Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Kitty - Advice & UPDATE ++ PICS

Lost Kitty - Advice & UPDATE ++ PICS

There is a kitten that was abandoned (I'm assuming) by his mother at my work. He's in a pretty safe place; between two security doors, so there won't be any wild animals, or kids, or cars to harm him. I'm just worried because I know there used to be a mama around with more kitties, but it seems he's the only one left. He's still awfully young, too, six weeks tops, and I don't think that's old enough to be on your own yet.

He's pretty feral, lots of admin have been scratched when coming too close to him. But tonight he was mewing LOUDLY so us wardrobe ladies gathered and looked out of the first security door, and there he was across the way. So I slowly poke my head out the door and stand there and try to coax him closer to me. I got him maybe within 10 feet of me before someone else walked out and scared him back, but I did notice something strange...

When he walked, it appeared as though his back legs didn't want to cooperate with the rest of his body, he kept stumbling over them. Another co-worker made the comment that he was trying to walk sideways and arch his back to appear "mean" and bigger, which he was at first, and maybe he was just clumsy. But still it just didn't.... LOOK right. It looks like something is very wrong with him.

Now I'm upset because eventhough admin has known about the litter and its mama for weeks now, nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge). I mean, obviously this little guy is still there. But yet they get mad when some of the female entertainers leave out food for him because then he "won't go away".

But at the same time I'm hesitant to call the local shelter because it's so small and he would most certainly be put down and not be given a chance at all.

If he is caught, we do have someone at work who wants to take him, but the chances of one of us catching him is very slim, unless we get him to warm up to us, and if we call animal control in to come get him they'll take him away. So I'm at a complete loss of what to do.

I don't want to get in trouble at work for feeding him, but at the same time he obviously needs nutrition because he is NOT walking right. They've given him canned and kibble but I don't even think he is weaned yet.

UPDATE
    We got him!!

UPDATE2
    Pictures

Bad image, I know, but we aren't allowed cameras at work so I had to use the cell phone. Not too bad for low light though I think.
    Last edited by Jessika; 06-01-2007 at 10:39 AM.

facebook

Is there a recue group in your area that you can contact? They should be able to help you set a "Hav-a-hart" trap with food in it to lure kitty in and then it closes behind kitty so he is "locked in". Then you can decide if you wouold like to have someone at the rescue foster the baby til it is weaned and then find him a home.
    Best wishes!
    Mommy to Timothy, Cheese, Chaz and Junior...and RB Baby Doodles

See if you can borrow a have-a-heart trap from the humane society or a rescue group. He needs to be seen by a vet, and at that age, if he's healthy, he has a great chance to become an "ex-feral" and get socialization. He may, though, be sick, or even be a "wobble kitty" - a mom with feline distemper can give birth to kittens with cerebellar hypoplasia, which can cause difficulty with motor skills. He really needs to be seen by and diagnosed by a vet. If someone can bring a towel and catch him by throwing the towel over him then scooping him up, towel and all, you can get him to a vet. 6 weeks isn't the optimal age to be away from mama, but it isn't a death sentance either, if he's given care.

Well IF he is about six weeks, he's been on his own for at least a week now, if not longer. We aren't exactly sure when mama moved out.

I told the girls if they could find me some thick gloves I'd go in there and try to grab him. The only problem is he is in this alcove and you can't really "sneak up" on him unfortunately.

I'll bring up the suggestion to admin about the trap; I was actually talking to the girls about that earlier tonight I just didn't know what it was called

Unfortunately in the area we live in wild cats run rampant and nobody really cares or does anything about it. In fact I've been told that their way of "euthanizing" animals in the local shelter is a bullet behind the ear.... of course that left me HORRIFIED (more horrified when the person who told me this told me he thinks THAT is a more "humane" way to die than an injection!!). Of course I can't see how any licensed shelter would get away with that, but he also told me since the town itself is so small the shelter is run by the cops. I'm still relatively new to teh area (if two years counts as new) so.... I don't know. I just don't want this kitty to meet that fate.

Oh and the gal who wants to take him is a pretty big animal person too, the first thing she'd do is bring him straight to the vet, if its after-hours then she'd bring him to the emergency vet since she doesn't want to take him home to her own cat if he has contagious diseases or something.

