Thread: Monks of New Skete?

Arrow Monks of New Skete?

Anyone follow the discipline of the Monks of New Skete? ANyone have their books, videos?

I just learned they now have a TV program on Animal Planet. It is called Divine Canine. I haven't watched it yet, though.

Just wondering if anyone follows their methods.

Edit: OOPS! I thought you were talking about "It's Me or the Dog".

However, I'm watching an episode of Divine Canine right now. Will let you know what I think of it.

I've watched two episodes and wasn't terribly impressed. So far all I've seen is the same basic dog training methods that trainers have been using since the 50's or before.

The progress the dogs made during the course of the show could have been accomplished by anyone with a basic knowledge of dog training.

In my opinion the portrayals of the completely clueless owners has so far been the most entertaining part of the show.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

I wasn't impressed either by their training methods or their breeding practices, but that's a different topic. They base their training VERY heavily on gaining dominance over the dog and being alpha, but, IMO, I don't think they completely understand dog behavior. For example, I saw a lot of leash pops which they explained would give the dog the message that you are Alpha and that the dog cannot therefore walk in front of you. Their solution: walking in front of you merits a leash pop. If they knew the slightest bit about dominance, they would know that an alpha wolf doesn't require force to assert his position. It is attitude that counts, not physical strength. Additionally, a dog that is trying to walk in front of you isn't necessarily trying to gain dominance.

So, nope, nothing wowed me and I definitely will not be trying their methods (at least, not the ones I saw).

I have their book. At the time it came out it was a great help, but things are changing so fast in the training and understanding of dogs today that I find they haven't kept up with the changes. Training today is very different than it was back then, and based more on positive methods.

Well thanks everyone. I guess it is just 'business' - Animal Planet needed something to run opposite Dog Whisperer. Huh.

I haven't seen the show except for the last 3 minutes of it, however, when we first got Niño my stepdad rented one of their books and used the methods with Niño.

Niño & Eliza

I've never seen the show nor read the books but there are a few clients of ours that have pups & dogs from the Monks of New Skete and I have to say they are some of the best tempered and healthiest shepherds I seen in quite some time.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I have to say it is pretty much the old stuff we used in the 80s. Not horrible training methods, but just outdated. Some bad theory, like a dog think's they're alpha if they walk in front of you. Nothing great. Nothing horrible.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.