Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Orphaned bunny.

R.I.P Orphaned bunny.

The place where I work is a 2 story bulding and there is animal adoptions upstairs and my boss came in this morning and there was a baby bunny in a box with a note on the lid saying "Baby bunny inside please feed him his breakfast". He has his eyes open and his ears are opening at the top. Nobody at work wanted to/had time to take him home and care for him and since I've done this before and have bunnies (for bunny poo to feed him) it just made sense for me to take him. I took out all the stuff they had in the box and dumped it, replaced it with a towel, hay, poo and since the bunnies are shedding like crazy I put their fur in. There is also woods right near me that I can let him go at when he's old enough.

I know no getting attached but his name is Bob the bunny. He needed a name.

I'll possibly get pictures later on but I doubt it not until a couple days anyways.

EDIT: Here are pictures. I decided to change his name to Oliver like Oliver Twist the orphan since he's a orphan too.

He kept trying to run over to me so he was really hard to take pictures of. And his ears look 10 x's too big for his tiny head lol.

Two for size comparision as he grows.

Last edited by buttercup132; 05-30-2007 at 12:58 PM.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

awww poor baby bun......glad you were there

any descriptions in the meantime??
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Aww poor little bunny, I'm so glad that they came to you though, if not who knows what could have happened to the little one. Thanks so much Buttercup for taking in the bunny baby do you have any pictures?

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Aww, thanks so much for helping the little guy out.
    I can't wait to hopefully see pictures.

Congrats. Why wobnt you keep it? Is it a wild bunny? I have kept wild animals before and they arent too much worse than domesticated animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber
    Aww. Good on you for helping!

Why would you release him into the wild if he's a domestic rabbit?
    It's a wild bunny.

Congrats. Why wobnt you keep it? Is it a wild bunny? I have kept wild animals before and they arent too much worse than domesticated animals

Because like I said it's a wild bunny and just because you have dosen't mean it's ok. It's very wrong to keep them and they aren't happy. Domestic animals have evolved to suit our life style for the most part. Wild animals need to be in the wild it's not fair to keep them.
    See ALL my pets here

He's adorable!!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

what a cutie!!......and so small what is he like 2 weeks??.......

one doubt here......... if he grows in a house environment he´ll learn domestic manners.... even if not intended..... how are you going to release him when you do?.... just like that and manage his own (I don´t think so but I wanted to ask anyway)

or are you going to handle his growing in a more "rustic" /"wild" way so he doesn´t gets used to people and handling and free food.........just curious as how to do
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Are you sure he is wild? He could be domestic some domestic rabbits come in that color. I had some born in a litter that looked identical to that. Just a thought. He is cute! Good luck!

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Awww how could you not get attached to that little guy, he's so so so cute! Buttercup...you are going to have a hard time not getting attached to him lol, good luck. I'm attached already lol.

Whatever your decision is, I think you will do the right thing for this cute little ball of life

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Yeah i have saw a domestic rabbit that color.

one doubt here......... if he grows in a house environment he´ll learn domestic manners.... even if not intended..... how are you going to release him when you do?.... just like that and manage his own (I don´t think so but I wanted to ask anyway)

or are you going to handle his growing in a more "rustic" /"wild" way so he doesn´t gets used to people and handling and free food.........just curious as how to do
    They still have all their wild instincts no matter how hard you tried to domesticate it. My old friend's god mom raised a couple of wild babies and she kept one of them and even though she handled it alot it still hated being touched. I don't take him out and play with him , I take him to feed him and make him pee and document his growth. I also am letting him out without me like touching him kind of like I'm ignoring him but still keeping a eye on him. He may be a little less scared of people but he still won't just go up to them. I don't think people understand how much you need to handle and be around a DOMESTIC rabbit to get it to be friendly let alone a wild rabbit. He is not having food handed to him like pellets or hay. Once he's old enough he will be getting greens from outside and be going outside to eat. If he was fed pellets and hay no he probly would have a slimer chance of surviving in the wild.
    I know a few people who have done this before and they were fine and skitish when they were set free.

I guess I should have included what the whole note said on the top of the box. " Baby bunny inside. Please feed him his breakfast. (Nest destoryed) (Orphan)"
    Is exactly what it said. So there is no doubt that it is wild. I know they come in that colour but as it grows you'll be able to see the differences.

I know Kalie it's going to be hard. I really don't want another bunny right now though. My boys are enough for me. So I'll just enjoy his super cute baby-ness I keep telling myself I will not get attached I will not get attached.
    See ALL my pets here

Awwww, kudos to you for taking him on!! At what age will he be released?

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Way to go for helping this lil baby! He is ADORABLE!!! Good luck releasing him! He belongs in the wild. I love seeing all the bunnies running and playing in my yard.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I have to ask my bunny board about which age to release beacuse I don't know that part. I think I will let him go when he's going into his teen stage.

But he survived through night one
    See ALL my pets here