Thread: Pet Steps

Pet Steps

I am looking for some pet steps for my foster cat Buddy. She is 18 yrs old and has arthritis. I have noticed that within the past 2 weeks it is getting harder for her to jump up on the counter top (where she HAS to eat her dinner ) and on my bed. The other day she didn't make it on the counter, fell and slid across the floor - my heart just about broke in half. So if anyone know of any place/web site that sell these steps at a resonable price, please let me know. (I have seen them at pet store but they are going from $50 - $100+, but that just doesn't fit into my budget right now)

Thanks in advance for any info

Janine
    Lulu, Beth, Jo-Jo
    my foster babies: Buddy, Oscar, Zoey & Chloe

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Janine ~ I'm sorry but I don't have any advice about steps. But, a Snuggle Safe has helped Cammie's arthritis. We adopted Cammie when she was around 10. She is 15 now and it takes her longer and longer to get started every morning -- especially on cold, Alaskan winter days.

The Snuggle Safe has really helped her. I nuke it in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes (depending upon the wattage of your microwave) and it stays warm for 12 hours or so. I put Cammie's favorite towel over it and she sleeps on it all night. The warmth has helped her aching bones very much.

It's like a big, plastic frisbee filled with a gel that retains the heat. http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imp...9266546&sr=8-1

Intil you can find the right steps -- you might just try a chair or step ladder at first so that Buddy doesn't have to make the leap all in one step.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I've been looking at steps and ramps since I adopted Sugar in December, and the prices are sky high!

I'm thinking about getting something sturdy and wrapping fabric around it. maybe some concrete blocks, or some wood blocks. Even those plastic storage crates with a board ont he top to cover the holes and then a piece of padding and fabric on top. If I stack things, that may work. I just can't decide.

I did buy one pair of steps for $20, and they don't work First, they are too short for my bed (I didn't think to measre height first, duh!), and they are too close together for Sugar, she is a short legged long bodied dog. She gets her front feet on the top step and her rear is still down on the floor.

I like the idea of a ramp better, but I can't figure out how to make something sturdy.

Sorry, all I can do is commisserate, I haven't found a solution yet either!

I Bought A Piece Of Funiture That Has A Ramp Going Up To A Cat Bed For The Older Cats.
    And I Just Brought A Pair Of Low Tub Chairs That Were Being Tossed Out And They Are Just The Right Height For My Geezer Cats!!
    If You Look Around , You Should Find Something Thats A Reasonable Price.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I googled pet steps and found these for 20 bucks. I don't know how good they are.
    http://www.doggy-steps.com/holiday_sideform/?tid=811

Get a foldable step stool or ladder. It's usually two steps high and with a third hop she can be on the counter. I have two, mainly for me, but I leave them out for the critters. One jumps well, the other (Mr. Spunky) mainly hops and falls if he tries a major jump and always negotiates even a minor jump. Mr. SPunky uses the stools to look out the windows.

The steps are about $20 at a local store like Wal-Mart.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

The Tubster in his Tub Chair , free.
    What you could do is get an Old Chair at the Goodwill and take the legs off so he can climb right in.
    That worked for Smokey the Senior Cat who was going on 24 when he passed on.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Melissa D, those doggy steps are the ones I bought. That web site does not tell you the height. I never noticed.

The 3 step one is 12 inches high. My bed is . . . 26 inches. Doesn't work for us. Plus as I say, Sugar is l o n g, and those don't accomodate her.

Maybe you could get some wood from Lowes? if you have one or Home Depot. I know my parents neighbor built a ramp for my brother when he was in a wheel chair for a little while and it worked fine... plus it might be an inexpense way to make a ramp...not sure if this will help but i hope so.

Bed Bath & Beyond where I work sells them for $19.99. If you PM me with your address I can send you a $5.00 off coupon which will help with the cost.

Another suggestion is go to Home Depot and buy a piece of wood wide enough for him and just prop it up so he can walk up it, sort of like a plank.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Bed Bath & Beyond where I work sells them for $19.99. If you PM me with your address I can send you a $5.00 off coupon which will help with the cost.

Another suggestion is go to Home Depot and buy a piece of wood wide enough for him and just prop it up so he can walk up it, sort of like a plank.
    That's what I was going to say - Bed Bath & Beyond sells them really cheap!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Thank you all for the advice. I talked with my neighboor - who happens to be the maintnace manager for my apartment building. He is going to try and build a ramp for Buddy this weekend. He has some plywood left over from last hurricane season. If that doesn't work I might just go down to Bed Bath & Beyond and see what they have in the store.

Thanks again,
    Janine

Almost forgot - some good news - My Aunt, who actually "owns" Buddy finally got a vet appointment, with her vet (- which I can't stand ,his staff is not always nice - kinda rude at times) for her next Saturday, hopefully I will be able to get her on some arthritis meds. I talked with my vet and she said that there are 2 new medications out, one which is in a liquid form (drops) is supposed to work very well. My vet said she has seen great improvments with other older kitties. Fingers will be crossed that this medicine will help my "lil buddy".
    I am hoping to have some pictures up soon of Buddy.

Here is Buddy and my Dad, taking a nap. This was after "moving day", when my other 3 fosters came to live with me.