Thread: Serious health issue....

Serious health issue....

Hey guys.

I've got a 8 year old cat who recently fell very ill. I first started noticing her sneezing quite a lot a little over a week ago. Then one day when I returned home from work I noticed a red stain under her nose. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, as she is a indoor/outdoor cat and figured she just got into a little contest with our other cat or perhaps just killed a mouse.

But that night I noticed the stain had gotten a darker shade of red, and upon further inspection I noticed it was blood coming from her nose. It wasn't as though she was leaking blood everywhere, but it was an obvious blood stain. I cleaned what I thought was a wound at the time and hoped it would get better.

About 5 days ago our cat became worse. I noticed she is weezing when she breathes, and her meow has become hoarse and deep. Almost like a human would sound if they had a head-cold and a sore throat.

Currently, she will not eat or drink anything and I noticed a green mucus coming from her nose. The blood seeping from her nose has also become worse. Though this is still happening, she is still her lively self and purrs and meows when you pet her and show attention. She belongs to my parent's and I spoke with them about it today. They seem to believe the cat is 8 years old and is just dieing, but due to her still being active towards attention, I refuse to believe she is on her death bed. If it were a human, from the symptoms I would guess it would be a headcold or possibly the flu.

I've also recently noticed that if you touch her chest area, she reacts as if it is hurting her, and will either swipe at your hand, or attempt to bite it. (She never was one for being handled, lol). I'm hoping the fluid drainage hasn't gone to her lungs and turned into a cause of pneumonia, or pluracy.

I read that cats do respond to allergens like humans, and perhaps that could be the case? Or maybe she has just come down with something. Is there anything I can due to remedy this, aside from taking her to a Vet? Money has been tight lately and I don't really have 500 dollars to spend on a vet bill if it is something less serious I can take care right here at home.

Thanks,

Scott

Your cat is sick. It is bleeding from it's nose, and has green discharge (pus). You touch her chest and she responds as though she is in pain. Those symptoms alone should tell you to GET THE CAT TO THE VET!!!

Whether it is your parents' cat or your cat, just make sure it gets there. Cats get sick quickly and can also become deathly ill just as quickly. The cat cannot get herself there on her own, and she is depending on her OWNERS and CARE TAKERS who are RESPONSIBLE for her well being to do what is in HER BEST INTEREST.

Please. Get the cat to the vet ASAP. I know it costs money, but waiting like this can cost your cat her life. Please do allow her to suffer, because that is what she is doing. Suffering.

8 doesnt seem that old. I also refuse to believe she is dieing.

Hmmmm... I would ring your vet, calling the vet costs nothing.

Then if it sounds serious you take her to the vets.

Hope she gets better soon!

Ellie
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

DO take her to the vet. It may not be an expensive visit, but if it turns out to be something serious but solvable, you could ask you parents to help pay, or ask the vet to arrange a "payment plan." 8 isn't that old for a kitty.

Your cat is gravely ill it's NOT an allergy situation. An aniamal that stops eating and drinking is a WARNING sign that something is SERIOUSLY wrong.
    Your cat is suffering. GO TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY. Vet's offices will work with you on the cost. Not taking your pet to a vet in this condition is very irresponsible for a pet owner. Sorry to be so blunt.
    8 years old is young
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

What Craftlady said.

Go now!!!

Get that cat to a vet, even the ER vet if you haven't been yet today. This can NOT wait until tomorrow, or Monday!!!

The cat is seriously ill.

Get the cat to the vet! Even if it costs lots of money if there is somthing wrong, it is a living organisim under YOUR care. It depends on YOU. Get it there because it is suffering and it may die.

It can be disheartening when we think about the cost of vet care. But to delay or deny vet care due to the expense is irresponsible if not cruel. Think of how you would be feeling if you suffered the symptoms that you've posted here. Wouldn't you want help? Wouldn't you want a dr. to prescribe meds for you if it hurt to touch your chest? Wouldn't you be concerned if your nose was bleeding daily? Normally, vets will work w/you IF you approach them BEFORE treatment. Make an appointment, do not mention money when you do, then take your cat to the vet, THEN talk about a payment plan. But for God's sake, GET THAT CAT TO A VET! Time is of the essence.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'll never understand why people come on here for advice and then when they don't like the advice given they just drop off the face of the earth.
    I hope he has taken the advice given and got the cat to the vet. Hopefully he will update us soon.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Please forgive me for being so blunt here, but are your parents that naive about cats. Their cat is only 8 years old for pete's sake. That is NOT considered old.
    No matter what age my cat was, if it had these symptons, it would be at the emergency vets lickety split. Since you say that it seems to hurt her when you touch her chest, did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, she might have been clipped by a car and has internal injuries, especially if she is bleeding by the nose.

I pray that your parents realize before it's too late, to bring her to a vet ASAP!!!

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Well, I'm guessing the guy isn't going to respond. He was logged in, but hasn't left a message about the health status of the cat, nor has he answered a PM I sent regarding the kitty.

Hrmmm....

This is exactly the kind of post I was referring to in my topic in the Dog House.

Someone with far too much time on their hands - someone who probably doesn't care for animals at all.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Vet - NOW! Kuhio lived to be 17 and was in good health (she didn't die because of a health issue).

Please let us know what the vet says.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.