Thread: No more walks for Kia

Hybrid View

Unhappy No more walks for Kia

I just cannot go on one more "walk" with Kia. She was bad before, but now, ever since we got Chipper she's been worse.

The only way I can describe it is that she drags her feet and walks as slowly as possible so that she's way behind me, the leash taunt, and my arm and shoulder wrenched backwards. I'm now having pain issues.

I just don't get what Kia's deal is. According to the vet she's the picture of good health. She has no limps, has no issues running off leash at the park, and wrestles with Chipper constantly.

She gets plenty of water before, during, and after the walks during these hot days.

But lately she's dragging the second we're out the door. It's as if the walk is just too much to bear.

I can't take the looks anymore from strangers or the pain (both physical and mental). She obviously doesn't want to go for walks so I'm going to oblidge. From now on she gets potty breaks but Chipper will be my walking partner.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Wow, I am stumped by that too Kimmy. I can't imagine what could be causing this behavior. Do you know if she walks ok if you are walking Chipper and someone else has Kia? I don't have any ideas at the moment.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Exclamation

Is this Kia's way of saying she's "upset" that she has to *share* Mommy with Chipper?

What happens if you hook up ONLY Kia and take her on a walk all by herself?

For a while I worried about Cinder & Smokey on their Y-Thingy ... that one
    was going to break the other's neck.
    Not to worry - they're about evenly matched in pulling power AND stubbornness ~
    what one gives out the other promptly returns!
    And it's about a 50-50 split with who's the Lead Dawg at any minute.

Do Kia and Chipper sort of "share" the Lead Dog position as to WHO decides where they go?

Hope Kia decides to re-join the walkathons.

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

That is odd. Kia's doing this every time you walk? How old is Kia now?

I've noticed Star dragging behind once in a while, usually when we leave the dogpark, and I figure she's just not in any hurry to get into the car. I've already decided to take her for one leisurly walk a day, and then bring Sherman on another quicker-paced walk. But there's also 6 yrs. difference in their ages, which may account for some ot her slowing down.

Have you checked between the pads on Kia's paws for signs of trouble? Star had that growth on her pad, and I think it was annoying enough that she didn't want to be hurried. It was removed a couple months ago, she seems perkier now.

Payson has always been like this, it's tough to get him to just walk down to the end of the complex. For some reason he seems to do much better when both Alexa and I walk him. He does the best when one of us takes him out, the other waits a minute then goes outside. He's so excited that whoever was missing (me or Alexa) came out to join that he forgets how much he hates going out on walks.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Do you always take the same walk? Does she do that if you go for a walk somewhere else (like over your parents house)? Ginger gets very stubborn and drags like that when we go on certain walks because she doesn't want to go in that direction (because something-usually a dog-has scared her on that street, or whatever). Is there a park near you? Does she do the same thing when you go there? Is it something about having the leash on that causes her stress? From what you have said it doesn't sound like a health issue but it sounds like she is either frightened or uncomfortable while walking. Ginger is a very timid dog so I guess I just think of that kind of thing first. Does Kia have any issues like that?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth

She drags her feet and walks as slowly as possible so that she's way behind me,
    the leash taunt, and my arm and shoulder wrenched backwards.
    I'm now having pain issues.

She obviously doesn't want to go for walks so I'm going to oblige.
    From now on she gets potty breaks but Chipper will be my walking partner.
    Kia sound like "the Old Man" (aka Bowser).
    Poor Guy, has to *shuffle* along on 3-Paw Drive - and #3 *sputters* these days.

He's passed the time when he can try to keep up with the Dynamic Duo, so they run by
    themselves on a Y-Thingy (coupler) and <drag> a leash;
    whilst Bowz and I <shuffle> along like the geriatric Old Pharts we are.

He DOES "lag behind" and checks Pee-Mail on every blade of grass ...
    but I'm not much faster!

A suggestion to help Kia "hustle up" just a bit ...
    can you try a "pinch collar" on her?

