Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side effects from Prednisone??? Update Post 18; cute pics post 12

Side effects from Prednisone??? Update Post 18; cute pics post 12

My mom is very much in touch with her vet, and Pyka goes in tomorrow morning.

He's the 8 yr old Lilac Point Oriental Shorthair that has had a chronic URI. Anyway, two days ago, the vet had a good look at his records, and Pyka was taken off the Zythromax and put on Prednisone.

He has a large hematoma on his ear (mostly fluid) that will be lanced tomorrow. It is driving him nuts, and he scratches it.

Since he started the pred, he has become panicky, is sleeping in hiding places such as behind the books in the bookcase, or on a backpack in my Mom's closet. Also, apparently scared, he has tried to jump up on a kitchen counter and another mid-height item, and has come crashing down!

He is NOT sneezing any more, and actually slept on a bed today, and his brother Shiney cuddled with him twice.

While Pyka has been hiding, poor Shiney has been looking for him...

Side effects? Zythromax withdrawl? Poor Pyka, he's not happy, and Mom is worried.

Thank you if you can share any experience to add to Pyka's vet visit tomorrow.
    Last edited by Catty1; 06-05-2007 at 01:10 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

If cats react anything like humans to prednisone, that is what is causing his problems. In humans prednisone heights emotions, so people can become depressed, scared, aggressive, etc.

Your Mom should see if there is anything else that can be used (non-steroidal)

Zythromax is an antibiotic, so it's doubtful stopping that would cause problems.

My bet is on the Prednisone. Do you know the dosage, by chance?

Usually, with steroids, they start them out on a relatively high dosage, then taper them off. I once had a dog who went on Prednisone every summer for allergies. She never had any problems. But our neighbor's cat went on it once, and she became quite aggressive with other cats.

Large doses of steroids, for an extended period, can also cause diabetes in people; not sure about animals.

Have her ask the Vet how long Pyka will stay on the Prednisone, and will it be tapered down. Make sure she gives the Vet a list of Pyka's behaviour since starting the med.

Pyka is on two tabs a day for a week, then down to one. Mom just phoned a minute ago - he came out from under the bed, and is slowly doing better. She did buy him some baby food, chicken with broth, and he lapped that right up.

I seem to recall that cats can't have garlic or onion in the baby food they get, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    I seem to recall that cats can't have garlic or onion in the baby food they get, is that right?
    That's my understanding, also. Either of those raw could cause ulcerations in the mouth and stomach. And there have been instances of cats developing hemolytic anemia after eating garlic and/or onion.

I never knew that pred could have these kind of side effects on cats. Starr is still on 5mg of it every morning and he's been acting normal the whole time even when he was on a higher dose in the beginning. He's always been feisty though and he'll get very hissy and grumpy if one of his siblings tries to wake him up from his nap. I'm hoping to be able to wean him off of it soon but his vet wants to wait a while and do it very slowly.

Good luck Pyka. I hope you feel better very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz
    I never knew that pred could have these kind of side effects on cats. Starr is still on 5mg of it every morning and he's been acting normal the whole time even when he was on a higher dose in the beginning. He's always been feisty though and he'll get very hissy and grumpy if one of his siblings tries to wake him up from his nap. I'm hoping to be able to wean him off of it soon but his vet wants to wait a while and do it very slowly.

Good luck Pyka. I hope you feel better very soon.
    Just like with humans, not every cat or dog will have a reaction to a medication. As I said previously, our dog went on prednisone every spring because of skin allergies. She never had a problem with it. Luckily Starr is another like Jenny.

Catty1,

Prednisone is also an appetite stimulant. Turkey baby food is a good idea as it can make him lethargic (or sleepy) from an active ingredient Triptiphan.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Different people react differently to predisone. As a family of folks with asthma - all to varying dergees, nearly all of us have been put on it at some time. It makes me feel HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY and a little fidgety - hungry enough to eat the whole supermarket, but it's illusory, as my tummy is no bigger than it was the day before. Lady's Human, on the other hand, ends up not being hungry at all - to the point where he needs to be reminded to ingest calories for survival.

It usually starts with a "burst then taper" - high quantity at first, then tapering off. DO follow the instructions, don't stop it abruptly, as that can cause problems.

Over time, prednisone will cause kidney damage in both humans AND cats. That is what brought on Amber's kidney failure. He died at age 8, after almost 4 years of prednisone, 5mg once per day, which he was taking for a spinal injury. I just never knew to ask if there was something else at the time.

Mom took Pyka into the vet first thing. They have a surgery spot open - Pyka has to have a general because the hematoma on his ear has hardened.

I hope they can find something else for Pyka to use. Maybe - if his sneezing has stopped - take him off the Pred for a while?

Freedom...thanks for the reminder...I am so sorry that happened to Amber, and a relatively low dose too...

Pyka is very hyper on it, and hides, and doesn't eat - so I hope there is something else!

Surgery is over already, and went well. Vet is doing a blood panel as Pyka has not had one done since 2003. It's for Feline Leukemia, and I hope he doesn't have that.

Mom is thinking that since the sneezing has stopped, to just stop all meds for several days and see how he does. The vet thinks Pyka's fear and hiding behaviour is from the hematoma.

Thanks for your prayers - this poor guy has been the sickly of the two, never really BAD - but enough to cost a couple of hundred per visit (this one was $600! )

Pyka is the one stretched out in the sun in the first one; his littermate Shiney is in the second. They're each about 7 lbs.

My dog Charmin was on Prednisone nearly all her life and she lived to be 18 1/2. She never had a problem w/it. I had to go on it on occasion and I can tell you that aside from gaining weight, it affected my balance and coordination, which could explain Pyka's crashing to the floor when attempting to jump on the countertop.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks, Mary - that's good to know!

Pyka will be home about 5:30 MT, and Mom will call to let me know how he is. They are keeping him to rehydrate him as much as possible - poor kitty!

Hopefullly this will all mean a turn for the better.

Ok, sounds like Pyka could be on the mend now and that's so good to hear! Start slowly, Pyka, no need to start bouncing around all at once!