Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit bull problem

Pit bull problem

Another pit bull behavior problem in the Chicago area.

Dog's mauling stirs owner
    Laws too lax, she says, after pit bull bursts into home

By Jeff Long
    Tribune staff reporter

May 11, 2007

Upset and worried after a pit bull mauled her black Labrador retriever, a Crystal Lake woman said Thursday that she wants to push for stronger laws to protect people and pets from dangerous dogs.

Cristina Orton was putting away groceries Tuesday evening when a neighbor's pit bull charged through a patio screen and attacked her dog, Sammy. The Lab wound up with 22 staples in its head and dozens of stitches, Orton said.

A McHenry County official said designating dogs as "vicious" and eligible for destruction has become more difficult since the legislature made judges, rather than animal-control officers, the ones who decide whether to put a dog down.

That angers Orton, who said officials should do more to get dangerous dogs off the streets.

The pit bull, Shady, was put down by owners Patti and David Wuich on Wednesday. They were fined $50 for allowing a dog to run loose, said Pat McNulty, administrator of the county Department of Public Health.

Shady would have been designated dangerous by McHenry County Animal Control if the dog weren't put down, McNulty said. Under state law, the dog would not have been labeled vicious until it was involved in two more attacks.

A vicious designation would have allowed a judge to order Shady put to death, McNulty said. Or the judge could have ordered the owners to keep the dog penned and pay a yearly $200 registration fee.

No dogs have been labeled vicious in McHenry County since the legislature gave that authority in 2004 to judges, McNulty said. Before that, animal control officials made the determination, he said.

In 2002 six dogs were designated vicious, compared with three in 2003, McNulty said.

"The number of calls [about dog attacks] didn't change," McNulty said. "But the level of proof did. ... It's more difficult" to put them down.

The three-strikes allowance for dogs that attack other dogs confounds Orton, who described several minutes of chaos in her kitchen Tuesday evening. The incident began about 7:30 p.m., when Orton and her fiance returned from shopping.

"The next thing I know, the pit bull, at full-force speed, came ripping through my door," she said. "My dog never had a chance to fight back."

A relative of the pit bull's owners said the Lab was barking and attracted the pit bull, but Orton denied that Thursday.

Orton tried to jump between the dogs when the pit bull broke through the screen and leapt for her dog. Orton, who was scratched but had no serious injuries, said she just reacted.

"I put my hands in the pit bull's mouth at one point, trying to pry him away," she said. "The first thing I could grab was a TV tray, and I began hitting him with it. The dog did not even flinch. He was tearing Sammy around like a rag doll."

Sammy must wear a cone to keep from scratching the wounds. The pit bull's owners paid a $450 vet bill, she said.

"He's an emotional wreck," she said of Sammy. "He won't even walk in the kitchen."

She vowed to contact legislators to see about strengthening laws. She said she also wants to start an advocacy group.

Although pit bulls often have been in the news for attacks on other animals and people, any dog that shows aggressiveness should be kept away from others, she said.

"There's people that have been attacked and they don't know what to do," she said.

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

How about a totally different story of a pit bull ,on the same day?

This happened in Indiana.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=127040
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Another pit bull behavior problem in the Chicago area.

Dog's mauling stirs owner
    Laws too lax, she says, after pit bull bursts into home

By Jeff Long
    Tribune staff reporter

May 11, 2007

Upset and worried after a pit bull mauled her black Labrador retriever, a Crystal Lake woman said Thursday that she wants to push for stronger laws to protect people and pets from dangerous dogs.

Cristina Orton was putting away groceries Tuesday evening when a neighbor's pit bull charged through a patio screen and attacked her dog, Sammy. The Lab wound up with 22 staples in its head and dozens of stitches, Orton said.

A McHenry County official said designating dogs as "vicious" and eligible for destruction has become more difficult since the legislature made judges, rather than animal-control officers, the ones who decide whether to put a dog down.

That angers Orton, who said officials should do more to get dangerous dogs off the streets.

The pit bull, Shady, was put down by owners Patti and David Wuich on Wednesday. They were fined $50 for allowing a dog to run loose, said Pat McNulty, administrator of the county Department of Public Health.

Shady would have been designated dangerous by McHenry County Animal Control if the dog weren't put down, McNulty said. Under state law, the dog would not have been labeled vicious until it was involved in two more attacks.

