View Poll Results: Is it considered rude to show up for the Reception without attending the Ceremony?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 44.19%
  • No

24 55.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weddings ... a question of protocol?

1. I am shocked and appalled by people who are invited to the wedding and the reception and only attend the reception. The ceremony is the REASON for the party...

I'm with Cataholic on this one. If you don't care about the couple enough to witness their marriage....how can you drink their booze?

And Marigold...the Catholic mass hasn't been in Latin since Vatican II...when I was a kid. I traveled to Indiana (from California) this weekend for a wedding. The wedding was Catholic...all in English and we did stand at the invitation of the priest...and sit ...but there wasn't any kneeling (to the great relief of many....)

An empty church on your wedding day...how sad!

I think we are in an era of very bad manners. Weddings and receptions are very expensive events - and if you are invited to both, you should attend both, unless you have a bonafide reason.

These days you are lucky if you even receive a rsvp.

I have always thought that weddings were for the family and close friends and the reception was for everyone else, too. That's how mine was. We only had parents and a few friends at the wedding. The reception wasn't a sit-down affair, so everyone we knew came to toast us. Which they did to excess!

I haven't been to many wedding lately, but the last few I attended were heavily attended at both the ceremony and reception. We did happen to miss my cousin's wedding but made it to the reception, but only because she had a friday night wedding and we couldn't get out of work in time. I'm probably going to miss my other cousin's wedding in September for the time AND the distance to get to the ceremony. A ton of people missed my brother's wedding because of the same reason. I wish my family would stop having friday night weddings! LOL

Weddings can still be in Latin if the couple requests it and if there is someone will to do the cereamony. My husband is an agnostic, he considers a Catholic mass in the same catagory as Indians beating on a drum to their sun gods. As a Lutheran I don't feel that way but I also don't embrace the Catholic mass or beliefs. For me standing up in the church like that is a lie.QUOTE=Edwina's Secretary]I am shocked and appalled by people who are invited to the wedding and the reception and only attend the reception. The ceremony is the REASON for the party...

I'm with Cataholic on this one. If you don't care about the couple enough to witness their marriage....how can you drink their booze?

And Marigold...the Catholic mass hasn't been in Latin since Vatican II...when I was a kid. I traveled to Indiana (from California) this weekend for a wedding. The wedding was Catholic...all in English and we did stand at the invitation of the priest...and sit ...but there wasn't any kneeling (to the great relief of many....)

An empty church on your wedding day...how sad![/QUOTE]

I know for some people they send out separate invitations for the reception and wedding. Sometimes they can't afford a huge ceremony so only close family and friends are invited to the ceremony, but EVERYONE is invited to the reception.

Or as in my case, the chapel was much too far or dangerous of a drive (incliment weather) so it wasn't safe for them to travel to make the ceremony but the reception hall was just right down the street.

facebook