Thread: What Causes UTI?

What Causes UTI?

I was just wondering if any of you cat experts would be able to tell me what can cause UTI in cats. I feed my cat his favorite treats, but I don't want to be feeding him treats that would cause UTI.

Is there any brand of treats or food that you know of that I should stay away from? Anything would definately help

Thanks PT!

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

According to what MY vet told me, cheap dry food can cause crystals in the urine. Also, a cat that doesn't drink alot of water can get UTI's. Some cats are more susceptible to UTI's than others.

A good way to make sure your cats are getting enough water is to give them a little canned food.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If there was any ONE thing, it would be SO easy. A combination of things including the cat's gene pool all contribute to a UTI.

Donna was right to suggest some canned / wet food in the diet. You don't want ALL canned, as then you get tooth decay. But you want to encourage moisture intake.

I chose to do that by getting a water fountain. There are many types out there. I bought the Fresh Flow. Of course, with 9 cats, buying a foutain and running that will be easier than randomly mixing in canned foods and hoping everyone gets some of it.

Here is just one of many articles you can find on the subject. I googled: feline uti

http://searchwarp.com/swa26640.htm

I've also heard that cranberry treats may help to prevent UTI's but I've never tried them. Some cats love them and some hate them. I think that Petsmart sells them. As others have said, the best thing to do is to make sure that your cat drinks plenty of water. I always add a little water to my cats wet food to give them even more moisture.

I had PROBLEMS but since I have been giving him only distilled water, no trips to the vet!!
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

Quote Originally Posted by KitCat
    I had PROBLEMS but since I have been giving him only distilled water, no trips to the vet!!
    That's very interesting KitCat! How long has he been drinking distilled water only?
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

I always thought that UTI was endemic to Mlae Cats as they have such a narrow uretha.
    For what its worth the Found Cats mostly eat the Nutro Complete Care Indooe Senior and there been no UTI here.
    And they have Two Water Fountains cleaned twice daily.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Stress. Lack of Water. Diet (and in Pouncer's case, its not diet because he's on a diet specifically to prevent it) and many more things we can't even comprehend.

He's been doing great on distilled water for a few years. When you consider a fish can't live in tap water because of the added ammonia, chlorine, and chemicals it makes sense that it's healthier to drink distilled.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net