A vicious designation would have allowed a judge to order Shady put to death, McNulty said. Or the judge could have ordered the owners to keep the dog penned and pay a yearly $200 registration fee.

No dogs have been labeled vicious in McHenry County since the legislature gave that authority in 2004 to judges, McNulty said. Before that, animal control officials made the determination, he said.

In 2002 six dogs were designated vicious, compared with three in 2003, McNulty said.

"The number of calls [about dog attacks] didn't change," McNulty said. "But the level of proof did. ... It's more difficult" to put them down.

The three-strikes allowance for dogs that attack other dogs confounds Orton, who described several minutes of chaos in her kitchen Tuesday evening. The incident began about 7:30 p.m., when Orton and her fiance returned from shopping.

"The next thing I know, the pit bull, at full-force speed, came ripping through my door," she said. "My dog never had a chance to fight back."

A relative of the pit bull's owners said the Lab was barking and attracted the pit bull, but Orton denied that Thursday.

Orton tried to jump between the dogs when the pit bull broke through the screen and leapt for her dog. Orton, who was scratched but had no serious injuries, said she just reacted.

"I put my hands in the pit bull's mouth at one point, trying to pry him away," she said. "The first thing I could grab was a TV tray, and I began hitting him with it. The dog did not even flinch. He was tearing Sammy around like a rag doll."

Sammy must wear a cone to keep from scratching the wounds. The pit bull's owners paid a $450 vet bill, she said.

"He's an emotional wreck," she said of Sammy. "He won't even walk in the kitchen."

She vowed to contact legislators to see about strengthening laws. She said she also wants to start an advocacy group.

Although pit bulls often have been in the news for attacks on other animals and people, any dog that shows aggressiveness should be kept away from others, she said.

"There's people that have been attacked and they don't know what to do," she said.

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    ditto!!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

5. Hello:

Pleased to meet everyone.

My name is Susan. I live in RI and work as a professional dog trainer.
    I am an AKC Canine Good Citizen evaluator and teach group lessons.
    In my spare time, I volunteer as a trainer and rescue coordinator at 6 different shelters and am a member of the Animal Control Association.
    I also have been featured in the Humane Society of the United States news letter for the work I do with "PIT BULLS"
    I also work at a hospital and have worked at the same hospital for 23 years.

I own "Pit Bulls" and also specialize in obedience training them.
    I also own a yellow lab/golden.

Let me start by saying that "Pit bulls" Pit bull is NOT a breed. It's a generic term often used to describe all dogs with similar traits and characteristics often known by the public as "pit bulls". But for this post I will use the term "Pit Bull"
    in the proper hands are wonderful dogs with SOLID Temperaments.
    Back this claim by going to http://atts.org/stats1.html

The problem with the dogs are the losers that own them. IRRESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS!! Pit bulls are the chosen dogs for scum that ruins it for the rest of us.

They are the most mistreated dog on the planet.

When I am walking my own dogs on a bike path and I have my jogging clothes on all I ever get are filthy dirty looks. Some people make comments like "Don't go near that bitch". Or "look at that trash coming our way". My dog happens to have her CGC/TDI certificate and I have done years of "Pet Therapy" with her. She has perfect manners and is a wonderful FAMILY pet. Why am I getting dirty looks? People just assume I am trash???

An hour or so later when I get on my "Dog Training Logo" uniform on and am on the same bike path with another one of my dogs or even the same dog, I get this:
    "Oh wow, Do you have a busines card on you" Anyone who can handle a monster like that with as much ease as you can surely train my pet"!!!!!

Well, as you can imagine, I give them quite an earful!

What nerve!!! Who do people think they are judging my dogs and me like that??? They don't know me or my dogs.

Because the public ASSUMES my girl is a "DREADED PIT BULL VICIOUS KILLER"????? PLEASE!!!!
    Guess the media doesn't want to show her doing pet therapy and showing her in a positive image each and every time I call them to see it because that won't make the 6 o'clock news now will it.

More often than not, people who have owned these dogs in the past don't want to own any other breed. They become loyal fans.

