8 33.33%
  • Gentle Leader

10 41.67%
  • Other...please explain

6 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Headcollars - Halti vs. Gentle Leader

Battle of the Headcollars - Halti vs. Gentle Leader

Fender is a TERRIBLE walker. I feel so sorry when I walk him because he chokes himself something awful. I've tried the walking in the opposite direction when he pulls, and using a martingale, and neither have worked taht great. The turning around method has alleviated the pulling somewhat, but the constant back and forth hurts his neck, even when I'm gentle, and it still doesn't give me control when he decides to go try to flush the robin across the street. I'm ready to go for a headcollar, despite the fact that he'll now be labeled "vicious" everywhere I go. My question to PT is, do I go with a Gentle Leader, Halti, or another brand/type, and why? Fender, if you don't know, is a 5 month old Brittany puppy, he's a touch dominant, but not really alpha, and can be quite strong willed for a Britt. I swear to god he has a terrier brain in there. Anyway, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Andy

I don't like head collars at all and unless you have to, I'd really opt not to use one. I've heard of too many accidents happening with them to feel safe using any. That, and when I did use one on Tango for a while I always felt really uncomfortable with it (and she didn't really like it much either - just tolerated it), especially when she'd turn her head suddenly to look at something. Have you thought of trying a no-pull harness? Those are supposed to work really well for pullers.

If you do choose to go for a head collar, which one is best really depends on your dog. You'd have to try both on him and see which fits better and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    I don't like head collars at all and unless you have to, I'd really opt not to use one. I've heard of too many accidents happening with them to feel safe using any. Have you thought of trying a no-pull harness? Those are supposed to work really well for pullers.

If you do choose to go for a head collar, which one is best really depends on your dog. You'd have to try both on him and see which fits better and such.
    What type of accidents if you don't mind me asking. PM me if it's graphic. I was considering that exact harness, but I'd never seen one used, and I knew headcollars worked well. Do you know anyone who's had success with one?

I'm not a fan of either halti or gentle leader. I have witnessed some not so good things with them. My choice is a prong collar...they do less harm that both and less harm than a choker. They might look medieval but they definitely are not. Once the dog has it on it's like something clicks in and the dog will refuse to pull. But you need to be shown how to use it properly. With a halti or gentle leader the dog never seems to learn and some dogs develop bad sores on their faces from the rubbing.

Halti's, just like any training aid, can have it's good points and bad. It is not for every dog or owner. Sheena loves her halti and even works with it on. Very few have mistaken it as a muzzle because we live in ranching and farming country so most people recognize it for what it is. Luca on the other hand never really took to it.

The trick is to find a training aid, collar or harness that not only works for you but also for the dog. Good luck with what ever you decide to use.
    Nicole

I like the Haltie, Misty has one, and I used it as a training tool, NOT a bandaid solution, the only time I use it now is when the girl that walks my dogs takes Misty, she maywalk fine for me now, but she still gets exited and yanks when she sees a park, and a little 11 year old CANNOT handle that lol. when it comes to Halie or GL, I am Haltie all the way, I tried a GL once....Misty had it off it seconds, because it lacks cheek straps, and Misty knows how to pull to get the thing off her nose, so without the cheekstraps she mid as well be wearing a normal collar.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    I like the Haltie, Misty has one, and I used it as a training tool, NOT a bandaid solution, the only time I use it now is when the girl that walks my dogs takes Misty, she maywalk fine for me now, but she still gets exited and yanks when she sees a park, and a little 11 year old CANNOT handle that lol. when it comes to Halie or GL, I am Haltie all the way, I tried a GL once....Misty had it off it seconds, because it lacks cheek straps, and Misty knows how to pull to get the thing off her nose, so without the cheekstraps she mid as well be wearing a normal collar.

Cali you've just explained the dowside of haltis or Gentle leaders. The dogs just don't learn. You stated that you use it only for the 11 yr old girl to walk your dog because she still gets excited and pulls. if the dog was really trained that 11 yr old wouldn't have a problem with her pulling, hence the Halti is simply a restraint. Out here people using haltis use them for uncontrollable or aggressive dogs only. If a dog is properly trained, it walks obediently on a flat collar or at least on a choke chain. This is why I love the prongs, there is no yanking, pulling or misbehavior, and the dog can think and learn. In my opinion, the halti simply replaces the muzzle for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Cali you've just explained the dowside of haltis or Gentle leaders. The dogs just don't learn. You stated that you use it only for the 11 yr old girl to walk your dog because she still gets excited and pulls. if the dog was really trained that 11 yr old wouldn't have a problem with her pulling, hence the Halti is simply a restraint. Out here people using haltis use them for uncontrollable or aggressive dogs only. If a dog is properly trained, it walks obediently on a flat collar or at least on a choke chain. This is why I love the prongs, there is no yanking, pulling or misbehavior, and the dog can think and learn. In my opinion, the halti simply replaces the muzzle for safety reasons.

Mike this is false. Just because a dog and handler use a Gentle leader or halti does not in any way mean they are not trained. And it by no means is only for aggressive or uncontroled dogs. Sheena walks perfectly on a flat collar. The reason I use the halti is not for control. One it is part of her dress for when she is working. She knows that it is time to work not play or visit. Another reason is it gives me an idea, without looking at her of where her head is turned or looking. Because of my disability and my panic issues, esspecially around certian types of men(thanks to a past rape) she can alert me to someone coming up behind me in this way without me even having to turn or she having to change postition. There are many reason people continue to use them after the dog is trained. When I go out just for a walk around the block, to the park, flyball or agility or so on I have her on a regular collar. And guess what, she behaves perfectly then too on just the buckle.

