Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more walks for Kia

Unhappy No more walks for Kia

I just cannot go on one more "walk" with Kia. She was bad before, but now, ever since we got Chipper she's been worse.

The only way I can describe it is that she drags her feet and walks as slowly as possible so that she's way behind me, the leash taunt, and my arm and shoulder wrenched backwards. I'm now having pain issues.

I just don't get what Kia's deal is. According to the vet she's the picture of good health. She has no limps, has no issues running off leash at the park, and wrestles with Chipper constantly.

She gets plenty of water before, during, and after the walks during these hot days.

But lately she's dragging the second we're out the door. It's as if the walk is just too much to bear.

I can't take the looks anymore from strangers or the pain (both physical and mental). She obviously doesn't want to go for walks so I'm going to oblidge. From now on she gets potty breaks but Chipper will be my walking partner.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Wow, I am stumped by that too Kimmy. I can't imagine what could be causing this behavior. Do you know if she walks ok if you are walking Chipper and someone else has Kia? I don't have any ideas at the moment.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Exclamation

Is this Kia's way of saying she's "upset" that she has to *share* Mommy with Chipper?

What happens if you hook up ONLY Kia and take her on a walk all by herself?

For a while I worried about Cinder & Smokey on their Y-Thingy ... that one
    was going to break the other's neck.
    Not to worry - they're about evenly matched in pulling power AND stubbornness ~
    what one gives out the other promptly returns!
    And it's about a 50-50 split with who's the Lead Dawg at any minute.

Do Kia and Chipper sort of "share" the Lead Dog position as to WHO decides where they go?

Hope Kia decides to re-join the walkathons.

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

That is odd. Kia's doing this every time you walk? How old is Kia now?

I've noticed Star dragging behind once in a while, usually when we leave the dogpark, and I figure she's just not in any hurry to get into the car. I've already decided to take her for one leisurly walk a day, and then bring Sherman on another quicker-paced walk. But there's also 6 yrs. difference in their ages, which may account for some ot her slowing down.

Have you checked between the pads on Kia's paws for signs of trouble? Star had that growth on her pad, and I think it was annoying enough that she didn't want to be hurried. It was removed a couple months ago, she seems perkier now.

Payson has always been like this, it's tough to get him to just walk down to the end of the complex. For some reason he seems to do much better when both Alexa and I walk him. He does the best when one of us takes him out, the other waits a minute then goes outside. He's so excited that whoever was missing (me or Alexa) came out to join that he forgets how much he hates going out on walks.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Do you always take the same walk? Does she do that if you go for a walk somewhere else (like over your parents house)? Ginger gets very stubborn and drags like that when we go on certain walks because she doesn't want to go in that direction (because something-usually a dog-has scared her on that street, or whatever). Is there a park near you? Does she do the same thing when you go there? Is it something about having the leash on that causes her stress? From what you have said it doesn't sound like a health issue but it sounds like she is either frightened or uncomfortable while walking. Ginger is a very timid dog so I guess I just think of that kind of thing first. Does Kia have any issues like that?

Is this Kia's way of saying she's "upset" that she has to *share* Mommy with Chipper
    That was MY first thought.

((((HUGS)))) Kim

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Phred asked already... but my first question was how is she walking on her own??
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

She's always been like this. I could walk her solo, Andy could walk her solo and she just mopes along behind us. I see people out jogging with their dogs and have always envied that. Kia is more interested in stopping every few feet and smelling the enviroment then going for a walk. But I knew she needed her exercise so I'd make her take walks. She's just gotten worse this past year.

She'll be 9 in June so I'm wondering if her age does factor in.

I've tried taking different routes and she'll perk up for a minute or so, but then falls back behind again.

As far as the lead position, even when I just had Kia, she hardly ever walked in front of me. Mostly beside me, the rest of the time, lagging behind.

Now that we have Chipper, he loves to walk ahead and at first, Kia walked along side of him and I was thrilled, happy to see her perk up when taking a walk. Then over time, she started to fall back again into her old habits.

The only time she pulls is when we go to the dog park or to a dog event where there are dogs to interact with.

I get the leash out and Chipper comes bounding up to the door, but Kia just lays there and shows no interest.

Pat, that's a good idea about the paw pads... I'll check them.

The dog park will be open soon and with me working nights, I'll just plan to make more trips out there so she can get her exercise until I can get to the bottom of her apathy towards the walk.

I'll take Kia out solo a few times and see if it is a simple matter of jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth
    The dog park will be open soon and with me working nights, I'll just plan to make more trips out there so she can get her exercise until I can get to the bottom of her apathy towards the walk.
    The dogpark works well for us. that way whoever wants to run, can. Sherman usually walks around & around with me. Star mostly plays with the other dogs. Your park sounds so awesome, she may really enjoy that.

Thanks Pat. Maybe the simple answer is that Kia is just getting to be an old lady and can't walk as far as she used too.

Sasha is 12 now, soon to be 13. Our walks have changed muchly over the last few years. She will still lead, but we stop at every and anything that might have been visited by another dog. And we walk much more slowly than before. But she still wants to go for walks and I don't mind taking my little old lady for them and going at her pace. I will be very sad when she can't go or won't go for a walk any more.

Maybe try a walk with just Kia and go at her pace and let her stop and sniff the roses. She might just like that.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Sounds like she finds the walk boring.

Also are you walking on a gravel path or cement or something? her pads just might be extra sensitive with age, so those hard surfaces might be hurting her... try walking on the grass only & see how that goes.. cause you did say she likes to run in the dog park. I know when I walk on the sidewalk barefoot, it hurts my shins.. but if I walk on the grass, I'm fine.

One thing you could try, is get one of those tethers where you hook both dogs together... That'll give most of the work to Chipper & she just might work hard enough to keep with him, if it looks like hes the one leading her.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth

She drags her feet and walks as slowly as possible so that she's way behind me,
    the leash taunt, and my arm and shoulder wrenched backwards.
    I'm now having pain issues.

She obviously doesn't want to go for walks so I'm going to oblige.
    From now on she gets potty breaks but Chipper will be my walking partner.
    Kia sound like "the Old Man" (aka Bowser).
    Poor Guy, has to *shuffle* along on 3-Paw Drive - and #3 *sputters* these days.

He's passed the time when he can try to keep up with the Dynamic Duo, so they run by
    themselves on a Y-Thingy (coupler) and <drag> a leash;
    whilst Bowz and I <shuffle> along like the geriatric Old Pharts we are.

He DOES "lag behind" and checks Pee-Mail on every blade of grass ...
    but I'm not much faster!

A suggestion to help Kia "hustle up" just a bit ...
    can you try a "pinch collar" on her?

Now don't everyone out on me ... you don't have to try to strangle her with it ...
    but a properly fitted Pinch might encourage her to pick up the pace to a more
    reasonable gait,
    AND ease the pain in your arm & shoulder.

Get one at PetSmart and you can take it back for a full refund if it doesn't
    help with the problem.

Giddy-UP, Kia!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

that is such odd behavior, I have never heard of a dog doing this before inless they were REALLY old,or handycapped in some way.. wich Kia isn't.. Do you get her hyped up aout walks ever? like say "Wanna go for a walk kia!! Wanna go walkie?" in a high pitched baby voice lol? I do that to my dogs and they go nutzo.. I Kia better when she is off the leash walking? Can she be trusted to not take off running? I hope you can figure this out.. It just seems very odd to me.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven