Thread: Koli leaking urine

Koli leaking urine

Ok, before anyone says it... YES! We'll be taking her to the vet. I just want to know what to expect and get some possible second opinions.

I kind of thought i noticed some drippage here or there in the past few months... but decided it was probably just her massive amounts of drooling. The past week she's started licking herself a bit more. Then tonight she left a puddle that was way too large to have been drool from five minutes of her laying where she was. Just to be sure i got some paper towels and wiped it up... sure enough it was yellow (On a wood floor it's hard to tell what color wet is.) It didn't smell bad or anything. She hasn't been in pain when going. There wasn't any blood.

It's not like she squatted there on purpose. She was laying down when it happened.

Any thoughts on what it might be? What should we get her checked for besides an UTI? I thought UTI's were painful.

I doubt we're going to get to see the vet we want to have her see, so i want to be prepared... We're bound to get a flake no matter which clinic we take her to this week. I'd rather have her in sooner than later... this seems like it got serious rather quickly. I just figured I'd push for extra tests if i have to. (If we're lucky enough we'll get the awesome vet and we won't have anything to worry about. If we want to make an appointment to see him it probably won't be for another two weeks.)

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

It could be a UTI or incontinence. If it is incontinence they may try her on some hormone theraphy to see if that works.

My 8 year old Rottie x has been Stilboestrol for a good 6 months now and the leaks have pretty much stopped. Sometimes she will drip, but no where near as much as before .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Just wondering what the vet said about Koli?
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

There weren't any openings until this Monday... and that's to see any of the vets... not requesting the one we'd prefer to see! (Don't worry, if she was doing really bad we'd do everything in our power to get her seen a LOT sooner. Even if we had to go the other area's only emergency clinic. Or start an account with yet another clinic.)

As it is though she's not had other accidents. We don't see that as a reason to not get her tested though. I mean, this is a reoccurring problem, albite sporadic and rare. Each puddle seems to be bigger though.

If it's not a UTI and seems to just be incontinence I'm probably going to look into products like ... http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingP...continence.htm
    http://www.homeopathic.com/articles/..._urination.php
    http://www.allergicpet.com/products/urinary.html I hope I can find more opinions one stuff like this. We don't have any holistic vets in our area.

Thank you for your concern. It means a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cloverfdx
    Just wondering what the vet said about Koli?

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

They did some pH tests and checked for blood. Pretty sure that it was liver or kidney damage and not stones. Pretty sure that it is a UTI even though it is come and go. Said she probably just has a really good immune system. She'll be on anti-biotics for 10 days. Says that is the sporadic leaking continues then they might do some more extensive testing. He didn't seemed worried at all. (And he seemed the most sure about this then anything else this vet has seen one of our pets for before. - We got the goofy one, like i predicted. They must be really booked right now if it took almost a week to be seen by him. There's almost NEVER a wait when you don't request a specific vet.) ...And we're really grateful to the clinic... We were seen after hours.

Well, she was at another foster's while on the medication so we didn't get to observe her.

About a week after getting back she had another accident.

We got her in to see a vet today. The conclusion is that it is incontinence. She's going to have to be treated for this for the rest of her life. (It also didn't help that the other foster let her put on a bit too much weight. The vet was explaining to me today the negative effect being overweight can have on an incontinent dog.)

So medication, frequent cleaning, drying off the area. Gotcha.

Anyone else have a hard time getting their dog to take their Phenylpropanolamine tablets? Koli doesn't like them. Supposedly they're beef flavored. Also anyone have any experiences with these?

----

Found a comforting link
    http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dphenylpropanolamine.html
    Last edited by crow_noir; 06-20-2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: adding link

Why would she/he have to stay on meds for the rest of her/his life?

My Sasha was diagnosed with incontinence a few years ago. We got the hormone pills, complete with the advice that they can lead to breast cancer. I increased Sasha's activity level and her incontinence went away. Aside from the occassional dribble now she is just fine and not on the hormones any more. The vet couldn't explain it. I figure more activity tightened up the muscles down there for her and thank goodness no more major accidents.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Has something to do with the lining of the bladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie
    Why would she/he have to stay on meds for the rest of her/his life?

Hmmm... at the other fosterer's she's with four other dogs and goes for long walks in the woods almost daily.

I REALLY do like your advice a lot. I'd hope other people would consider it before putting their dogs on pills long term. Every dog is different though and respond to different treatments.

And i never said i was going to keep her on the pills for the rest of her life... I just said she's going to have to be treated for it for the rest of her life. That can imply any number of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop
    My Sasha was diagnosed with incontinence a few years ago. We got the hormone pills, complete with the advice that they can lead to breast cancer. I increased Sasha's activity level and her incontinence went away. Aside from the occassional dribble now she is just fine and not on the hormones any more. The vet couldn't explain it. I figure more activity tightened up the muscles down there for her and thank goodness no more major accidents.