Thread: Need some dog advice, please

Need some dog advice, please

Dear dog people on PT, I need some help. My college roommate and her husband adopted a 1 year old Black Lab mix puppy from a friend of theirs who couldn't manage a dog and a small child in the same home. His name is Shadow, he weighs 80 pounds, and he's neutered. The problem is that when he goes outside, he won't come back inside. My roommate's husband plops him down, puts the leash on and in they go; but my roommate isn't able to do that. He started taking a nip on her when she tried to bring him in, and now he is baring his teeth and biting her. Today she gave him to a neighbor who has 3 other dogs, who said she would either keep or re-home him. That's his third home in just over a year. My roommate is heartbroken because she always had a dog growing up and was delighted to have one again. I would like Shadow to be back with them - he deserves a successful home environment after the previous one. He was dismissed from puppy training class because he got aggressive after another dog took a nip in his genital area. He has not had a second attempt. Today he refused to come back inside for her because the dogs across the street were just let from the house into the garage. She didn't take him to the vet so I know of no medical reason why he won't go indoors. At times he is well-behaved indoors, stays in his puppy pen for up to 5 hours when they both are not home, and has even come up to them for petting. She wants it to work out and I do too. She even tried putting tabasco on her hands to get Shadow not to bite - he just licked it off. I don't know what to advise her - she's afraid of him now and doesn't feel confident about her ability to control him enough to get him from yard to house. HELP, please, dog people and I thank you very much!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Maybe teach him to come inside without them having to go outside by using an incentive. They could split his daily rations into about 5 or 6 small portions and feed him one of these when he comes in from the yard.
    To get him to realise that the food is available, they could buy a whistle or small bell, something he hasn't heard before and ring/blow it just before they give him his food. This is the only time he should ever hear it.
    His food should then be given to him emmediately...within 2 seconds of the sound or it won't work.
    Soon, when he hears the whistle/bell, he'll automatically start drooling even if no food is on the go. If he is out in the yard and he hears it, he'll come inside pretty quick to find the food he's expecting to be on offer. If he is drooling and he'll have no control over this, it happens automatically once they are conditioned, he'll feel a strong need to eat in order to satisfy the urge that has developed due to the sound.
    After a while, the food can be replaced with praise and they can start to call him by name after blowing the whistle/ringing the bell to get him used to that as a recall command but keep the food going until he has developed a good recall despite it. If the food stops when he hears the bell/whistle, the salivating reflex will cease fairly quickly but will remain while ever food follows that sound.

Does he only act aggressively to her when she tries to bring him in? Usually, this is because the dog is frightened for some reason. Maybe the body language she is displaying looks threatening to him. I remember one of my dads border collies being like this with my oldest sisters ex husband but he was crap with dogs and was too overpowering and impatient for her. When my other sister went to get her for him, she was fine with her and would be with me also even though she doesn't see us that often.
    The other possibility is that the dog percieves her hubby as being the most dominant and daren't mess about with him but will try it on with her if he views her as being less authoritive and weaker....not just physically but mentally.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

The woman won't get anywhere with the dog if she is afraid of it.She
    need to calm down & be unemotional about getting the dog back into the
    house.She should walk up & leash the dog & walk him in. Maybe he doesn't
    get enough exercising during the day, like long walks, etc.A healthy 1yr old
    pup would have a ton of energy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

How about not taking him off the leash at all. Just walk him out with the leash on, maybe one of those expanding leashes that way she just has to pull to get him in. He should get a treat when he comes back in. He needs to learn how to walk there himself and she cant be scared of him because that gives him the upper hand.

5. The first thing is this:

She should hire a professional dog trainer/behaviorist to work with her on behavior modification techniques. Getting info on a message board is hard because no one can clearly evaluate the dog and see what is going on in the home setting. Dog language is very important and can't be seen on a message board.
    Also, the first step is always ruling out anything medical. Getting a clean bill of health first from the vet is always recommended. Drug therapy could be recommended.

The dog obviously is clearly not viewing your female friend as the leader.
    She needs to practice NILIF as her "Daily doggie Bible".
    The dog can CLEARLY see her fear..... which is not good. By your description, he is a very dominant dog.

