Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please help!

Please help!

Well, lately my family have been thinking about getting a dog. If we do decide to it wont be for a little while yet but we are looking into breeds.

So my mum needs a quite relaxed dog which isnt to hyper, wont run off and walks well on a lead. (This is for certain reasons I wont go into right now)

Well we were looking into English Cocker Spaniels! They seem really good! Any info on them will be greatly appriciated (sp)

Also any other breeds that you think would be good!

Thanks!
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Just to let you know.. spaniels are VERY hyper!

why not adopt an older golden retriever or an older mixed breed that is young and laid back at a shelter or rescue? they need homes, too! good luck with your search!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Hmmmmmmm

The English Cocker Spaniels NEVER seem hyper... the springers do but never the cockers. We hope (if we get a dog) for it to be a shelter one but we are not sure.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

I think collie mixes make good pets. I've never had a collie mix myself, but from what I've heard they are very intelligent and smart and very willing to please (usually ) You'll have to train any dog to mind you like you want it to, but I've always heard cockers and spaniels are really hyper, but that's just what I've heard again I've never had one...

Basset Hounds are really cute dogs that aren't too hyper!! I'm not sure if you want a small/med./large dog but I have 2 maltese mix dogs and they are really sweet dogs that mind really well and they are very calm.

Maybe some body else will know of a different kind of dog you might like better?

Good Luck!
    Genny
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Spaniels are very hyper, its in their nature. They are very...springy. lol.

I would reccomend a West Highland White Terrier. I had one, he was such an adorable sweetheart! He didnt pull on the lead, he did as he was told and was toilet trained within days!

But we sadly had to give him up when Honey didnt like him :'[

Hmmmmm I still think you are all thinking of Springers. My friends have English cocker spaniels and they are so lazy and non hyper...

Collie mixes are way to bouncy for our family.

Maltese, basset hounds and west highlands... my mum just doesnt like them

You know when a dog is in a shelter for a long time... and are hard to rehome they are called 'sticky' dogs well I have a 'sticky' mum

No-one suggest german shepards lol! My dad doesnt like them... (he has scars from one!!!)

Small, medium or large doesnt really matter...
    -Ellie

If I were you.. Id just go to the shelters near you and look at the dogs they have instead of deciding on a specific breed before you go. You never know what kind of mixed breeds they'll have..

And even if you've seen one or two dogs of a certain breed.. that doesn't speak for the whole breed. Breeds get their reputations from how the majority of them act, and there are always exceptions.

And like a previous reply says.. you'll need to train your dog to your liking, regardless of the breed.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

English Cockers aren't as energetic as a lot of spaniels, but they can still be very energetic at times. Walking politely on lead and not running off is all in training. Any dog will pull on the leash if not trained otherwise, and most dogs will run off (especially spaniels and hounds, in my experience, as their nose often gets the better of them). Your friends' Cockers might be different when you're around vs. when they're just with their family. Perhaps a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel would be good? They can have a lot of health issues, so you'd have to be sure to get one from a reputable breeder, but I think they fit your needs pretty good. I'm not sure at this moment what else I'd recommend, but I'll think about it and come back. Only you and your family will really know what's best, and if you feel the English Cocker is, then I highly encourage you to spend time with some (besides your friend's) and just see for sure if they're the dog for you.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Where do you live if you don't mind saying? I can look for some dogs on petfinder for you, if you'd like.

Try a Pug. They are very friendly, normally do good on a lead, and arent very hyper. But be careful, Pugs arent very tolerent of heat and humidity, so dont keep them outside for more than 15 minutes.

My mom used to breed English Cocker Spaniels. W had three at once, one was a show dog.. And They are somwhat playfull/hyper, BUT they are very stubbhorn and hard to train.. Its like they forget what they have just been thought, I foud it took WAYYYY longer to train our cockers then it did to train our Shihtzu... I would suggest taking a look at the homless dogs at your local shelter. You might find your perfect match. No dogs are born with the natural ability to "heal" on a lead, or to never run away.. You have to spend time training a puppy/dog those things.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Ok....... pugs and shihtzus my mum hates... and my dad...!!!!

We have been to a few shelters and rung others

Say if the cross breed was part collie, it would be bouncy etc.

King charles... my mum thinks there very yappy? Are they? Because we like the look of them and they seem ok apart from that.

We know not every dog of the same breed is going to be the same but its nice to get a rough idea.

luvofallhorses I live in wiltshire in England. Does pet finder even work in England?

By the lead thing we mean kinda... the breed is usually good on the lead, like collies are big and bouncy so they often pull but a golden retriever isnt as bouncy so wouldnt pull as much.

Thanks for your help so far! Keep it coming!
    -Ellie

Hi Ellie,
    I would get a book from the library that explans different breeds and how they react. Of course not every lab will be gentle and not every sheperd will be aggressive. It really depends on how they were raised and treated. If the poor dog was abused it will be more difficult to live with and train. A lot of dogs are given to shelters because the owners die or move, not becasue the dog was bad. Getting a book that explains different breeds would be my first step.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Another thought, perhaps a senior dog would be a better find then a puppy.
    Puppies will pee in the house and will chew on the furniture, not all but most.
    A dog is not perfect, it's like another child, patience is the most important thing, all dogs will make mistakes.

Yes, i understant the hate thing because Pugs shead alot! But they are very cute. That dog in my siggie is a pug and my avitar.

I am not sure if it does. they have

British Columbia, Alberta, and Novia Scotia are any of those in England?