Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP - My Baby Commodus 4/5/07-5/27/07

Well, the dog that killed your cat.

I still couldn't shoot it. It's a dog - it didn't intentionally do this to cause me and my family sorrow....it had a natural prey instinct, and it just happened. Sure, I was angry, but I can't justify killing a dog...our cat got out accidentally, and the dog acted on its instinct. Yes, I wanted to hurt her, and yes, I wanted to let her out in the street and shut the door behind me....but I could never bring myself to act on that.

Well, the dog killed your cat. At that moment i would act upon my instinct. Becaues the cat is considered your *property* and you have the right to defend it. I would at least cuss the women out.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie
    Well, the dog killed your cat. At that moment i would act upon my instinct. Becaues the cat is considered your *property* and you have the right to defend it. I would at least cuss the women out.
    Pets aren't *property*.

LuckyNumber7 - I am so sorry, again, for Commodus.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I am so sorry to hear this tragic story, my best wishes to you and your fiance and little Commodus. Commodus had loving owners and was victim of an accident. It wasn't the dogs fault it was just doing what it thinks is natural, Jack Russells hunt rabbits and will chase anything small and furry.
    It was an accident, you must not blame yourself, it was unfortunate, I know no words will help with the pain but we are thinking of you and Commodus right now.
    I feel sorry for the lady with the dogs too, as it wasn't the dogs fault.

A cat we used to feed was mauled outside our house by a dog that walked past with it's owner, but I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner for not having it on a lead. So try not to blame the dog, but I know as a true animal lover you wouldn't, it didn't understand what it was doing.

I'm so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom
    Pets aren't *property*.

LuckyNumber7 - I am so sorry, again, for Commodus.
    According to the U.S. Government, It is. I dont consider it porperty but...

I'm so sorry. I watched as you all got this sweet baby. What a horrible thing to happen!
    RIP 03-05-07 Ellie

Oh my, major LES here. I am so sorry for your loss. I know that you are angry, and I think it is justified, but as an animal lover, you also know that it was not the dog's fault. As someone else said, what he did was natural for jack russels... he was hunting, although I know that doesn't help to lessen your pain. I am glad the dogs were gone from your care right away. It was a tragic accident, and no one is really at fault, except maybe the dog owner who said that he liked cats!

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet little Commie. You were on this earth such a short time, but you were very loved, and you will be missed. I am glad that you knew love in your short life. Please look down on your Meowmie and Daddy as they are very upset right now, and miss you terribly. Play hard little one.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

I'm so sorry about Commodus!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Unhappy

I just could not believe when I saw your post about little Commodus!!! Then I read the post. I am just so very, very sorry that this happened!!! PLEASE do not beat up yourself. It was not your fault. Kittens move just so fast and Commodus(from those wonderful photos)LOVED dogs, and had no fear of them, and thought these dogs would treat him like your dogs did!! Even though Commodus was with you a very short time, he was VERY loved!!!
    ORANGE BABY Commodus, please look for my ORANGEMAN, Ralph Syracuse, at the Bridge. Ralph will be your very best older buddy!!! Sleep softly, sweet baby Commodus....Hugs and prayers for you and your fiance...Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

I just found out that Commie's "twin" brother has not been adopted yet, and that despite what happened here with Commie, the woman would love for us to adopt him. She's not upset at all, like I was worried she would be. On Sunday she had a tragedy at her house, too. One of the kittens there was under the recliner, and she did not know it....you probably know where this is going She opened the recliner, and the kitten did not survive. She said to me "Accidents happen, and as awful as it is when they do, they are just that - accidents".

Right now she is calling Commie's brother "cheddar" which I think is a cute, funny name for an Orange kitty. I don't know when we can get him, because he has to be transported here from Tennessee, so we might have to wait until June 9th to get him. But either way, I'm so happy that we can have him. We'll just give Max lots of love and attention until then, so that he's not as lonely.

I know that getting a new kitten is not going to replace Commie in my heart. Nothing can take the place of that special little guy. But at least this will give us something to smile about, and with any luck, Cheddar will have some similar personality traits to Commie, so we can think of him and smile.

Here is the only picture I have of Cheddar so far. I will obviously take a lot more when we get him.

Thank you again everyone, for all of your kind, sincere posts and prayers, and hugs. They mean the world to me and my family right now.

Too many accidents happening. I can't take much more. I'm glad Cheddar may soon be a part of your family. Take good care of him and keep him away from that dog and it's a good idea to even keep him away from yours until you know for certain how they'll react. Good news for you and Ched.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Cheddar does look alot like Commie. Good luck! I like the name, too.
    RIP 03-05-07 Ellie

Medusa, I agree. Way too much tragedy lately. We're going to be extremely careful with this little guy obviously - I can't deal with any more accidents. That being said, our dogs are about as gentle as they come. They play regularly with our 5 ferrets, and are awesome about being gentle with cats and all small animals. But we will be safe with the introductory period to make sure that they are the same with this guy as they were with Commie. Cheddar looks like a maniac in that picture - I can't wait to meet him. It looks like we won't be getting him until June 9th (which seems like a lifetime away!) but that's ok. He needs to be transported here, and I'm having him sent on a transport where I actually know the driver of it, so he will receive the best care possible along the way. He needs to go have his shots done, and receive his health certificate for interstate travel (state laws and such). We'll be giving Max a lot of pets and hugs and snuggles so that he doesn't feel so lonely between now and then.

Also, I just got some weird news. A number of years ago, I lost my job and was being evicted from an apartment I was living in. I had 3 cats at the time, and by a stroke of good luck, was able to place all 3 of them in a home together, which was awesome. They went to live with a Doctor who my mother works with. The other day, my mother told the Doctor that I now own my home, and he said "Oh yeah? Does she by any chance want to take Baby back?" I didn't ask him for my cats back when I bought my house because I didn't think it was fair to subject the cats to bouncing them around like that, or fair to his family to do that to them. He has 2 young children, and I felt like it would be wrong to take a cat from them who they had bonded with. However, in his words, Baby is not "integrating well with the family". I don't know the details yet, but it looks like I'll be getting Baby back She was my very first cat ever, and she's a sweetie. She is a light grey tiger cat with green eyes - I'll see if I can find some pictures of her. If not, I will post some when she gets here. I hope she remembers me

Well, I'm just catching up on this thread. First of all, I am SOO sorry about Commodus. That is a horrible thing and I'm sorry you had to go through it.

On the other hand, I am happy you will be getting his brother, Cheddar. He does look a LOT like Commodus.

And even more great news about your first ever cat, Baby!! See, this is all happening for a reason. I am thinking the young Commodus was on a mission to help you get TWO more kitties.

I can't wait for pictures of Cheddar AND Baby!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)