She should begin feeding him (and making him sit/stay before she releases the dogs food) she should also begin making him sit/stay at the door until she releases him thru the threshold.
    Basically, all his daily requirements should be coming thru her.
    What type of collar does he have on when he is taking over control of her and she can't get him back in?
    A correction collar will be helpful.
    What happens to him when he comes into the house? My guess is he is expecting something negative to happen.
    Try playing a game of Catch ball, Frisbee, etc... before he comes in and get him tired.
    Also, teaching a strong recall is highly recommended.
    Here is something else that can be tried. You get the dog to do what you want but do it in a fun manner. Learning occurs in an inquiring, cooperative, atmosphere.

Here is a training game I wrote and dogs LOVE it.

It exercises their minds, teaches a recall and burns off excess energy.

The triathlon Dog Training Game:

This is a great obedience training tool that is used Three Ways.
    1) Mentally stimulate your dog

2) Exercise your dog

3) Teach your dog a strong recall (come)

Tools needed: 26 foot “Flexi brand retractable leash”

Fanny pack & Dog training treats, & fresh water available for you and your dog.

The triathlon game should be done daily before your dog goes out on a leash walk.

The idea is to use up any pent up energy that the dog has and to mentally stimulate as well as teach come to your dog all in one exercise.

Begin by taking your dog for a long relaxing walk using the flexi leash let the dog have fun running around. Each time the dog gets to the near end of the leash, call out the command "EASY". The dog will soon realize that he needs to slow down when you call out” Easy” because this command means he is getting to the end of the line (this may take a few times of the dog pulling at the end of the line to realize this so dig your heels into the ground deep)

After first doing this for about 5 minutes or so, your dog will have burnt off excess energy and begin to learn where the end of the line is and you are ready to begin:

Have your dog sit directly in front of you.

Say “Good Sit” & treat.

Next teach your dog “Watch Me”

(See below how this is done)

Watch me:
    How to Teach the Watch Me Command:

Take whatever reward you are using.

Food is easiest to work with for this command. Stick the treat either near your mouth or up by your face.

If the dog already knows sit, Ask the dog to sit, once sitting in front of you,

Say, "watch me" As soon as the dog looks directly into your eyes, ... "Say Good Watch me" INSTANTLY high praise, & treat!!!

(This command becomes important to keep the dogs focus on you instead of elsewhere, and can be a big help in crowded area's where the dog may be overly excited or anxious)

After your dog has done Watch me,& has been rewarded, throw out a treat or ball and say to your dog “GO FETCH”. (Make sure the flexi leash button is open and not locked).

Let the dog fetch the treat or ball.

Next, you run backwards, and say, “Come”. If the dog doesn’t come, use your flexi leash like a fishing pole and reel the dog towards you.

Once the dog is front and center to you, say, “GOOD COME” and treat and praise!!

Keep on repeating this game for at least 10-15 minutes to tire the dog out. Try doing the game in different locations so the dog gets used to distractions. Begin this game in an area that has the least amount of distractions and gradually move into greater amount of distraction areas.

When the game is over and the dog is tired, try high pitching the voice up and saying Come, the minute the dog decides to come on his own, "GOOD COME" JACK POT REWARD and HIGH PRAISE with treats, praise etc... Let the dog know that this behavior is highly rewarded.

Thru leadership, knowledge, obedience and patience it sounds like the dog may have hope!

Susan

Another thought on going over the threshold...

Sometimes an animal can become frightened of going over a threshold because they've been swatted from behind to encourage them to get through it (never a good idea)...or a screen door has slammed into them or some such. If they got stuck in a too-small doggie door at some point, that can also traumatize them...as can the slam of a door.

You might try removing the screen door, if you have one on the door he usually uses, and make sure there's no whooshing or grating sound from those door closing cylinders to frighten him. Make sure there's no spring to catch on his fur as he goes through the doorway also.

Look at the things you take for granted from the dog's point of view. Since it is coming back inside that seems to create the most problem, is there something reflecting in a mirror or other shiney object that he sees inside that frightens him...even if it's his own reflection or sunlight bouncing off an object. Get down to his eye level and look around. Check it at about the same time of day he's going through the doorway so you see what he sees.

Most importantly, the owners need to gain his trust and respect. It can't be done, especially with a dominant dog, by acting like a shy kid.

Good luck.

Callie