Now don't everyone out on me ... you don't have to try to strangle her with it ...
    but a properly fitted Pinch might encourage her to pick up the pace to a more
    reasonable gait,
    AND ease the pain in your arm & shoulder.

Get one at PetSmart and you can take it back for a full refund if it doesn't
    help with the problem.

Giddy-UP, Kia!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

that is such odd behavior, I have never heard of a dog doing this before inless they were REALLY old,or handycapped in some way.. wich Kia isn't.. Do you get her hyped up aout walks ever? like say "Wanna go for a walk kia!! Wanna go walkie?" in a high pitched baby voice lol? I do that to my dogs and they go nutzo.. I Kia better when she is off the leash walking? Can she be trusted to not take off running? I hope you can figure this out.. It just seems very odd to me.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I do use the "baby talk" which gets Chipper all worked up, but Kia just lays there with a "Do I have too?" look.

Today it rained, so no walkie for either of them, but tomorrow, I'll get up early and take Chipper out for a brisk hike, then get Kia and take her for a "smelling the roses" trip.

As for the surface, it depends on the route. Mostly grass or gravel with a few paved driveways in between.

I took just Chipper out for a potty break because Kia would not budge. When we came back, she greeted us at the door looking curious about where we went, but didn't seem upset that she was left behind.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Try not to bring her on the gravel. I used to take my Sherry to the flea market all the time and it was mostly gravel. After awhile, she didn't want to walk. I realized it was the gravel. Since I couldn't do anything about it, I got a large plastic wagon and put her in it and rode her around the flea market. She loved it! Little Miss Princess was being chauffered and got everyone's attention - and God did she eat that up. I used it alot as she got older and her legs got bad. I took that thing everywhere. I put a blanket in the bottom so it wasn't hard or bumpy for her and picked her up and put her in it. She was nervous at first, but then loved it. She wasn't spoiled, was she? So, maybe the gravel is hurting her feet - especially at 9 years old.

woow.. 9??? I never knew she was older than five.

gravel? jealousy? aging? too much roses? poor kia. have andy tried solo with her? (not with you..) and acts the same?

any improvement? hope you have figured out something for your little girl.
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Walking with Kia

Here are some ideas for you to check or try:

As one ages, even in dogs, they sometimes dislike anything around their neck. It seems that area becomes especially sensitive. You might try a harness instead of a collar and leash arrangement and see if that helps.

Have you discussed this with the vet or had her hips/pads/ spine checked out?

Is she constipated or otherwise in pain? Old dogs etc often have this problem and it's often overlooked until they're bound up tight.

She doesn't have to 'go for a walk' to get exercise...maybe she'd rather have some one on one playtime with you instead? Much more fun to chase a ball or play tug of war with you than to walk the same ol' walk every day.

When she pulls your arm/shoulder so it hurts, stop, rub your shoulder, and say Owwww! Don't do that, it hurts! She'll understand from your tone of voice and, perhaps this will help her 'ease up' a bit...unless she's angry at you for some reason. If she's normally friendly and obedient with you, she'll pick up on your pain also, if you share it with her.

My take on it is that she's telling you loudly and clearly that something is wrong...up to you to test things out and get her checked out to make sure it's nothing serious. BTW, check her toenails also. A torn or ingrown nail can be extremely painful.

Another thing to check for: a foxtail, especially if she has run on grass that may contain foxtails from rye grass. Those things can work their way in between the pads and embed themselves so all you can see is a little tail sticking out...very painful and must be removed, often by the vet. The stickers point backward so they're very difficult to just pull out intact.

Good luck being a dog detective.

Callie

Phred, I don't think there is anything wrong with prong collar, but it probably wouldn't work much for this. Kia sounds like at 9 yrs old, she
    doesn't think it's fun anymore.Sounds like she literally, wants to stop and
    smell the roses, along the way.

Does she seem upset if you just go without her?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt