Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible new dog?

Possible new dog?

As always I am always scanning Freecycle, cause you never know what you will find. Well yesterday I saw an add for a free Mastiff mix.

A friend of mine needs to find a home for his 10-18 month old Mastiff mix who is just beautiful. she is up to date on shots and has
    recently been spayed. She needs to be outdoors. She is 80lbs now and
    will get up to 120lbs. Her temperment is very sweet, although she
    does jump. She is very intellegent and inquizative, and if you don't
    have a fenced in yard she will need to be on a very strong lead that
    can not be chewed. She is Black Brindle with white on her chest, face
    and toes.
    She has peaked my interest, but I am torn, cause4 I told myself the next dog I brought home was going to be a small one, but I feel for the poor dog.
    She has no training I guess, so she is gonna need alot of work.

I realy wanted to get a smaller dog, cause I have had such torment with the larger dogs, leaving me so early in life. But this dog sounds like she needs a good home. and the fact that they say she needs to be outside, just makes me want her more. No dog NEEDS to be outside!

ohhh....what to do???

The other thing is, I have never owned a Mastiff before. Does anyone have any experiance? Are they Hard to train?? I have owned many large breeds, Rotti's, shepards, St. bernards, ect.... This would be the first Mastiff for me.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Awwww, poor girl. She probably only needs to be outside with them because they are too lazy to train her house manners. People irritate me, any dog can be trained to be inside, they are mans best friend and want to be close and please. I have never had personal experience with mastiffs but I hear they are pretty laid back dogs. One of the guys my mom works with had to go to a house that owned one and the dog never even barked, he had to actually step over the dog who only lifted his head and wagged his tail and laid back down. He was only a couple of years old. The owner told him he was very mellow. Now maybe that was just that dog? Good luck in whatever you decide. Just follow your heart.

I just got a new E-Mail from the person whi posted the add.

She is potty trained- can sit and lay down...tho stay is kinda tough for her. She is crate trained and walks well on a leash. She is very high strung and puppy like...she isn't bad...she is just very strong.

The man who has her doesn't want to get rid of her, but has to because he doesn't have the time to train her properly...his job changed since he got her, and now he works almost twice as much as when he got the dog....it is very important for him to find a good home for her. She is going to make a great dog, she just needs attention.
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

I don't want to influence you in any way at all but.............get her!! The timing is perfect for you both and she needs a loving home
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I think you should go for it. She sounds perfect for you.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I think she sounds perfect for your family and Duke. Obviously she needs training and the previous owner admitted he didn't have time for it. So it's not that she's untrainable, she just doesn't have someone to work with her.
    As WELOVEPUPPIES said.....follow your heart. Only you will know if she is right for you or if it is the right time. I think the fact that you were wanting a small dog and this one came up means something. Perhaps Rocky send this girl to you.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I just sent an e-mail trying to set up a time to go and see her. I know damn well once I see her, I will probably bring her home. i have yet to be able to walk away from a dog I have met!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Sounds like a good match for you!
    I hope all goes well with the meeting!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    I know damn well once I see her, I will probably bring her home. i have yet to be able to walk away from a dog I have met!
    Counting on it! hehe!

Just go with your heart. You'll know.

Good luck when you meet her! Maybe we'll have a new Pet Talk pup and Duke will have a new buddy.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

well the lady has yet to return my last e-mail about a possible meet up, but we will see what tomarrow brings. If it dosent happen, then it wasnt meant to be.
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

I hope she e-mails you back! She sounds like such a cutie! Fingers crossed!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

well I finally got an E-Mail back, we are going to try to set something up for tomarrow. I cant wait to see her.
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

I so wish I had the time,money, large residence, etc required to help with poor animals like you are doing for the mastiff. I live in an apt with room for me and Spike and maybe a cat when my heart is open to one ( I lost both mine in 2006) but to have many dogs that I rescued or even just to foster, that would be heaven. I admire you SO much!

hey! That's so fantastic we both will be getting new dogs. I'm sure once you see your potential canine friend you'll fall in love Let us all know how the meeting goes. good luck!