And yeah little kittens are MUCH easier to un-feralize (lol) than the mama, so I knew if they did call animal control or whatever on them, the mama would certainly be put down, but the kittens would have somewhat of a fighting chance.

facebook

Just about every cat I've rescued has been feral, some full grown, some kittens. Since he's so tiny, a large, fluffy towel will do the job. Just toss it over him and scoop him up! If he is a cerebellar hypoplasia kitty, he can still live a good, happy life. I have one and nothing stops my Coco Puff. But it's imperative that you get him to a vet ASAP! His life depends on YOU.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

http://www.animalshelter.org/shelters/Missouri.asp

Check this listing. I don't know your state's geography well enough to know which are near you. There are things like Feline Connection, and others, they do stray cat rescue. Call the ones nearest you, they can offer you a trap.

While you could grab this kitty with a towel, he doesn't sound like he is that trusting of humans to get close to him, and missing will just scare him more. Using the trap, with some food in it, will be the best route to prevent scaring the kitty.

You can also call Branson Humane and ask them for referrals; I didn't see a TNR program on their web site, but they should know who does it!

http://www.humanesociety-branson.org/

If you get hold of a trap, let me know, I can help you with suggestions on the best ways to use it and ge tthe kitty!

Good luck!

Unfortunately where I work they are VERY anal about what happens on their property. I'm sure if I talked with the girl I dress she'll help me out since she's the producer's and the star's daughter I'll run these suggestions by her today. Thanks everyone for your help!!

facebook

That does sound like that Kitten has substained some sort of injury and I hope and pray that he can be caught and looked at.
    I know that theres someone there like the Animal Welfare that we have in Hamilton who will help with that little one.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

A co-worker was able to get pretty close to him today. She brought a cat carrier in with her to work today. But of course he was spooked and ran off. He did let her get to about a foot away though, the closest we've been yet!

I brought up the idea of that trap mentioned earlier and everyone thinks its a great idea so we will be calling around a few places to see if any will lend it out to us.

I'll keep you updated. He is a REAL cutie too.

facebook

Yes, if you can't do the towel thing, a Have-a-heart Trap is the way to go. But you've gotta stop feeding her so she'll be hungry enough to go into the trap. At least, that's been my experience. Get some smelly canned cat food to lure her.
    Blessings,
    Mary

WE GOT HIM!

We came in to work today and it seems that admin FINALLY called the humane society or animal control as there was a VERY rusty have-a-heart trap stuck down a little alley where he likes to hang out with some really smelly food. Well the little bugger didn't care, he walked right up into the trap, chomped down on the food, then promptly walked right back out. Either he didn't weigh enough to trigger the trap, or it was rusted so badly that it didn't work.

Between shows on our break, one of the wardrobe ladies sweet talked one of the male entertainers into helping her grab him, and he did manage to get ahold of him!! At the cost of slicing up his finger. But we got him!! They had him hidden in the wardrobe office... I thought she brought a pet carrier to put him in... but nope... he was running around free inside the office... BIG NO-NO!!! So I ran up stairs and asked the producer's daughter for her dog carrier she keeps in an empty dressing room and she helped sneak it downstairs and we had to catch him again and get him in there.

But he's such a sweetie up close. LOVES being petted, will lean heavily into your hand when you're petting him. Still scared of being approached though, he'll hiss and spit at you but he's completely harmless now.

I have some pics on my cellphone I'll get around to emailing them to myself later so I can show you. Up-close he looks to be about six or seven weeks old, TOPS, and is VERY malnourished and underweight. The ten minutes he was in the wardrobe office roaming free he ate half a big can of cat food!!! I told them don't let him eat anymore, he'll eat himself sick.

facebook

Yay! This is great news! When he gets his once over from the vet, he's going to make someone a wonderful pet. He deserves a loving home. And you deserve kudos. Thank you for being so persistent w/this little guy.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Thank you for posting the happy news. Hope he does OK and has a wonderful life.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

That's great you caught him. I can't wait for the pictures!

** BUMP **

pics

facebook