Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more walks for Kia

Phred, I don't think there is anything wrong with prong collar, but it probably wouldn't work much for this. Kia sounds like at 9 yrs old, she
    doesn't think it's fun anymore.Sounds like she literally, wants to stop and
    smell the roses, along the way.

Does she seem upset if you just go without her?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I do use the "baby talk" which gets Chipper all worked up, but Kia just lays there with a "Do I have too?" look.

Today it rained, so no walkie for either of them, but tomorrow, I'll get up early and take Chipper out for a brisk hike, then get Kia and take her for a "smelling the roses" trip.

As for the surface, it depends on the route. Mostly grass or gravel with a few paved driveways in between.

I took just Chipper out for a potty break because Kia would not budge. When we came back, she greeted us at the door looking curious about where we went, but didn't seem upset that she was left behind.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Try not to bring her on the gravel. I used to take my Sherry to the flea market all the time and it was mostly gravel. After awhile, she didn't want to walk. I realized it was the gravel. Since I couldn't do anything about it, I got a large plastic wagon and put her in it and rode her around the flea market. She loved it! Little Miss Princess was being chauffered and got everyone's attention - and God did she eat that up. I used it alot as she got older and her legs got bad. I took that thing everywhere. I put a blanket in the bottom so it wasn't hard or bumpy for her and picked her up and put her in it. She was nervous at first, but then loved it. She wasn't spoiled, was she? So, maybe the gravel is hurting her feet - especially at 9 years old.

woow.. 9??? I never knew she was older than five.

gravel? jealousy? aging? too much roses? poor kia. have andy tried solo with her? (not with you..) and acts the same?

any improvement? hope you have figured out something for your little girl.
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

my first thought is
    Have you contacted Nancy?

gentle hugs and big kisses to the precious poocher!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Kimmy, if it were me ... you've had Kia checked out, she's happy to be left at home, that's what she chooses, I wouldn't worry about it. You never know after a while of being left behind she might have a change of heart.
    {{hugs}} For a wonderful doggy mom & {{hugs}} for the beautiful girl who has her worried.
    ... Oh, and some more {{hugs}} for Chipper and Andy too, don't want leave them out.

Walking with Kia

Here are some ideas for you to check or try:

As one ages, even in dogs, they sometimes dislike anything around their neck. It seems that area becomes especially sensitive. You might try a harness instead of a collar and leash arrangement and see if that helps.

Have you discussed this with the vet or had her hips/pads/ spine checked out?

Is she constipated or otherwise in pain? Old dogs etc often have this problem and it's often overlooked until they're bound up tight.

She doesn't have to 'go for a walk' to get exercise...maybe she'd rather have some one on one playtime with you instead? Much more fun to chase a ball or play tug of war with you than to walk the same ol' walk every day.

When she pulls your arm/shoulder so it hurts, stop, rub your shoulder, and say Owwww! Don't do that, it hurts! She'll understand from your tone of voice and, perhaps this will help her 'ease up' a bit...unless she's angry at you for some reason. If she's normally friendly and obedient with you, she'll pick up on your pain also, if you share it with her.

My take on it is that she's telling you loudly and clearly that something is wrong...up to you to test things out and get her checked out to make sure it's nothing serious. BTW, check her toenails also. A torn or ingrown nail can be extremely painful.

Another thing to check for: a foxtail, especially if she has run on grass that may contain foxtails from rye grass. Those things can work their way in between the pads and embed themselves so all you can see is a little tail sticking out...very painful and must be removed, often by the vet. The stickers point backward so they're very difficult to just pull out intact.

Good luck being a dog detective.

Callie