Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **Spike** updated post with pics

**Spike** updated post with pics

Not sure if you all remember my Cockatiel, Spike. But I would like to mate him, hes 2 years old or so. Is that too late for him to mate? Im trying to find a female bird now but cant seem to find one. There is one in Alexandria, Mn (where i used to live) at their pet store, but that pet store is so bad that i dont know if i get her if she will live or not. If I can mate him does anyone know where I can get a female cockatiel??
    Last edited by racing_gurl07; 05-29-2007 at 03:57 PM.
    Mommy's Little Girl

I only know that it is not too late to mate your cockatiel.

Another Question....He has been SO LOUD latley, hes done moulting, he was like this last spring too. Why is that?
    Mommy's Little Girl

Because this is their natural breeding season.

Since i cant get him a mate right now, It would take a while for him to get used to her, could i get him a fake bird to sit on the perch? would that help the noise at all?
    Mommy's Little Girl

It is very hard to breed Tiels. And chances are he will not breed with just any female tiel. Do you know for sure that he is a male? Have you got him DNA tested to find out? Because that is the only real way to tell. I had a male and a female Tiel and they lived together 10 years, and never once bred. the reason he is being loud, could be cause of several different reasons.. He is bored, lonely, hungry, thursty, singing, playing, wanting out, needs his cage cleaned, needs a mist bath.. Out of all my years of owning birds, they usually get noisy just because they feel like it. And cockatiels are notorious for that!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I'm sure hes a male, i didnt never get a DNA test but Im positive on it, He can not get anymore yellow on his face. And if he was female he wouldnt be as nosiey as he is now. He is just this nosey during the spring after moulting.
    Mommy's Little Girl

Hey racinggurl07,

Two years isn't too old. Is he singing or screaming??? My cockatiel sings all the time because he's happy, but he never just screams.

My cockatiels Peaches & Sunny had 2 babies in January this year. They are already grown now, but they are so sweet.

You can get a cockatiel from a pet shop or from a breeder.

I really don't know why he's screaming--it can be for many reasons like tikeyasmom said.

Let us know if you need more help.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I thought he was screaming because we moved last night, we drove 2 hours in the car, but hes been in the car alot from moving alot. But even before we moved he was loud in our other apartment. He was loud all day today but this afternoon he calmed down a bit, i misted him, he didnt like it but im sure it felt good. And i also bought him more Millet, so hopefully hes not stressed.
    Mommy's Little Girl

Females can also have yellow faces......... my Maui has a yelow face and crest......but she´s a Pied Tiel.......

You can try searchinh online for a breeder, I wish I could help more but I have no clue where you live, Í am also member on a bird forum where Tiel owners have clutches or young birds for sale....... you may wanna look there....PM me if you like

can you post Spike pics??
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

yeah posting pictures would realy help out I'd like to see him anyway; I love to see cockatiel pictures!!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I do have pics of him, but they are OLD. he doesnt have much yellow at all in the pics i have. If can find some recent ones i can post them.
    Mommy's Little Girl

Here are some pics of Spike i found, they were taken last year, he a little bit more yellow now.

Mommy's Little Girl

Yeah he is definalty a male. I would suggest not breeding him unless you know what you are doing. You will need to find a female who is at least a year old. breeding any time before a year can be dangerous for her health. Also you can't just throw the two birds together you will need to have them in separate cages for a while and slowly introduce them, just like people they may never get along. You will need a large cage with a nestbox attached. Also males scream for different reasons, sometimes they want more attention, sometimes they are hormonal, and sometimes they are just doing it for the heck of it. Good luck!

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Form the pictures I would say he is a male normal grey tiel.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010