Thread: Help our dog won't eat....

Help our dog won't eat....

Well we have a male collie @17-18 months old he only wants to eat table scraps I don't care what that is all he wants....if we do not give him any he still doesn't eat his own food for 2-3 days I just washed him this am. He is extremely underweight he always was small @ 50lbs now I'd guess closer to 40. Passes blood after human food no matter how small....vet wasn't concerned awhile back it actually cleared up..now its back I'm guessing from all the straining from the extremely loose stool and lots of gas.

So if anyone has any ideas...please lmk.

Even (expensive) canned food which he loves causes loose stool.

This protester needs to EAT!

A healthy dog will not starve itself.

He shouldn't be living on table scraps to begin with. Some here and there aren't necessarily a bad thing, but they are not a good diet for a dog.

Give him a clear choice. His food or nothing. Eventually he will eat.

The blood would seem to be something the vet should check out. I'd be looking for a new vet to boot.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

When I'm talking table scraps its more like licking the dishes and what the kids don't finish....not much.

blood problem...stated was just an minor infection in lower bowels since it was bright red...had some anti-biotics....cleared up like i said before only seems to happen after human food. We tried mixing a little tuna with his food well this happened again. from the straining.

anyone know where i can get good Probiotics for dogs or anyone had any experience with what works.

Don't even let him lick the plates, as he may have food allergies that are causing the loose bowels, etc.

Buy a good lamb-and rice (usully safe for dogs with allergies) food, and make sure no one is giving him treats during the day, either. You've got to break this bad habit. He will start to eat, when his own food is ALL there is available to him. Eventually, when he's back eating normally, you could reintroduce treats and tidbits now and then, but be very careful what's in them, and watch for abnormal poop - that's a sign!

I've had good luck with NOW brand Probiotic Defense. It's a human product i got for myself at the health food store. All the doggy probiotics I've tried have given my dogs the runs. The NOW worked great for me so i decided it was worth a try. Works great when ever the dogs got sick!

It does sound like your dog has a way more serious problem going on! I agree with getting a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wildfan
    When I'm talking table scraps its more like licking the dishes and what the kids don't finish....not much.

blood problem...stated was just an minor infection in lower bowels since it was bright red...had some anti-biotics....cleared up like i said before only seems to happen after human food. We tried mixing a little tuna with his food well this happened again. from the straining.

anyone know where i can get good Probiotics for dogs or anyone had any experience with what works.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

his blood, stool, etc. was tested then all good. bill $197 to say he's good.

He has always been somewhat of a lite eater...we moved from New Mexico to Maryland in Feb. he was used to daily runs and a dog park and a small yard. Now apt. ANGRY DOGS all around and just last week a dog park opened in Rockville...so I was hoping he would perk up a bit...he came from North Carolina so I would assume that this climate would be more to his genes. Not DRY,HOT,DESOLATE,DIRT,ROCK that we lived in for @16 months.

Glad the dog park is open! And it's good to know he's healthy. How's his eating going? Did you switch to a good, "short ingredient list" (easiest to identify allergies that way) food, and eliminate all other food sources, like scraps and snacks?

Exclamation Poor dog!

Poor dog!

I hate to say it, but I think your dog probably has a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection).

Gato had it a few years ago, and he almost died from it. The symptoms were almost exactly the same: not eating, lots of gas, bloody urine, straining to urinate, losing LOTS of weight.
    You need to get him to the vet!

good luck!

Its not his urine but in his stool, blood that is....it seems and looks good again..starting mixing some white rice with it...but still would like some more info if anyone knows on how to make that boy hungry!

Just curious, have you tried rice+boiled chicken, with the rice cooked in chicken broth?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Try mixing in some wet food with his kibble then eventually phasing it out. Or even just a little hot water on his kibble. That's what I do for my puppy. Try also natural yogurt or canned pumpkin and mix it with his kibble. The thing with table scraps is that they don't have the adequate nutrition that he needs. You could also try Orijen if you can find it where you are...it's a new food but it's made with 70% protein sources and 30% fruits and vegetables. It's meaty and very palatable to dogs.

Has your vet done any tests on your dog? Does he have energy or is he lethargic? I think maybe changing vets is the answer!!!

I hope this problem clears up for your, however if it were me I'd still seek a second opinion.

Incidentally what tests did your vet run? I'm thinking that tests for parvo, giardia, coccidia, and pancreatitis might be called for if all the 'usual' tests came up negative. He may need retesting, whatever was going on then may have returned anyways.

It sure seems to be a strange problem. Please try to get a second opinon for the sake of you furbaby.

Keep us updated.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Has he been eating???
    I agree 100% that it could very well be a food allergy.

If he is allergic to something that he keeps eating, he'll always have loose stool. Then the lining of the stomach and small intestine becomes inflamed and may also ulcerate, causing blood in the stool.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

not always loose stool.....just after table scraps.....thanks all for the advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Don't even let him lick the plates, as he may have food allergies that are causing the loose bowels, etc.

Buy a good lamb-and rice (usully safe for dogs with allergies) food, and make sure no one is giving him treats during the day, either. You've got to break this bad habit. He will start to eat, when his own food is ALL there is available to him. Eventually, when he's back eating normally, you could reintroduce treats and tidbits now and then, but be very careful what's in them, and watch for abnormal poop - that's a sign!
    I didn't think of that but Karen's right. It may very well be a food allergy. My friend's dog can't eat anything but duck! Not even lamb and rice. Unfortunately, it took many allergy tests to find out and alot of money, but she's got a reason now and she's correcting it. I would try lamb and rice also to start. Let us know how you make out. ]