Thread: Any tips for introducing cats?

Any tips for introducing cats?

My girl Zoe lost her brother Zac a month ago now. While not exactly pining, she has seemed a little lonely and we thought it was time for a new friend - plus we wanted to give a cat from a shelter a good home, and we miss having two cats as much as Zoe appeared to.

Anyway, "Snowy" came home yesterday (I know, Zoe and Snowy sounds ridiculous, but he seems to know his name so I guess we're stuck with it ). He's 15 months old, and the kindest, sweetest natured boy you could imagine.

The trouble is, Zoe won't stop hissing and growling every time she sees him. Yesterday Snowy seemed to take things in his stride. He happily explored the house, ate lots of food, generally had a great time. However much Zoe hissed at him, he didn't hiss back at all. He lay down, rolled over, made it clear he regarded her as the boss. Today, however, he found his way under the bed and spent a good part of the day there.

At the moment he's in his human brother Chris's room (with food, water, etc) and seems to be happy again. When Zoe went to sleep in the office, Snowy came out and spent part of the evening with us, now we've swapped back again - Zoe's sitting here with me now. I've been sure to keep making a fuss of her.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make things run more smoothly? - I want them both to feel loved and secure, and I really want Zoe to stop hissing at poor Snowy!

Quote Originally Posted by Zac and Zoe's Mum
    I want them both to feel loved and secure, and I really want Zoe to stop hissing at poor Snowy!
    Congratulations on your new addition, and taking in a rescue kitty!

I bet you KNOW how to make them feel loved and secure. Just feed them, snuggle, pet, brush, chin rubs, all that wonderful stuff which goes along with owning a kitty.

When they both feel loved and secure, they will know they live in harmony together.

What you can NOT do is make them be best friends, or buddies. That is up to them.

Zoe's hissing at him can last from 3 days to 3 weeks. It takes each cat in their own time to adjust to a new arrival. They also need to set heirarchy, and leadership roles. Generally, cats in a wild colony live in a matriarchal society, so Zoe is making it clear to him that SHE is the queen of this little colony!

Providing quiet time for each cat, places they can go without the other one in the face, that is all a wonderful way to introduce them. Don't force them in each other's face, let them reach that all on their own. And Snow has SO much to adapt to just now, not "just" Zoe, but new humans, new home, new foods, sights, smells and routines. Not a surprise that sometimes he jsut wants to hide under the bed and get some rest! It can be overwhleming to them initially. He is young and will get acclimated quite quickly.

You may want to keep a water squirt bottle handy. At some point, depending on Snow's personality, he may challenge her a bit. As long as they are just hissing, no need for you to intervene. And even a tussle won't need interrupting, they need to work things out between them. Only stop them if it is getting too serious.

Sit back and watch the fun of these 2 personalities interacting!

In the Found Cat Hotel I always keep the New Cat in a room and introduce them gradually and let them get used to each other.
    I am fortunate in that the Found Cats are friendly and New Cats always seem to wind up in a pile.
    The best of luck Snowy and we know that Zoe will realize that you should be Pals.

JJJ3 and Precious whos in her new bed.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Here's some introduction advice I found from when I posted way back in 2004.

Rub them down with an old rag and let YOUR cats smell their scent. Do the same thing with your cats. This way they will all know that there are new kids on the block. I assume they are all neutered. If not, I strongly suggest it. Unneutered males can be very aggressive.

Go in and spend time with both of them. Lay on the floor and give them treats, gently talking to them. They will probably hide, that's normal. But they'll get used to you and their surroundings the more time you spend with them.

Give them a couple of weeks. Then, if you have baby gates, or know someone who does, borrow them and stack 2 of them one on top of the other in the doorway. This way they can see and smell each other and get acquainted safely. Once you feel comfortable in that they can be let out WITH supervision, take the gates down and see what happens. Also, have a squirt bottle handy, should anything erupt. There will be hissing and spitting, that's normal. Don't squirt them unless a serious fight erupts, then separate them again. Your cats will show them THEIR order in the crew.

Patience is the key to gradual introduction of 2 new adult cats into a home with other resident cats. It'll probably take a while, but then again, they may surprize you and be the best of buds. Cats are strange creatures of habit. They don't like change.

You'll also need one cat box for EACH cat, as well as food and water dishes

Hope it helps.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! And fear not, the hissing and growing will stop (in its own good time).

Sounds like Snowy will NOT be a rival for top cat, and that will make for Zoe to accept him better, but it still takes some time.

Thanks for the replies!

Freedom, you're right - I do know how to make them feel loved and secure. I think I'm just worrying too much - will Zoe think I don't love her because there's a new kitty? (of course she won't think that!) Will Snowy be traumatized for life because Zoe hissed at him? (of course he won't be!).

Gary, I've seen your piles of cats and I think they're gorgeous! Zac and Zoe used to pile together all the time, and I'm really hoping Zoe and Snowy will too, although I know I can't force them!

Moosmom, Snowy has been neutered - the shelter desexes and microchips all cats and dogs before putting them up for adoption, but I think he'd already been done before he arrived there. Zoe was speyed years ago.

Jen, I agree. Snowy has not even hissed once, which is amazing really. He's a very laid back cat and I think he'll be happy to let Zoe be top cat. By the way, she's new to that role. Her brother Zac was definitely the alpha cat before.

I'm hopeful that things may be calming down a bit. We let them meet this morning and they settled down about 6 feet apart and just looked at each other. Fingers crossed!

Here's a couple of pictures. Snowy's is from his adoption webpage (I've taken some, but I need to download them from the camera).

My beautiful princess Zoe:

Snowy - how could you not love that face!