Thread: How do you make a cat eat wet food?

How do you make a cat eat wet food?

I am having one hell of a time getting my cats, especially Magic, to eat any wet food. For the next few weeks she needs to be on Royan Canin SO but she doesn't like it...no surprise there. In the past I've tried warming the wet food, adding a little water to it and even adding some fish juice to it. Nada..although adding some fish juice did get a better response from both of my cats. The only wet food Magic has ever liked is California Natural Salmon and Sweet Potato. I would feed her that but it doesn't contain any taurine or anything for urinary health. It is a "bare bone no thrills" hypoallergenic cat food. I am at my wits end here. How do you get your cats who don't like wet food to eat it??

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

Maybe mix it with dry kibble.
    Thumper wont touch wet unless I give it to her (hand feed).
    The rest of the gang loves it.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

There are things that are impossible.
    Striking a match on a bar of soap and getting a Cat to eat something that is healthy for them.
    Good Luck in finding the Wet Food that they will love.
    Fancy Feast is MAGIC here.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

The vet wants me to severely reduce if not completely eliminate all dry foods for awhile until Magic gets better.

Maybe if I mix the Royal Canin with the California Natural food?? With my luck Magic will pick out the CN food and leave the RC food.

Cats are complex creatures!

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

My cat wouldn't touch it until I started mixing in a little Kitty Kaviar (bonito flakes). Right now he's got a cold and can't smell anything, so he won't eat anything but kibble, but when his nose clears up he'll be back to his nice smelly "paté" (I hope!)

Love, Columbine

Some cats just dont like wet food.. I have had some that did & didnt like wet food..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Here is a great article: Getting a dry food addict to eat canned

Good luck!

Storm's also on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O and I mix both the wet and dry together and then I add a little bit of water to it and mix it together. He loves it. I'm surprised that your vet won't allow her to also eat the dry version because this will also help to make her drink more water and flush out her kidneys. Good luck. My Storm only likes wet food after it's been refrigerated and is cold which is also strange.

WoW Tracey Storm likes Cold Wet Food.. That is differant.. My babies want their wet food room temp.. Now my Bree is also on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O Dry only..
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz
    Storm's also on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O and I mix both the wet and dry together and then I add a little bit of water to it and mix it together. He loves it. I'm surprised that your vet won't allow her to also eat the dry version because this will also help to make her drink more water and flush out her kidneys. Good luck. My Storm only likes wet food after it's been refrigerated and is cold which is also strange.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    OMG! I've never met a cat who didn't like wet food - mine go insane when I just take the can out of the cupboard - meowing and trying to climb my legs if I don't open it fast enough. I do feel for you, though. It's rough when they won't eat what's good for them. Both of mine are turning their noses up at their regular food lately so I've been coaxing them with wet food. In our house it's working. Good luck!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10