Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warfare In South County

Warfare In South County

A cat lives across the street...Margaret is her name. She goes out at night and we usually see her looking in our sliding glass door. Then she goes around the corner and helps herself to the catnip on the salad bar.

Eddie gets VERY upset. He howls, yells and carries on. Edwina just looks at him as if he is crazy.

Last night he got the screen door open. Before I could react he AND Edwina were out the door and through the fence to chase Margaret.

Then an odd thing happened. They attacked each other. Twice. (There was another PT witness...I was on the phone with her...)

Edwina came back to the house. Eddie gave chase to Margaret. My husband came home right then...called Eddie and got him back in the house.

Ever since Edwina has been HORRID. I have a nasty gash on my palm from her back claws to prove it.

She hisses and growls at Eddie. And Eddie (who can be rather thick) insists on following her around and crying. An apology perhaps?

I was up most the night with the two of them. They sit in the same room. She growling and hissing...he crying.

They seem to be getting calmer. I gave them both some catnip to eat.

Any other thoughts? We are going home for the weekend and I hate the thought of leaving them (with a sitter of course) when they are like this.

Wow!
    You shouldnt be like that HH Lady Edwina Rose
    We have Cats coming around here all the time.
    Dad says they are hungry lost Cats.
    Eddies your Pal and you should be nice to him.
    Dear I live with 13 Companions and I get along!
    They make great Pile Buddies when its cold.
    Juke Joint Joseph.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Here's Edwina glaring at Eddie....

At least she isn't hissing.... Sigh.....

I would turn off all noise makers...TVs, radios and such, and then sit in the middle of floor as quiet as possible with a brush or comb and coo at them. No sudden moves and maybe when they come to you they'll realize they're still on the same team.
    Just a quiet moment with you and both of them because you're still their center ground.

This is what happened between my Abby and Becky. A cat outside really really upset Becky and she turned on Abby. And Becky was really nasty tempered.

The Cats International site talks about this type of redirected aggression:

For example, Cat A may be sitting in a window as an outside cat walks by. Cat B sees the outside cat and rushes toward the window to attack it. Unfortunately, Cat A happens to be in the way and sees Cat B aggressively charging toward it. Cat A puffs up and hisses. Cat B redirects its attention to Cat A and puffs up and hisses. Then the cats attack each other. Each acts as if the other started the fight.
    Although this is not exactly what Eddie and Edwina did, I'm sure it's a similar problem. Read here for their suggestions:

http://www.catsinternational.org/art...ther_cats.html

As they suggest: separate them and then reintroduce them. This worked for Becky and Abby. Abby was still nervous, but the hissing growling and glaring stopped.

Then, of course, there's Feliway. Which does help.

Good luck to you all.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Here's Edwina glaring at Eddie....

At least she isn't hissing.... Sigh.....
    At least her ears are not back and flattened or airplaned out.

She looks very pretty, even ticked off.

Come on, Edwina, give Eddie a break. He's trying to apologize and wants to be friends.

Edwina is probably pi$$ed off that Margaret came onto her property and tried to entice Eddie. And she's probably mad at Eddie because he paid attention to Margaret. Edwina is just jealous and is putting Eddie in his place.

I think in a few days, all will be back to normal. As long as Margaret stays away.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Edwina, that's not very ladylike!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Eddie, you’re such a brave boy defending your territory and your darling, Edwina.

Edwina, I can see how shocked you are, it is just not acceptable that another cat is entering YOUR garden and even helps herself to your catnip, but you should appreciate that Eddie is trying to help chase Margaret out.

Now, I hope you both have calmed down and can relax together again.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh, this happens at our place sometimes too. I think, only Valeriana helps in cases like this. I have some Feliway, but my cats get more stressed when I spray it

11. Good news!

It appears Edwina has forgiven Eddie. She let him eat next to her while she was have a drink. She even touched noses with him.....although she walked a few steps...turn around and gave him a little cuff on the nose.

I am so glad! I just hated that awful growl she was making and poor Eddie looked so sad.....

It appears Edwina has forgiven Eddie.

... although she walked a few steps ...
    turned around and gave him a little cuff on the nose.
    Oh, well ...

A lil *biff* on the nose is better than a Grrrr! in the ear, I guess.

Peace & Tranquility return to the House of E.

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Come on Dearest
    Eddies a Good Guy.
    Please dont hit him.
    Your Love Juke Joint Joseph!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Warfare in South County

Aw, come on now Edwina. Eddie was just protecting your personal supply of catnip from an intruder so there would be plenty for you. There's no reason to be mad at him! Please make up with Eddie, tell him how sorry you are for getting upset with him over this but most important of all, stop smacking him. Eddie is a perfect gentleman and is defending your turf!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

It appears Edwina has forgiven Eddie. She let him eat next to her while she was have a drink. She even touched noses with him.....although she walked a few steps...turn around and gave him a little cuff on the nose.

I am so glad! I just hated that awful growl she was making and poor Eddie looked so sad.....
    There you go, sweetheart. Forgive and forget.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678