for whatever bacteria you're dealing with.

And to whoever asks - it's highly contagious. When my pup had pneumonia they had her in a little closed off incubator in the critical care room in the hospital, so that she couldn't spread it to the other pups there. We had to wear gloves and gowns to pet her during visiting hours, and she was in total isolation from the other dogs.

I'm crossing my fingers that Sherm feels better soon. Since he's a big strong dog I bet he'll recover quickly!

Thank you Kay for the awesome siggy!!!

Oh no, last time I checked this Sherman seemed to be getting better. I will continue to keep him in my prayers. I hope he is feeling better soon.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Sherman will be in our prayers. I've got peanut butter cookies if you get better, Sherm ....

Sorry I am just seeing this thread. How awful for Sherman and all of you!! What a struggle this has been, Pat. I feel for you and your family and of course I'm sending big giant wishes that Sherman will get better really really soon. Poor guy just doesn't know what's going on. Thank God for his loving family being there for him and doing everything humanly possible for a swift recovery. My thoughts and prayers are going up to all of you right now. GET WELL HANDSOME MAN!!! We're baking up a big batch of peanut butter cookies for you too {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I'll keep all my toes and fingers crossed that Sherman continues to get better.

Oh, no, Sherman has pneumonia :(

Sherman, sweety! I hope the antibiotics work and you feel much better soon.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh Sherman! I'm sorry you have pnuemonia buddy. I hope it clears up soon.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Aww he has pnemonia...poor husky boy. Get feeling better soon Sherman!

Poor guy.

He's been through so much this last little while. I hope he gets better soon!

Oh no!!! Poor Sherman! * H U G S / healing energy *

Unless he's allergic to it there is no harm in this suggestion. Try putting him on 1/2 tsp (per 50lbs of body weight) of (cold processed - this part is VERY important) honey, twice per day. (in addition to his medicines of course.) You can either just let him lick it off of something or dilute it in room temp water.

Continue until a week after he stops showing any symptoms of being ill. (Or if he seems to have a bad reaction to it of course. Which would mean that by some odd fluke that he's allergic to it.)

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Well, after a brief couple days of feeling better, Sherman started going downhill again the last two days. He's been increasingly lethargic, still not eating, wobbly, & generally out of it.

We took him in again this morning & they did another thorough exam and chest xrays. Sherman has pnemonia! He also is running a fever, in spite of being on antibiotics. They're doing bloodwork too.

The vet added *Clavamox to his list of meds, and we're supposed to "cup" him along his sides to try to dislodge some of the gunk. It was obvious on the xrays there's a lot of congestion. They also suggested putting him in the room when we shower (that'll be a tight squeeze in this place!).

So, my poor Shermie still needs some good thoughts sent his way.
    Thanks for your prayers.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Pat & Sherms,
    I wanted to let you know I've been reading this thread since it was originally created but have not posted.

I'm so sorry Sherman isn't doing well. Hope the nastiness clears up soon and he's able to enjoy his new home!

{{HUGS}} to you both.

Kay & The Muttlies

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Shermie... Shermie, Shermie, Shermie....
    What are we going to do with you young man!!
    You need to get better so your mom, dad and Star (and the PT gang) don't worry about you!
    Orrr.... maybe that's why you're still sick.. you just want the attention!
    j/k

Oh Pat, I'm so sorry he's still sick the poor thing!
    All of this since leaving Ohio! He hasn't even been able to really enjoy his new digs over there!

Sierra sends smooches and lovin's to her Shermie-kins and super, duper special get well vibes from us all!
    {hugs}
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

How is Sherman doing now on his new meds? A little better I hope.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt