View Poll Results: How do you feel about Greyhound dog races?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never been...but would like to see what its like

34 29.57%
  • couldn't drag me to one...they are inhumane

59 51.30%
  • I go all the time

9 7.83%
  • Been a time or two

13 11.30%
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Races

Never in a million years would I ever go.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Originally posted by pitc9
    Same with me.

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Ditto!

I would love to go, and I dont believe greyhoiund races in inhumane in the slightest, I am pro-racing. by the way I have been hanging outwith people who own racing and retired racing greys for years, and quite frankly the greys dont get agile and muscular etc.. from sitting in crates all day, they are takin out several times a day, they get messages and one on one time, they get fed high quaility food mix real meat etc.. mixed in, and when they retire they are placed in Rescues to find them pet homes.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Double ditto.

I am utterly disgusted by any "sport" or "entertainment" that uses an innocent animal, then euthanizes (at best) the "athletes" once they're used up or don't perform well enough. And don't fool yourself into thinking that doesn't happen. If anyone believes that they all are treated wonderfully, are all placed in loving homes at the end of their "careers", then they’re stupid or just have their head in the sand.

Disgusting.

Ditto!

And don't fool yourself into thinking that doesn't happen. If anyone believes that they all are treated wonderfully, are all placed in loving homes at the end of their "careers", then they’re stupid or just have their head in the sand.
    gee I must have my head in the sand because I know litterally HUNDREDS of greyhound owners, rescuers, and racers, who have all prooved that the greys ARE well takin care of etc.. if you think those dogs are muscular and have exellent structures, and are healthy from being treated horrably etc.. you are the one who has there head in the sand there ARE greys that are treated badly, there are dogs of ALL breeds that are tyreated badly, there is aboslutly ZERO differnce between greys and any other breed of dog in this respect. the dogs are rarly in danger of veing put down, a kennel will keep the dogs until they find a rescue for them, some are put down yes, and some of every other breed on earth are put down for lack of homes too. the dog LOVE to race, its what they were bred to do, RUN. its exactly the same story as some people have with Flyball, people will say its inhumane, the dogs dont enjoy it, its dangerous. all words, no truth.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Listen up Cali. For once I think you need to realize that there are people, who deal with this crap every day, day in day out. Believe it or not, they know a great deal more than you do on this subject. Somehow I seriously doubt that you personally know HUNDREDS of people involved in Greyhound racing, care, rescue, etc. If you do in fact, know SOME people that do care for their animals correctly, good for you, them, and the dogs.

But let me tell you this, you have NO IDEA that rescuers see on a daily friggin' basis with this industry. These dogs are killed, cast aside, left to die, and then the lucky ones are euthanized. Some are beaten to death. Some are starved. Their care is usually no better than at a puppy mill, unless they're a winning dog or a dog that shows promise that it will one day be a winner.

You just have no clue. Grow up and realize that you DON'T know everything about every thing. Open yourself up to learning something once in a while instead of acting like your opinion and "experience" is the only thing that's real.

VERY well said Micki.

If all Greys were treated well, then how come EVERYTIME I go to the shelter there are tons of 1-2 year old Grey's there -- "retired racers".

Gee, I sure hope when I "retire" my family doesn't just toss me out.

Possibly, there are SOME racing Greys that are treated well, but certainly the majority isn't.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I belong to greyhound message board and I have been there far longer then I have been on this board, I have learned a great deal from these people who are by the way rescuers as well. I hardly think I know all, but just because I have differning opinions hardly means I dont know anything, frankly I will continue to research and form my OWN opinions, which I have been doing for years now. I dont follow the crowd, and I dont buy into so called "statistics" that people make up on the spot. and frankly YOU are the one that needs to wake up and see things from another perspective, evedently you are to narow minded to look on the other side
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

i voted i've never been,but would like to see what it was like only beacuase i wanna see what all the fuss is about. i don't like them,but i want to see for myself one of these days.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Didn't mean to stir anything up here..I live 20 minutes from the biggest greyhound track in the country and people are always talking about it. I have never been and don't know a thing about it other than what I have read on the web. Just thought it was an interesting poll.

Originally posted by micki76
    Double ditto.

I am utterly disgusted by any "sport" or "entertainment" that uses an innocent animal, then euthanizes (at best) the "athletes" once they're used up or don't perform well enough. And don't fool yourself into thinking that doesn't happen. If anyone believes that they all are treated wonderfully, are all placed in loving homes at the end of their "careers", then they’re stupid or just have their head in the sand.

Disgusting.
    Agreed
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Ok Cali so if these dogs are treated so well and live such happy lives why do they need these 100s of resucers that you talk about? It's because these animals are bred for entertainment. Then if it weren't for all these rescuers that you talk about the dogs would be put down. I've had a few friends who have adopted ex-racers and everytime I go to a pet event the greyhound rescue is there and they talk about how many of them are put to sleep and the lucky ones get rescued and places into homes. Think about it, if it wasn't a problem would we really need all those people trying to rescue them?
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!