The average "pit bull" is extremely smart, and is easily trainable. And they are very loyal. You could bash their head against a wall and the will still come back and lick your face.
    An article on pethelp.net says, “Large, aggressive dogs are in demand by criminals seeking an extension of their own machismo as well as to protect stolen property or contraband. Unfortunately, many breeders still engage in dog fighting regardless of its cruelty and the legal restrictions against it. Thus, the group of fighting dogs has acquired a bad reputation because of its association with crime.”
    “Losers” backyard breeders and dog fighters breed and then train the dogs to fight. If one refuses to fight or for another reason does not work out as a fighter, it gets dumped at the pound, or worse, left on the streets. (Backyard breeding is the irresponsible breeding of any animal, typically cats or dogs, done usually for a profit or, in the case of pit bulls, to make fighters, and does not ensure that the dogs are not related or will not carry on other genetic diseases or faults to the puppies.)
    Not every pit bull is adoptable. “Pit bulls are not for everybody and there are some that are vicious and not suitable as pets. But there are millions of them that would never be vicious.
    According to pethelp.net article, many dogs are mean and aggressive, but the larger dogs, including pit bulls, are the ones that get the bad reputation because their bites are more damaging.
    “Dog bites from larger breeds are more severe than bites from smaller dogs because of the size of the injuries and the ability to knock a person down during an attack,” said the article. “However, large dogs do not attack more often than small dogs. A large dog attack is just more injurious.
    “Media reports lead the public to believe that packs of roaming pit bulls are more likely to bite than the neighborhood dog on his leash,” the article continued. “Over 80 percent of dog bites occur when the dog is with his owner or on his owner’s property. A large number of small children are bitten by dogs they know while visiting the dog’s home. Because stories of pit bulls stimulate fear, the media is likely to report all cases of biting pit dogs or pit mixes but not stories of injury by poodles and spaniels which used to be the most frequently reported bites.

I personally work with over 300 "pitbulls"/mixes every year for the past 8 years without incident. I temperament test them and usually am all alone with them for hours on end.

The only dog I have ever had an issue with was my own yellowlab/golden who bit me and detached my finger 3 years ago leaving me out of work for 8 weeks and needing two surgeries. But, the media didn't think that would make a great story for the 6 o'Clock news either.

Bottom line, Judge each dog as an individual and do not categorize.

Susan

I loved your post and I love pit bulls, thank you for helping to educate against the ignorance.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

7. Thank you and you are very welcome.
    Susan

8. This story did not make "National News" But we were able to make money for many shelter animals and get the news media down to cover our story.
    Go to page 23 (Warning graphic pit bull pictures) LOL and you will see pictures of myself, my pit bull Ginger, my husband Harry and the entire "Wedding Party"
    This was a BLAST!!!!
    See, there are ways to promote "THE VICIOUS PIT BULL KILLERS" IN AN POSITIVE IMAGE
    I did get my point across too!

http://theanimalprint.com/JuJuWeb.pdf

9. Here is the link to myself and my rescued "PIT BULL" Annabelle featured on the Humane Society of The United States News letter. She just loves to show off for the camera!!!

Pretty good considering that Annabelle was pulled from a high kill shelter within one hour of her death and had been physically and mentally beaten by some scum bucket that beat her then dumped her because she refused to fight other dogs!

__________________________________________________ _______________

You and me girl featured on the Humane Society Newsletter
    Spring/May of 2005

Yes Annabelle, I am excited! How wonderful that you and I were featured on the Humane Society of the United States Spring newsletter.

You look sooo cute.

It is amazing how you came within one hour of your death last August 2004 and by May 2005 you are national star!!!

Annabelle, you have come such a long way.
    We are sooooooooo proud of you!
    We love you girl!

Keep up the good work

Love your LOVING AND LOYAL family
    XXOO

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/NERO-1.pdf

wow, your dog is beautiful!

I, too, own a big "pit bull" (mix of half pit bull, half bull mastiff), and second everything you said! (My dog is the silliest, sweetest, wiggliest dog on earth!) Where I live (Madison, WI), people don't treat pitbull owners with open derision. At least not in my personal experience. We love pits! In fact, our humane society took posession of some 40 or more pits (bred for fighting) that were seized in a drug case. The list was a mile long to adopt those dogs, if any were deemed suitable (few eventually were). I'm so sorry you have to deal with jerks while walking that gorgeous dog. If I walked pass you, I'd stop you and ask about her!

