Thread: What can I do?

What can I do?

What can I do to help? I'm 15 which makes me unable to volunteer at most rescues. I have no money and I can't rescue because my parents said no. Anyone have ideas??

~Rachel

Mercedez my little princess.
    Chet, It's been a while but you have not been forgotten
    Ceasar&Cricket, your legacy goes on.
    Spark's, you are missed.
    Sugar&Spice , my dynamic duo of Shepherd Doggies.

A few ideas for ya:

1) Collect newspapers and donate them to a nearby shelter (for lining cages).

2) Collect used collars, leashes, dishes, toys, and beds from your neighbors and friends that have pets.

3) Save a little bit of your allowance, baby sitting/ pet sitting money, chore money, etc. and put it towards a charity fund. A dollar a week may not sound like a lot, but every little bit helps.

4) Convince your parents to buy a bag or two of pet food to donate, every once in a while.

What is the age requirement for volunteering? I'm sure there is something out there for you. Ask around at vet's offices, animal fostering organizations, and shelters. I hope you find something.

Good luck to you.

That is so sweet of you to want to help. Donations like blankets * and food are always welcome at your local animal shelter.

We have to be 18

Spark's, you are missed.

Rachel, 18 is also the age to volunteer at my shelter. That means you have to be 18 to volunteer without someone supervising.

I shaperone 3 kids ages 10, 12, and 16 every week. They want to volunteer but need an adult to be around. See if someone can shaperone you.

The other ideas that pupper lover and lovemymaltese gave you were great. perhaps you can make some treats and take them to the shelter. Tennis balls are a great toy for dogs too. See if your high school tennis team can give up their old balls. My tennis team did that when I played in high school.

I wish you the best of luck. What you are doing is a great thing. I hope you can get more support from your parents.

I am so proud to have the same name as someone as good hearted as you. Please do not give up looking for a way to help. Maybe there are some rescue organizations in your area whose requirements aren't as strict. These groups often foster dogs in the volunteers homes. Maybe if you lived near one of the foster homes you could stop by to help groom or exercise the dog or dogs they foster. I think that would be a big help. I mention this because I saw a group of foster dogs at PetsMart this weekend and several of them looked like they needed a good comb out.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I've asked the animal shelter and local golden retriever rescue and for liability reasons I have to be over 18.

Spark's, you are missed.