Thread: tips for leaving dog home

tips for leaving dog home

Thinkin of getting a job and some days Runner would be home alone for atleast 8 hours. I can gate her up in tilr bedroom with her gigantic bed food n water. She's not one for toys, but shedoes like "bones" What else can I do so she won't go nuts by being alone?

Well first of all, I wouldn't leave food and water for her because then she'd have to go potty.
    What do you do with her when you leave for a short amount of time?
    Is there stuff she can tear up in that bedroom?
    Maybe start leaving her for longer and longer each time to see how she reacts to it and eventually you can get up to 8 hours.
    I don't like leaving Zoee for that long, because she stays in the bathroom (pretty small space) while we are gone. But I have recently left her outside a couple of times in the backyard and all she does is howl. I've never heard her howl before until I put her in the backyard and set the alarm and left. She knew I was leaving her out there and she cried.
    But I'd rather her be outside and cry than locked up in the bathroom for more than 5 hours. Since it doesn't happen often, and we will only do that in the warm weather.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

the bedroom is kinda spacious. It gets hot here. Short periods shes fine. Sleepin on couch lol.

Kong filled with peanut butter is a good time-user

But she'll probably get into a routine of napping while you're gone.

Stuff to tear up (that's okay)

Toys to carry around ...

She should have a source for water

And remember, you will come home tired from work, but she will be all rested up and raring to go, go GO! Better buy a new pair of good walking shoes!

We leave our three in separate crates in our kitchen. Each one has a small water bowl that hooks onto the side of the crate. And two of them have a pillow/bed in their crate. Sometimes we'll put a kong in there with them.

We let them outside right before we leave and then right when we get home. Theyve had a few accidents the first couple times we left them of 8 hrs straight.. but now they dont have any problems with it.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

i leave a radio turned on, it helps muffle the street sounds. i take them for a walk(yes i get up early ) and give the filled kong right before i pick up my purse and keys. they have their sleep spots, and if i get home early, they boh have sleepy eyes. can you have a family member or close friend stop by midday for a check/potty break?
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I leave Jasper just a small amount of water, otherwise he pees indoors. Sometimes I'll leave music on for him. Usually I just leave the lights out and some soft music on and he sleeps all day so he can be wild when I'm trying to get ready for bed.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

i'm not the best dog owner, but I leave my dog alone for about half the day and as far as I can tell she just sleeps on my bed in our room while i'm gone. Then when I'm home she sleeps on the couch while I watch TV or play on my laptop.