Thread: Hippo dies at SF Zoo

Hippo dies at SF Zoo

http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_145231236.html

Puddles The Hippo Dies At 44 At SF Zoo
    Animal Euthanized Due To Health Complications

(BCN) SAN FRANCISCO The San Francisco Zoo said goodbye to a long time resident Friday after health complications with Puddles the hippopotamus forced officials to end the life of the 44-year-old father of 16.

Puddles had a full life with his mate Cuddles with whom he had eight male and eight female calves during his life at the zoo.

"Puddles was a very patient animal," Jim Nappi, a San Francisco Zoo keeper said. "He would always let his female companion, Cuddles, eat first and then take his turn. Some of his favorite treats to eat were oranges and pumpkins, which was always fun for visitors to watch. He was a joy to be around and will be missed by all of us."

Respiratory difficulty and trouble standing led to the decision to euthanize Puddles Friday morning, according to a statement from the zoo.

Most hippos live to be between 40 and 50 in a zoo setting. By hippo standards Puddles had a very full life.

Puddles was born in May, 1963 in the Kansas City Zoo before heading west in 1964 for San Francisco.

Hippos, native to Africa, are the third largest land animal and can weigh up to 4,000 pounds. Puddles weighed 3200 pounds.

__________________________________________________ ______________

ok, I dont know why I felt this was important but I guess its sad to see a zoo animal pass on. Puddles lived a long and full life (16 offspring!!!!) but its sad to know his life is over. I know some people don't like zoo environments, but hey after 44 years of life the zoo keepers must have been doing something right! Adios Puddles!

Poor guy.

I think hippos are so cute. They remind me of our English bulldog, Rosie. She definately has the hippo-face!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

RIP Puddles.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

RIP Puddles
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Terribile. Rip Puddles.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    That's so sad. I'm sure I saw Puddles on one of my many visits to the S.F. Zoo.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10