Saying that it does not train the dogs or stereo typing people and their dogs who use them by saying they are aggresive and or uncontrolable it wrong, far fetch and totally in accurate. That would be like me saying all users or prong collars are inhumane, cruel and hate their dogs and the only reason they use a prong is because they can not control their dog with kind proper methods. Do I hate prongs. No it is a training aid just like a halti. Is saying bad things about teh aid and the people or dogs that use it correct? Nope. In some cases for both aids maybe but defiantely not the majority. Stereo typing anyone is wrong.
    Nicole

I use a Halti on Duke. It is so far the only thing that works for him! He is an angel on the Halti lead, and even my 7yr old can walk him now. It took a little over a week of training, but it works fabulous. I could not imagine walking my dog without one now!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    I use a Halti on Duke. It is so far the only thing that works for him! He is an angel on the Halti lead, and even my 7yr old can walk him now. It took a little over a week of training, but it works fabulous. I could not imagine walking my dog without one now!

Again it proves what I have just said about haltis. Critter crazy you stated that you could not imagine walking your dog without the halti and that your 7 yr old could now walk the dog. Why would you not be able to get the same result with a regular collar if the dog was in fact trained and not just restrained? That's exactly what I meant when I said the dogs don't really learn, they adapt because they have no choice. My shepherd can be walked on a flat collar by my 10 yr old grandaughter with no problem. I would not consider my dog trained if I had to strap a Halti on my dog. You posted a picture of your dog wearing the halti. Look closely at where the pressure points are...uncomfy?...you better believe it.

My daughter(8yrs) and my son (2 1/2yrs) can walk both my dogs on a halti or on a buckle collar. both with a nice loop in the leash to show a perfect heel with a loose leash. Usually Dedrick(son) ends up loosing intrest within a few minutes though and drops the leash. But do my two then stop heeling to him? Nope they will still follow at heel until I or hubby calls them to us or tells them to go play.

Isabeau(daughter) is actually know as our stand in trainer. When I am helping others train and am trying to explain to someone how it should look I will get Isabeau to do it with our dogs so while she is doing it I can explain in detail what the person needs to do. Isabeau loves training dogs.

So agian it proves nothing. Just because someone uses a certian training aid does not mean their dog is not controled or trained.
    Nicole

Again it proves what I have just said about haltis. Critter crazy you stated that you could not imagine walking your dog without the halti and that your 7 yr old could now walk the dog. Why would you not be able to get the same result with a regular collar if the dog was in fact trained and not just restrained? That's exactly what I meant when I said the dogs don't really learn, they adapt because they have no choice. My shepherd can be walked on a flat collar by my 10 yr old grandaughter with no problem. I would not consider my dog trained if I had to strap a Halti on my dog. You posted a picture of your dog wearing the halti. Look closely at where the pressure points are...uncomfy?...you better believe it.
    hey you believe what you want, and I will believe what I want!! If it was so painfull, why would my dog jump for joy when he sees me grab for the Halti??? He enjoys it! If he was miserable I wouldnt use it! I have worked with this dog the last 2yrs of his life, and this works plain and simple, If you dont like it then so be it! find something else to do, then to chastise me!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

I have to disagree with the no-pull harnesses. They do nothing but take the pressure off of the neck. And that's the only reason I liked it - because Molly wasn't hurting herself when she pulled.

The only way to get a dog to stop pulling to work on his leash skills. Although, even I am looking into getting a GL because I can't have her pulling me after my surgery.. otherwise, I say with GLs and haltis, you are just avoiding the issue and not DEALING with it.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Despite all the he said, she said... I would recommend a prong collar, as mike stated. Bunny and Zeke pull like mad with regular 'flat' collars on. Zeke has learned that pulling isnt acceptable and actually can walk rather well without a pronged collar. We've been using one with him for maybe a little over a year.. on and off.

Bunny was a MESS when we got her. She came with a dinky flat collar, so we bought a regular 'choke chain' collar and that didnt work. Tried the halti, and no-pull harness -- recommended for boxers... (Shes a mix.. so yea). Neither worked. She actually escaped from both of these! We even had the halti on as 'tight' as we could without defeating its purpose... We then tried the prong collar with her and she walks great. Correct her once or twice and she knows better than to keep it up. She'll walk right next to me.. turning when I do and so on.

I dont really think prong collars are as 'barbaric' as the stigma associated with them leads you to believe. I see a lot of people use them on 'bigger' or more 'aggressive' breeds.. I think they are actually better for their necks too.. they aren't just constantly sinched around their throat... just my .02.. and then some. =)

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

I'm not a fan of either halti or gentle leader. I have witnessed some not so good things with them. My choice is a prong collar...they do less harm that both and less harm than a choker. They might look medieval but they definitely are not. Once the dog has it on it's like something clicks in and the dog will refuse to pull. But you need to be shown how to use it properly. With a halti or gentle leader the dog never seems to learn and some dogs develop bad sores on their faces from the rubbing.
    well when Prong collars nor Choke collars worked for my dog, I went with something that did. It causes no pain and he enjoys his walks. Just cause they work for your dogs, does not mean they work for all dogs. Each are different, this is why we have Options!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!