Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherman #369 He is gone.

thanks, I'm glad tohear that people have had good results. I found one web posting that was a list of people whose dogs have had hrrible & life threatening reactions, so I was a bit apprehensive.

Sherman's drinking tons of water. He's eating off & on, not as much as usual, but he is eating. He seems to be craving green beans - eating them first & leaving his kibble. I give him all his pills smothered in a big glob of peanut butter. He loves it and gulps it down, probably doesn't even notice the big pill. His energy is still low, but he seems a bit brighter, his eyes look clearer, like he feels a little better.
    thanks for keeping him in your prayers.

Oh Pat... first off {{HUGS}} to you!!
    I hope he keeps on getting better and hope he doesn't catch on that the peanut butter is a TRAP!!
    Sierra sends hugs and kisses to her boy toy.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    I don't think Sherman got a shot of antibiotics. He took doxycycline and temaril-P. He also received vaccinations for Lyme & rabies.....

The vet put Sherman back on an antibiotic for one more round. This one is cephalexin. If he has more coughing episodes, the next step will be chest xrays. Here's hoping the pills do the trick......

I have a question regarding this medication, Cephalexin. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've been reading up on the side effects, and wondered how other dogs responded.

I would be very angry with a vet for giving a vaccination when a dog is sick. That's just not right! A vaccination requires an immune system response and it's very difficult for an animal to fight off any kind of infection while also responding to a vaccine, let alone that might compromise the vaccine's effectiveness also when animals are on steroids we don't vaccinate either. Where I work we NEVER vaccinate a sick animal, NEVER. Although we've had lots of people ask, even when the animal is in for something severe like a broken leg and it's like 'oh while he's here can he get his distemper shot?" GRRRRRRR Would you take a kid to the hospital with a broken leg and ask for a tetanus shot 'while you were there'? NO, it's just wrong!

Aside from my rant there, We use Cephalexin frequently at work, I don't recall anyone every having called about a side effect like that from it. However if he's still on the Temaril-P that could be causing the leaking of pee and drinking alot of water. Prednisolone/steroids can cause thirst, drinking alot of water, and consequently inappropriate urination.

From Pfizer's drug insert on Temaril-P

ACTION: The exclusive Temaril-P formula combines the antipruritic and antitussive action of trimeprazine with the anti-inflammatory action of prednisolone.

Medline Plus on Prednisolone/steroid side effects

SIDE EFFECTS
    Prednisone and prednisolone have activity in the kidney leading to the conservation of salt. This creates the classical side effects of prednisone/prednisolone use: excessive thirst and excessive urination.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    thanks, I'm glad tohear that people have had good results. I found one web posting that was a list of people whose dogs have had hrrible & life threatening reactions, so I was a bit apprehensive.
    You can search just about any drug and find someone who's pet has had a hideous reaction to it! Sometimes the net is just too much information!

Glad Sherman is feeling a bit better.

Cyber-Sibes, how is Shermie today? (Could you give him, Star too, a hug for me.)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Cyber-Sibes, how is Shermie today? (Could you give him, Star too, a hug for me.)
    Hugs delivered! I think this second round is helping, it's been 48 hours & he's starting to act more like himself. He came over by the couch for some loving, even tapped me with his paw for more rubs He went upstairs to greet JoJoe this morning, he's picking up his head & looking when he hears things, and even came upstairs again to get me when he needed to go out. Starting to get his bounce back when he walks, too. I'm hoping this continues! Thanks for asking!

Whew I am so happy to hear Sherman is feeling better than he
    has been. Hugs Shermie.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Glad to hear Sherman is feeling a bit better!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I hope he feels better soon!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Oh good! Keep it up Sherman, feel better 'n' better, buddy!

Hi Star, I am NOT forgetting you sweetie!

I'm so glad to hear he's feeling beter

Great news!!
    Keep it up Shermie!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I am so glad to hear Sherman is doing better! Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon.

I didn't see this earlier, I'm sorry to hear that poor Sherman wasn't feeling well! I'm glad to hear he's improving, I hope he continues. Get feeling better Sherman, we can't have an unhappy husky!

Well, after a brief couple days of feeling better, Sherman started going downhill again the last two days. He's been increasingly lethargic, still not eating, wobbly, & generally out of it.

We took him in again this morning & they did another thorough exam and chest xrays. Sherman has pnemonia! He also is running a fever, in spite of being on antibiotics. They're doing bloodwork too.

The vet added *Clavamox to his list of meds, and we're supposed to "cup" him along his sides to try to dislodge some of the gunk. It was obvious on the xrays there's a lot of congestion. They also suggested putting him in the room when we shower (that'll be a tight squeeze in this place!).

So, my poor Shermie still needs some good thoughts sent his way.
    Thanks for your prayers.

*edited to correct name of drug
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 06-23-2007 at 12:55 PM.