Thread: Question- worms maybe?

Question- worms maybe?

I'm sorry that this may sound gross, but there is no other way to put it. My Jack Russell has been licking her butt a lot lately. I mean, she is really going to town. She used to lick "down there" briefly after peeing, but her licking seems almost excessive. It grosses me out. I actually tried checking out the area around her butt and I didn't see anything. She is on Heartguard and Frontline. Could she have some kind of worms? If so, how do you get them and how do you get rid of them? Please help!! Thank you.
    I love my Jack Russells, Lilo & Stitch!

It could be worms. Or just as likely impacted anal glands. A quick trip to the Vet would answer whether the anal glands are impacted. If so then the Vet can express them.

I have my critters on Sentinel for heartworm year around. It also knocks out, just about every other worm except whipworms and tapeworms.

How are things now?
    Any change?
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

There are many reasons why she could be doing this. Anal glands as suggested, also; urinary tract infection or incontinence, coming into heat, vaginal infection or just some sort of irritation. If the behavior continues it would be wise to have the vet take a look at her.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

She seems to be better

Thanks for your advice. She does not seem to be licking too much lately. She has her annual appointment soon, so I will have her checked for everything then. I was told to being in a stool sample, so I will do that too. I check her stools everyday and I don't see anything strange. It may very well be a UTI- I thought she had one before but she didn't..
    I love my Jack Russells, Lilo & Stitch!

Is she swelling for a heat? If so that is why as they lick alot coming into heat swelling first week, then second week is drip of the blood. they lick then so watch her.
    she could have a urinary infection, might want to have a vet look at her as females get this and could be serious if left go. Might want to dab some perxoide on there to sooth and release any bacteria for the moment, see if it helps any? It sure will not hurt her. good luck...