Thread: A question for someone who has introduced cats...

A question for someone who has introduced cats...

We got a new kitten yesterday. She is the most adorable thing. She is black with a white ring around the back of her neck that goes down her chest and white feet. She's just a little ball of cute fur. We named her Maggie T. (T for Trouble which is what dad calls her.)
    The problem is that when she gets around our other two cats, Aza and Stormie they hiss at her and she hisses at them. Is there any way I can get them to get along or is it just something they have to work out for themselves? I didn't have this problem with Aza and Stormie since they were sisters.

A question for someone who has introduced cats

That hissing is perfectly normal.. That in kitty terms is call Introduction Hisses.. Before long they just will smell of each other & be best buddies.. Give them plenty of space & time.. Now do make sure the older bigger ones dont get too aggresive with this baby.. Just keep a carefull eye on them for a while.. But do not push them together.. They on their own will except each other..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Thank you...I'll keep an eye on them and hopefully they will getting to liking each other soon. Aza used to sleep with my mom, but since Maggie gets up there she won't even come in mom's room and mom is upset.

A question for someone who has introduced cats..

Oh that will change in time.. Just give Aza extra huggs & kisses to reasure her/him that this new baby is not taken anyones place..
    Quote Originally Posted by sumbirdy
    Thank you...I'll keep an eye on them and hopefully they will getting to liking each other soon. Aza used to sleep with my mom, but since Maggie gets up there she won't even come in mom's room and mom is upset.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

It can take up to 3 weeks for the hissing to stop, so be prepared to just watch them. Keep a squirt bottle handy. If the adults get a bit too rough with the kitten, giving a squirt of water and a firm "NO!" will teach them to back off.

Remember, you can't make them be friends; they will have to work that out on their own. Your job is to make them see they can all live together and tolerate one another.

Don't be afraid to use a time out if you have to as well. And THAT may be needed for the little one if she gets too exuberant. Just put the rowdy cat in a bedroom alone with the door closed for 5 minutes to cool off. I usually set the kitchen timer so I don't forget to open the door again.

I have 9 cats so I've done quite a few transitions. My longest one was 10 days. Oh, except that Crystal kept after Ebony for 8 months! Everyone else was fine with Ebony, but Crystal would hide in wait and leap out at her hissing and growling. And they are less than a month apart in age!

So sit back and enjoy watching the personalities express themselves.