Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubya & Queenie

Dubya & Queenie

At least HRH knows she's not the only one married to an idiot
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Then I bet her and Laura Bush will have a lot to talk about

I watched C-Span last night because they were covering some of the dinner live. They showed some of the guests arriving and they showed the President, Mrs. Bush, the Queen & her hubby coming down the stairs. They also showed the official toast that both the President and the Queen make.

Now before they got to all of this, C-Span showed past presidents giving their toasts. They were all eloquent and dignified.

Then came Dubya...he was a blithering idiot. You could even hear him say "your turn" to the queen. She got up and did her toast and then Dubya went and clicked her glass, but didn't drink from it. He looked so uncomfortable & out of place next to the queen. I felt embarrassed for him.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I was praying for him to get through this whole series of events without
    goofing something up, but NO WAY. Should have know better.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    She got up and did her toast and then Dubya went and clicked her glass, but didn't drink from it. .
    That was most likely because the president had a problem years ago with alcohol which everyone knows. I am sure he is firmly *on the wagon* these days and not even a visit from the queen would change that. Of course I laughed at his gaff when he started to say that the queen was around in 1776 but I think he got himself out of that with a bit of humor.

The thing that amazed me with some of the pictures and videos that I have seen is the fact that the queen carries her handbag everywhere. What is that all about? It really looks strange to me. Here she is in an elegant dress complete with her hat and there is that handbag on her arm.

I wondered about the same thing, Pam!!!!

I think "W" did just fine. He is what he is and the Queen gave him "the look" when he blundered in his Rose Garden talk (I think that's where they were). Maybe I like "W" because he is like me, not always finding the right words at the right time.

I highly doubt there was alcohol in his glass. What insane person would put alcohol in an alcoholics glass? It could have been apple juice. That's what some people use when they don't want to serve alcohol as their toast "cocktail".

As for the handbag, I thought she had footmen or assistants to carry that around for her.

I wonder what was in it? Lipstick? Cigarettes? Her i.d.?
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I think the handbag thing goes back to her upbringing. I know my mother, who is close to her age, always has her purse with her. I do think it's a generational thing.

I didn't see the event...I'm just not into that stuff, but, I can only imagine what that moron did...he can't speak the Queen's English to save his soul. His grammar is awful. How his wife, the librarian, can stand it, is beyond me!

Logan, I, too, have trouble with words coming out correctly, however, I am not trying to run the most powerful country in the world! lol

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Won't go there, Molly, but thank goodness I am not in charge! LOL!!!! I am at a loss for words most of the time! And when I do say something, it usually sounds stupid!

The handbag is a generational thing I think, as well. Just as she is always wearing hat.

BTW, British royalty never carry money. THAT is what the assistants carry.

I've never seen the Queen in any formal setting without her purse. Did
    anybody see where Bush winked at her. The news commentator
    about fell off his chair snickering.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann

As for the handbag, .........
    I wonder what was in it? Lipstick? Cigarettes? Her i.d.?
    LOL! LOL! I am laughing that she would need an ID. I know you were only teasing but somehow it struck my funny bone. When I think of the money that was spent on this visit it really bothers me. It's not just the queen's visit but any dignitary. They put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. Why do we, and other countries, have to spend such vast amounts on these occasions. What a waste of money when so many among us are so needy. Liz, I have seen Bush wink at many people. It is sort of a trademark with him at this point (as well as his gaffs! )

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    At least HRH knows she's not the only one married to an idiot
    Poor Phil the Greek....nobody likes him !!!!
    Wom

14. Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004
    Poor Phil the Greek....nobody likes him !!!!
    Wom
    Another thing he and W have in common....

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I have seen Bush wink at many people. It is sort of a trademark with him at this point (as well as his gaffs! )

It might be a Bush "thing", but it is a major faux pas in dealing with Royality.
    It just is not done. It's not like they're old Texas buddies & he is not in
    Texas anymore.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt