Thread: kitty peepee problems :(

kitty peepee problems :(

our 11-month old kitten has been peeing outside of the litter box for the past month or so. he's been peeing on any sort of rug or towel left on the floor, so there are no more towels on the floor now. my boyfriend left a towel on the bed for an hour or two, and i caught my kitten laying on it and looking extremely calm. i picked him up and sure enough, he had peed on the towel. i removed the towel, sheets, and put new sheets on. i just got in bed, and there was PEE seeping through the duvet cover, the comforter, the sheets, and the bottom sheets......

we don't want to use physical discipline - of course. i did, however, put his face in the sheet with the pee on it, and now he's locked up. i feel TERRIBLE for doing this......

we've tried some "feliway pheremone spray" (about $30 at the vet). i've sprayed it around the litter box areas of our house but that doesn't really seem to work either.....

any help or suggestions (leading to success stories!) from anyone who has had similar problems would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks,
    distressed kitty mama

I would take him to the vet to rule out a health issue.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Definitely a trip to the vet. Could be something as simple as a bladder infection, and a few days on antibiotics will clear it up.

Also - if he is not neutered, that is a huge cause...but from what you are saying, I don't think it is that.

Good luck...and please update us on your kitty's progress!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Health issues are the #1 cause of inappropriate peeing. Have him looked at by a vet and get a urinalysis.

As for the feliway, you are suppose to spray the feliway where the cat is NOT suppose to pee. The theory behind how it works is that a cat does not pee where the feliway hormones are sprayed. So don't spray it around the litter box, spray it where he has peed ELSEWHERE in the house.

I do have one question though, did you have him declawed? I ask because you say he is seeking out SOFT things, a common sign that his feet hurt from the declaw. But if this is not the case, then UTI or crystals in the urine would be the most likely cause.

I echo what all the others have said - take kitty to the vet
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Once you've ruled out health problems, I have an idea for you. They say animals don't want to pee where they eat, so put the food dish near his "favorite spots" to discourage him.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

Yup if he was doing fine until a month ago, he is more likely to have a medical issue. Trip to the vet in order for this one! Let us know.

Echoing the others, take him in and let us know how it goes!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

This Article about Inapporopriate Kitty Urination might help

Hi, I have an article posted on my blog by Mike Fry from Animal Wise Radio.

I will paste it in here for you to read. It's kind of lengthy but very informitive.

I hope this helps!!!

Inappropriate Kitty Urination is Problematic - Not Fun, But Fixable

A fast and thorough response to inappropriate cat urination will most always resolve the problem.

by Mike Fry

Let’s face it, cat pee is nasty stuff. So when the family cat begins to urinate outside the litter box, it can cause endless problems. While many people dealing with inappropriate urination may become frustrated and blame the kitty, it should remembered that this sort of behavior is often a sign that the cat is having problems of its own.

Causes of inappropriate urination can fit into two categories: medical or behavioral. A host of urinary tract problems, ranging from inflammation of any part of the urinary tract to a variety of infections are examples of medical problems that can cause a cat (male or female) to urinate outside the litter box. Behavioral explanations for inappropriate urination can be even more challenging, because when it comes to their bathroom habits, kitties are complex creatures. Following are a few of the different behavioral items that can cause a cat to begin urinating inappropriately. This list is, by no means, complete. It does, however, represent some of the more common explanations for this behavior.

LAS (Litter Aversion Syndrome)
    Litter Aversion Syndrome is really just a fancy way of saying that many cats do not like the litter they are offered. This is especially common with clay litters, leading many people to conclude that something (excessive dust?) is unpleasant to the cat and serves to deter them from using the product.

Multiple Cats Using One Litter Box
    Many cats do not like to use a litter box that has already been used by another cat. (Can you blame them?!)

Dirty Litter Box
    Some cats will not use a dirty litter box. Others will not defecate in a box they have already used to urinate.

Addition of a New Cat
    Because urine is used by cats as a way of marking their territory, the addition of a new cat can trigger urine marking.

Failure to Spay or Neuter a Cat
    Fertile kitties are much more likely to mark with urine than are fixed animals.

Declawing a Cat
    Removal of a cat’s claws removes their primary defense mechanism. This can make them more territorial and result in increased likelihood they will urine mark their territory. Additionally, new research into the practice of declawing cats has shown that a very high percentage of cats that have had their claws removed suffer chronic phantom pain that increases stress for the felines and causes a dramatic increase in a wide-variety of negative behaviors, including litter box “issues.”

Added New Furniture
    Sometimes something so simple as getting new furniture can lead to urine marking. Leather furniture seems to be especially vulnerable to being marked, possibly because the acids used to tan leather may be similar to uric acid.

Area Previously “Marked”
    An area that has previously been marked with cat urine will continue to attract cats to mark there, even after it has been cleaned. It is also worth noting that some household cleaners, like those containing ammonia, can stimulate marking behavior in cats.

With all of these possible causes to potty problems in cats, it is no surprise that diagnosing and solving inappropriate urination can be challenging, especially since medical and behavioral issues can work together to perpetuate the undesirable behavior. For example, a urinary tract infection can cause a cat to dribble urine throughout the living space, resulting in numerous “marked” areas where cats may be inclined to urinate in the future.

With all of these possible causes, diagnosing the real underlying issue leading to inappropriate urination can be a real challenge. However, stopping the behavior is do-able so long as all of these complexities are taken into account in the final solution. Following is a step-by-step guide to stopping inappropriate urination, regardless of the cause. If followed carefully and completely, this protocol will end inappropriate urination with nearly 100% of cats exhibiting this behavior.