11. Hello PolarPooch

Thank you sooooooo much for your kind words!

Yes, our breed is so misunderstood it is horrible.

Well, here is an article from today's newspaper about my classes pit bull graduation!

The day went fantastic and we had animal control officers, a vet that owns pit bulls, myself, & my husband, rescue workers, shelter directors, and people in the class all as guest speakers.

The media was out in abundance!!!
    ALL FINALLY POSITIVE!!!

We did get our point across!

http://www.projo.com/news/content/WB...7.34c6d01.html

This coming Sunday, we are doing a "Bully Breed Pit Bull Awareness walk"
    Slowly, maybe people will realize its not the dogs but rather the irresponsible dog owners that create issues.

Not just pit bull owners but all dog owners should be responsible.

Susan
    Susan
    Proud Pit bull Mom to many

Such a positive story! It's good to see that SOMETIMES someone is willing to tell the real story of these wonderul dogs.

Here is a picture of my pit-mix

His name is Gimli. I hope the link worked.

"pit bulls" have for a lonnnngggg time had violence bred into them. Sometimes it does not matter how they are raised, they can and will snap at the least provocation. I work for a sheriff's office that also does animal control and we are FOREVER getting calls about "pit bulls" that have gotten lose and have either chased children or other dogs for no apparent reason so I totallllly disgree about the whole nature or nurture question and would never own one nor and I would cross the street to avoid one, leashed or unleashed , no matter how nice it seems the owner is! Ok. getting off the soapbox now!

Quote Originally Posted by wendysue1853
    "pit bulls" have for a lonnnngggg time had violence bred into them. Sometimes it does not matter how they are raised, they can and will snap at the least provocation. I work for a sheriff's office that also does animal control and we are FOREVER getting calls about "pit bulls" that have gotten lose and have either chased children or other dogs for no apparent reason so I totallllly disgree about the whole nature or nurture question and would never own one nor and I would cross the street to avoid one, leashed or unleashed , no matter how nice it seems the owner is! Ok. getting off the soapbox now!
    There is always someone who has to ruin a positive thread with their own ignorance. You obviously have no education whatsoever on the breed, so don't post something that you know NOTHING about. A dog never ever, no matter what breed, has a reason to attack/bite/etc someone without a good reason. A dog cannot just be aggressive. People who avoid dogs on the street just because they are "pit bulls" are NOT TRUE DOG lovers.

Mypettherapy, what a beautiful post! Thank you!!

Some perspective might be useful here:

There are some 50 million dogs in the United States

Approximately 5 million dog bites are reported annually in the US.

Of those 5 million bites, all but a handful (literally) are fatal...the average dog bite fatality count per year is around 20.

Of the dog bite fatalities, half are caused by Rottweilers . One third are caused by pitbulls. The rest break up between other breeds--including HUSKIES and German Shepherds. (I have owned all these breeds, and currently have a pit mix and a Siberian Husky. Cue creepy music...)

The CDC does NOT independently verify the breed of dog involved in the attack, so it is likely that the self reported nature of these incidents causes "pit bull" to show up more readily than the breed might otherwise, because they are notoriously hard to identify.

The site Mad City Pit Stop has a great interactive on just how hard it is to identify the "pit bull" as a breed. Even I can't tell all the time, and I own a pit mix.

It's also important to remember that as breed popularity changes, so will the breeds involved in fatal dog bites . In the 1970s, Dobermans and German Shepherds topped the list of breeds most likely to cause fatal attacks. Huskies and Pit bulls didn't even rank.

Incidently, dogs on the loose are NOT the main culprit in dog attacks. 80-90% of all dog attacks are from dogs known to the victim. Additionally, a CHAINED dog is 2.8 times more likely to attack than an unchained dog. Unaltered male dogs are 3 times more likely to attack.

But I digress.

My main point is: 50 million dogs. 5 million bites. 20 fatalities. 7 caused by pits. That is .00014 percent of all dog bites are fatal and caused by (so-called) pit bulls. The chance of dying in a dog attack are slim to none--and dying from a pitbull attack? Even slimmer.

PLEASE keep the (ill-conceived) laws off the dog breeds, and direct them where they belong: irresponsible owners.