Thread: Questions About Rats (and budgies)

Questions About Rats (and budgies)

Hi, although i don't post much i absolutely love reading the forums and now that i'm out of school i promise i'll post more! Anyways, i have two rats named shirley and charlotte and they are about 7 1/2 months old. They are not the nicest rats and they bite alot but i'm working on taming them. They've always had problems with mycoplasma, but i haven't ever taken them to the vet because it's an off and on kinda thing. But lately, when i hold Shirley, she'll start shaking terribly. During these tremors, she'll sometimes sneeze, but usually she'll just eventually stop. Can anybody explain this? Also, in about 2 months i will be getting a budgie. I was wondering if it is safe to house 2 ratties and a bird in the same room? Can they give eachother diseases? Any input would be great!

-abby

I know nothing about rats........RATS!! (sorry for the trying to be funny line)

and about budgie......I see noproblem about it, just that check the thing going on with your rats and see if it´s contagious to other species, if not you can surely house them but not in same cage!!.... same room will do fine, just be sure to get an adecuate cage for a budgie.......
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Thanks Husky Mom for the reply! Oh, and of course I would never house them in the same cage lol! The rats have a nice and big cage on one side of the room and I would place the budgie cage on the other side, but I'm still worried because I think birds can get mycoplasma but I don't know if it's the same strain rats get. Also, the budgie cage I'm getting is 30 inches long and 18 inches wide and 18 inches tall, so the bird will definately have adequate space!

I´m checking online and some variant CAN be passed on to birds.... so you need to make sure what is exactly what they´ve got, even ask a vet..... or just don´t get a bird.... as this affects their respiratory system and birds are so vulnerable........and some can also be passed on to humans and it´s what we call pneumonia
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

I´m checking online and some variant CAN be passed on to birds.... so you need to make sure what is exactly what they´ve got, even ask a vet..... or just don´t get a bird.... as this affects their respiratory system and birds are so vulnerable........and some can also be passed on to humans and it´s what we call pneumonia

notes-to-my-husband blog

Thanks Husky Mom once again for responding. I have thought deeply about taking them to the vet, and I have enough money, too. The reason I haven't yet is 1. they are pretty unsocial and I'm worried about them getting traumatized by a vet and 2. although I have the cash (it's the money I'm using to save up for a bird) I would like to avoid the vet bills because at my vet taking rats in is very expensive. I don't know if she shakes because she's ticklish or if it's another problem. I have also thought about it and I will probably wait until the rats pass before I get a bird, but I guess I'll make the ultimate decision after I get to talk to the very experienced bird breeder of 30 years and pet shop owner down the street from me.

I've been through the whole myco thing with my rats before(its the whole reason I'm so insistant about quarantining all new animals). Is it possible you can take your rats to the vet to get some meds? I know its an off and on thing, but myco can get pretty nasty.

To be on the safe side, I wouldn't house a bird in the same room as rats that have myco. Plus, if you plan on letting the bird have time out of its cage, then there is the possibility that it could land on the rat cage. A rat's bite on the leg of a small bird like a budgie(or any bird for that matter) would be a tragedy.

Good luck in your decision. =D

Thanks Chilli for the response. Today they haven't sneezed, which is definately an achievement! I started recently using carefresh instead of a cheap aspen, and it's been doing wonders. I have some meds here for the rats too (it's a long story, I got them from our family friend at the bird/pet shop) but to be safe I probably will wait till the rats pass to get a budgie. Thanks everyone thought for giving their opinions!

P.S: Sorry I was lacking the info about the myco going down with the new bedding in the first part, I just forgot to include that. Still, does anyone know why the rats shake when I hold them??

-Abby

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    I've been through the whole myco thing with my rats before(its the whole reason I'm so insistant about quarantining all new animals).
    If you're worried about Myco quarantining will do no good. Almost all rats carry Mycoplasma. Pretty much the only way a rat won't have it is if it came from a lab or was born via c-section. It is very very rare a rat will test negative for Myco. Also, despite what a lot of people think, Myco isn't the only disease that can cause off and on symptoms. There are many other viruses/bacteria out there that stick around forever such as CAR and others.

Here is a link every pet rat owner should read!

http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/...oplasmosis.php
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    Plus, if you plan on letting the bird have time out of its cage, then there is the possibility that it could land on the rat cage. A rat's bite on the leg of a small bird like a budgie(or any bird for that matter) would be a tragedy.
    I agree 100%!!! A rat could very easily bite the leg off a bird in a matter of seconds. Rats can be very territorial of their cage and space.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Thanks once again for responding! This is such a decision right now. My rats have never had porphyrin around their eyes or nose and they've never wheezed or clicked. I really want a bird but I suppose I must do what's best for the rats and the bird. I guess I could possibly convince my parents to let me house a bird somewhere else in the house. So, for sure, I should not house a bird and 2 rats in the same room?

I just wanted to add that I know how frustrating Myco can be, and in most cases a flare-up doesn't require a vet visit. Myco is caused by spores, which are nigh impossible to kill and impossible to eradicate completely.

I had a parrotlet housed in the same room with a pair of rats and a bunch of reptiles and he thrived. The snakes, however, were forever eyeballing the rats.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by mousie
    So, for sure, I should not house a bird and 2 rats in the same room?
    It just really really depends on how much you want to risk it. Even with clipped wings, most birds learn how to glide.

Housing a bird in a different room is a perfect solution. My birds have the office to themselves so that the other animals in the house can't torment them. They love it because they can be out almost constantly(when supervised, of course. ) and I don't have to worry.

Thanks everybody! I'm thinking about trying to house them in the same room and if it doesn't go well I have another room that the rats can go into. I shouldn't get too ahead of myself though because I'm getting the bird in 2 months but I really want one now . Thanks though for responding and like Cathy said the ratties have never had an outbreak, just little sneezies here and there!