Step 1 - Vet Visit
    A visit to the vet is the first step in ending urination problems with your cat. Your vet can help you determine if there is a medical problem that needs to be resolved before going on to the next steps.

Step 2 - Confine the Problem Kitty
    Find a single room in the house where the cat can be comfortable but where its movement around the house can be easily restricted. A bathroom works very well. Move the cat’s litter box, food and water to this room. (note: make sure the litter box is as far away as possible from the food and water). The cat should be confined to this area for a period of at least 2 weeks. This firmly establishes this space as the cat’s territory and provides sufficient time to break any old “habits.”

Step 3 - Feed Only Quality Canned Food
    Since cats are not big drinkers, they get much of their moisture from their food. Even if your veterinarian does not find a medical problem, it is possible one still exists. More recent research into feline urinary tract problems indicate that a host of urinary tract problems are caused by feeding cats dry food with poor quality protein. Avoid foods with any form of by-products or chemical preservatives. Feed canned foods with quality, whole meat sources. Some may tell you (including your veterinarian) that your cat needs dry food to keep their teeth clean. However, those who make the switch to quality canned foods generally report fewer dental problems, not more. Solid Gold, Felidae and Wellness are some canned foods we highly recommend. Some of them contain cranberry, proven to help the urinary tract of cats with urinary problems.

Make the change to the new food gradually.

Step 4 - Locate & Clean All Previously Marked Areas
    Turn off your lights in the house at night, then use a black light to look for areas that need to be cleaned. Areas marked with cat urine will glow under the black light. Use a wet vac (we recommend a Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner) to clean any areas you find. Once clean, treat with KO Odorless Odor Eliminator. KO eliminates cat urine smell permanently and completely. Unlike old fashioned enzymatic cleaners, KO is nontoxic, biodegradable, leaves no odor of its own and is safe to use on a wide variety of fabrics and materials. Areas treated with KO Odorless Odor Eliminator no longer attract cat marking.

Step 5 - Change to a Premium, Dust Free Litter
    We recommend the Worlds Best Cat Litter. The reasons for using this product are many. To put it simply, it is the worlds best cat litter! Not only is it dust-free, it is the best clumping litter we have encountered. Because it contains no clay, problems often associated with other scoopable litters are avoided. The Worlds Best Cat Litter is made of corn and may be flushed down the toilet, offering unparalleled convenience for cleaning. Just scoop and flush. Cats also seem to love to dig and cover when using this product. For stubborn cats, a product called Cat Attract

Step 6 - Keep the Litter Box Clean
    Ideally, trade in your old litter box for a self-cleaning LitterMaid. This ensures your cat will have a clean box to use every time nature calls. The Worlds Best Cat Litter used in combination with a LitterMaid will guarantee your cat has a fresh, clean and inviting bathroom twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Without a LitterMaid, it will be critical to manually clean the litter box at least twice per day. Cat Attract also works well in a LitterMaid.

Step 7 - Spray Previously Marked Areas with Feliway
    This new spray product will help retrain your cat to not mark in the house. Continue to spray key areas just prior to allowing the cat supervised visits to the rest of the house.

Step 8 - Supervised Excursions
    Following the two week confinement period, begin letting the cat have supervised excursions to the rest of the house. At night time and when not being directly supervised, the cat should still be kept in the confinement area. Gradually begin giving them increased freedom to roam the house. If you observe the cat about to urinate or defecate outside of their litter box, Take them directly to their litter box and confine them again. Continue using the Feliway per the instructions on the package for a period of at least 30 days.

Step 9 - Keep the Litter Box in Place
    Once the cat has full, unsupervised access to the entire house, keep the new litter box in place. If it is your goal to move the litter box, do so very gradually. It is best to add a new litter box and ensure the cat is comfortable using it before removing or moving the old one. Cat Attract is a good product to use to draw your feline to a new litter box.

Other Litter Box Tips

Make sure you have at least one litter box for each cat in your house. The litter boxes should not be right next to each other. Some cats do not mind sharing. But it is far better to avoid potential future problems by giving each cat their own box.

Clean the litter boxes often! Cats will be more likely to use them, and to be comfortable sharing litter boxes, if they are kept clean at all times.

Keep litter boxes in different areas of the house.

Place litter boxes in quiet, private areas. Most cats prefer privacy when using the litter box.

Avoid the use of covered litter boxes. Covers trap smell and bacteria and may keep your kitty from wanting to use the litter pan. Generally, covers are more for people: they help to conceal a dirty litter box. Covered boxes are, therefore, less frequently cleaned. So just don’t use them.

Do not de claw your cat, or you may end up creating litter box issues in the future…

Mike Fry
    Executive Director Animal Ark No Kill Shelter http://www.animalarkshelter.org
    Co-Host of Animal Wise Radio http://www.animalwiseradio.com

Thank You and i hope it helped you.
    Travis Holzem - The Odor Doctor
    www.sayno2odors.com
    Last edited by odor docotor; 11-16-2007 at 02:22 PM.

That's an excellent article and there really is nothing that I can add except to say that I feel for ya. My Yodie Yodie does that, too. Whenever I spread laundry on the floor, she very sneakily pees on the towels. She's on Clomicalm now and that has stopped. But it's definitely behavioral w/her. Good luck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11