Thread: German Shepherd sized appetite

German Shepherd sized appetite

My husband came home from work yesterday with a story from a co-worker. This man has a german shepherd which he adopted from a shelter three years ago (dog's age unknown but the dog is very large).

The man's wife had bought a whole filet mignon (a few pounds worth) and was planning to cut it up into many small steaks for many meals. She left it on the counter and, you guessed it, the dog ate it all!!! Keep in mind it was raw too!

My first concern was for the well being of the dog. I mean, after all, can it be good for a dog to eat a massive hunk of raw meat? The man told my hubby that he then proceeded to get out hot dogs for him and his wife to eat since there was no steak left. Apparently the dog was standing beside him waiting to be offered a hot dog. Anyone ever hear of a dog eating such a large portion of raw meat?

Yes mine eat it all the time, it doesn't hurt a dog to eat raw meat, it's actually good for them; however, NOT good for their poor wallet as that was an expensive "meal" for the dog! LOL. I know I sure don't feed MINE filet mignon, waay too costly. What a bummer to have to eat hot dogs after looking forward to a yummy steak!

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Wow! What an appetite!

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    Yes mine eat it all the time, it doesn't hurt a dog to eat raw meat, it's actually good for them; however, NOT good for their poor wallet as that was an expensive "meal" for the dog! LOL. I know I sure don't feed MINE filet mignon, waay too costly. What a bummer to have to eat hot dogs after looking forward to a yummy steak!
    Can't dogs get sick if they eat a large amount of raw meat when they are on a kibble diet? I heard that somewhere... I may be wrong though.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Well he might get diarrhea because he's not used to it, but probably not based on the cut of meat it was, and it won't actually hurt him. I didn't gradually wean my dogs onto raw, I just gave them some meat. The only time one threw up was because ginger stole cracker's and ate too much because she's a pig. But she just threw up the extra and was fine. A couple of pounds for a shepherd though, isn't excessive, at least as far as I know. I wouldn't be concerned if my dog had done that even if they ate kibble. Mine go back and forth all the time from raw to kibble without a problem.

Of course not all raw meat is good for all dogs, etc., but as far as this one incident the dog should be fine. If a dog has pancreatic issues, etc. then you need to be careful with fat content but just in general with a healthy dog doing what he did really won't do anything.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Hee hee, well, they sure did learn THAT lesson the hard way!

Probably the healthiest meal the dog has ever had! I bet he loved it.

He may have diarrhea like Vela said, but only because he isn't used to eating that.

My 4 eat hunks of raw meat all of the time.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Ohh my goodness, I don't even think my whole family could have eaten that much!

Kristen & the Dynamutts...