Thread: the little golden

the little golden

Here are a few pictures of my little golden. His name is Rocky, and I have gotten a lot of flack over the last week for a question I asked. He is 5 1/2 months old now and weighs about 30 lbs. I think he is small for his age. He is sitting with shih tzu mixes (his little buddies) Let me know what you think, and before anybody tells me that small dogs a just as loveable, I know that and he is much loved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0160.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	614.3 KB 
ID:	35490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0172.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	622.0 KB 
ID:	35491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0177.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	620.9 KB 
ID:	35492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0192.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	613.5 KB 
ID:	35493  

Awwww! Bless! What a beauty!
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Wow, he's just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

He's a beautiful boy!

There are much better indicators of potential adult size than just the weight.

Have you measured his height, taken a good look at his bone structure and size of his feet according to the rest of his body?

In the photos, his bone structure and size of his feet indicate that he isn't going to be a huge or oversized Golden. If he's 21 inches at the shoulder by 6 months, he should easily reach the ideal breed standard of 23-24 inches by the time he's a year old.

Not all dogs grow in the same stages and he still has a lot of growing to do.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

He's beautiful!!! He looks a bit smaller than my Jake did at his age, but he has a very pretty face--just the way I like, not too blocky.

Jake's mom

he's so darn cute, please keep us posted on his progress...

jakes mom

7. He is BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Susan
    Proud Pit bull Mom to many

OH he is just beautiful, he is so cute, you just want to reach through the pic and love on him...lol I dont think he is too small at all, he might not be one of the larger sizes of the breed but they are not all the same, and not all dogs grow as fast as others, he still has alot of growing to do.

Helpful Article on Golden Retrievers:

Description
    The Golden Retriever is a beautiful, sturdy, well-proportioned dog with a feathered, medium-length, cream to golden-colored coat. (The coat is not suppose to be red.) The outer coat is water-repellent and the undercoat is dense. The head is broad, with a tapering, but wide, powerful muzzle. It has a scissors bite and a clear frontal stop. The nose is black and the kindly eyes are brown with dark rims. The ears are medium-sized and pendant. Its neck and thighs are muscular and the chest is broad. The tail is long, but never curled.

Temperament
    These are lovable, well-mannered, intelligent dogs with a great charm. They are easily trained, and always patient and gentle with children. Loyal, confident, sweet and eager to please. It is active, loving and an outstanding family dog. Golden Retrievers enjoy pleasing their masters, so obedience training can be fun. They excel in obedience competitions. Friendly with everyone, including other dogs, the Golden Retriever has very little, if any, guarding instincts. While unlikely to attack, Goldens make good watchdogs, loudly signaling a stranger's approach. This breed needs to be around people to be happy. If isolated from human contact, or left alone for long periods of time, the Golden Retriever may become mischievous. They can be over-exuberant and distractible. Some of the Golden's talents are hunting, tracking, retrieving, narcotics detection, agility, competitive obedience, and performing tricks. These dogs also love to swim.

Height, Weight
    Height: Dogs 22-24 inches (56-61cm.) Bitches 20-22 inches (51-56cm.)
    Weight: Dogs 60-80 pounds (27-36kg.) Bitches 55-70 pounds (25-32kg.)

Health Problems
    Prone to hip dysplasia and congenital eye defects. OFA and CERF certification are important from both parents. Parents should also be checked for Von Willebrand's disease and heart problems. Skin allergies are common in Golden Retrievers and require immediate veterinary attention.
    Living Conditions
    This breed will do okay in an apartment if sufficiently exercised. They are moderately active indoors and will do best with at least a medium to large yard.

Exercise
    The Golden Retriever needs daily exercise, but likes to retrieve balls and other toys, so exercising is fairly easy. Be sure to exercise this dog well and do not overfeed, as he tends to put on weight.

Life Expectancy
    About 10-12 years

Grooming
    The smooth, medium-haired double coat is easy to groom. Comb and brush with a firm bristle brush, paying particular attention to the dense undercoat. Dry shampoo regularly, but bathe only when necessary. This breed is an average shedder.
    Origin
    The Golden Retriever was first developed in the British Isles, probably from crosses between a yellow Flat-Coated Retriever, light-coated Tweed Water Spaniels, other spaniels, setters and even the Newfoundland and possibly the Bloodhound. In fact the breed was first shown as a Golden Flat-Coat. The Golden is one of the world's foremost family companion dogs. Many of the top obedience competition dogs in the country are Golden retrievers. The Golden is also a fine bird dog on both land and in the water. He has an excellent nose and has been used not only for hunting and tracking, but also for narcotics detection. Because of his great desire to please and capacity for love and learning, the Golden Retriever is also used as a guide for the blind, therapy dog, and service dog for the disabled.

Group
    Gun Dog, AKC Sporting

Recognition
    CKC, FCI, AKC, UKC, KCGB, CKC, ANKC, NKC, NZKC, APRI, ACR

More information link:http://www.grca.org/

I think he's absolutely precious. He looks normal size to me. He's one of the sweetest Golden's I've seen. I love his cute facie. Please give us lots of pictures.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

He looks about normal to me, maybe a bit small.

You probably already know this, but it is healthier for dogs to mature more slowly. You could probably adjust his diet to boost his growth, but it's better for his future bone/joint health to reach his adult size more slowly. He's a really handsome dog!

Thank you Wolf_Q!