Thread: Owie - cat bite :(

Owie - cat bite :(

I went to visit the cats at the adoption center this afternoon. There was one that was pulled from the high-kill shelter last week.... a gorgeous torbie that was Flutter's look-alike with HUGE round green eyes that really melt your soul. Of course I had to see this pretty girl named Wild Blossom. Kathy told me that she seemed depressed because she is a "spit fire" and it wasn't like her to be so quiet.

I took her out of the cage and she was just a furry lump in my arms. I tried to play with her, I tried to brush her, etc. We decided to simply let her out to play (her idea of play was to sit on the cold tile floor) and I let out another beautiful brown tabby girl named January. The two girls were playing nicely until a fight broke out. Next thing I know, Blossom jumped up on the bench I was sitting on. She walked over to me and wrapped her paws around my wrist then bit me! My whole wrist and hand is scratched up to high heaven. One puncture mark on the top of my hand looks pretty deep and is swollen. I did NOTHING to encourage the attack -- I was just sitting there!

Wild Blossom surely lives up to her name. She is NOT a "spit-fire", she is psycho!

I ran to wash it then put antibiotic on it. I think I got everything good and will most definately look after it for any signs of infection or increased swelling. In the meantime.... owie. My whole hand hurts. Its litterally criss-crossed slices from long nails and teeth. She really dug in with her nails.

Poor Wild Blossom..... she is not going to find a home if she continues to act like this. I most certainly will not take her! Kathy said she does that attack thing A LOT.

Here's her Petfinder page. They need to update it a wee bit

Wild Blossom's Petfinder page

I ran to wash it then put antibiotic on it. I think I got everything good and will most definately look after it for any signs of infection or increased swelling.
    You need to go to the doctor NOW. Do not wait. One good puncture wound is all you need for a roaring infection.

I've been there - waited and ended up in the ER with two IV antibiotics, and then prescriptions for 2 to take at home.

Grace is right - you need to get it checked out just incase infection sets in.

I had a look at the site you listed....personally speaking, although Wild blossom looks very cute....she also looked like she had a bit of the devil in her eyes!! It's a shame she acted that way - she may be a very sweet kitty deep, deep down. That kind of behaviour isn't going to find her a home like she deserves.
    Mandy

Kittycats_delight (Michelle) thanks for the great signature!

I am worried about Wild Blossom. It mentions she is young but doesn't say how young. I have my own "wild blossom" at home. Weezie is beautiful but she is her daddy's (and sometimes her meowmie's) cat and no one elses. As a baby, she bonded with me and my husband (especially him since she lived with him until we were married) and she loves us dearly. She HATES everyone else.

No one else can pet her. She will sniff their fingers and suddenly lash out with claws and teeth. She growls and bites like a little lion.

No one was ever cruel to her. The only time she was not with us (after her adoption at about six weeks old) was on our honeymoon when she stayed with a friend of ours. When we can back, she was cuddled beside him and cried when we took her back. She's simply naturally a "bad cat."

She loves me now if Mike isn't around but she used to even attack me because I was taking his attention away from her. We've asked the vet what we can do but the best thing seems to just be to stick her in the back room when guests come over.....
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

I agree, you HAVE to get to the doctor, today!

Do you have sausage fingers? That is one primary clue that there is infection in there. Puncture wounds are nothing to sneeze at.

Poor Wild Blossom. I hope they can match her up to the right home.

I dont think that shes a bad Cat but she might be scared of people and strikes out if someone makes what she considers to be a threatening gesture.
    I hope that they can calm her down so thst she can find a Furr Ever Home.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I guess I should have mentioned that the worst parts are not from the bite but the scratches. All the swelling is down and my hand doesn't hurt unless I accidentally slap it against something (but it would hurt then anyway )

I know all about how serious cat bites are. I took mom to the hospital the moment I saw how Pouncer bit her. I knew that Wild Blossom didn't bite me in a manner where her teeth went up and under -- merely straight in and out. You can flush in and out, but not up and under

Kim,

I got bit and put hydrogen peroxide on it immediately. This was on a Sunday. By Monday there was a light red stripe going up my right arm, from the bite site.

I wound up in the emergency room. The doctor said had I waited another 8 hours and I'd be IN the hospital with an I.V. going. I was put on Augmentin and told to come back if there was a change. Fortunately, I didn't have to go through rabies shots.

Don't take the chance Kim, get to the doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

((((((HUGS)))))))))

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Oh my god.... I feel so bad Kim!!!

Wild Blossom is MY foster...

I told Kathy she nips and gets over stimulated easily. She was with me for about 2 weeks, but NEVER bit me. Ugh. She was even to the point where I could hold her and cuddle her a bit. I wasn't sure if PS was going to be the place for her or not. I'm guessing not. Man oh man... and I have so many with me right now. This stinks. She was fine when she was out with the rest of my cats and could run around the house. She adored it! Maybe I can take her back and have Autumn put in there once her spay is healed up. She's gorgeous!!! I'll have to start a thread about her cause she's new too, lol.

Kim, I'm sorry to hear that you were scratched and bitten but please get checked out by a doctor. I'd hate to hear that you ended up in the hospital over this. When Starr bit me in Dec. I called right away and was seen about 20 minutes later. I wasn't going to risk it and I was put on antibiotics. Please take care.

Aw Jenn, I didn't mean to make you feel guilty! Everything looks WONDERFUL this morning. I can't even tell where she bit me, all I see are red scratch marks (wrapping around my whole wrist ) I heal REALLY fast and am amazed at how quickly these marks are receding. I still have an angry Pouncer scratch on my thmb (same hand) from 2 weeks ago that looks not too much more healed than Blossom's. Pouncer got me good 2 weeks ago but he was totally playing in a manner I know not to encourage but I was just so happy he was playing after being so sick.

It must depend on the person and the cat that is biting. I've been bitten many times and Spunky loves to scratch. I've not had any issues that I know of. I do clean any serious wounds.

Glad you are okay.

Anne
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Aw Jenn, I didn't mean to make you feel guilty! Everything looks WONDERFUL this morning. I can't even tell where she bit me, all I see are red scratch marks (wrapping around my whole wrist ) I heal REALLY fast and am amazed at how quickly these marks are receding. I still have an angry Pouncer scratch on my thmb (same hand) from 2 weeks ago that looks not too much more healed than Blossom's. Pouncer got me good 2 weeks ago but he was totally playing in a manner I know not to encourage but I was just so happy he was playing after being so sick.
    I just feel bad that she is behaving so badly!!! Some cats are just not cut out for cages at PS. Maybe she just needs more time to socialize and behave in a foster home first??

Glad it doesn't hurt too bad... I wonder if Kathy wants to take her out soon??