Thread: Why aren't Rhodesian Ridgeback Popular?

Why aren't Rhodesian Ridgeback Popular?

Hello, I'm very fond of the Rhodesian Ridgeback breed. I wonder why they are not popular? They look handsome, smart, loyal, loving, good natured.

Not everyone knows about them and everyone likes something different. And they aren't perfect for everyones life style. I think everyone on this board likes them but just not alot of people favorites.

Popularity often leads to unreputable breeding and a surplus of puppies
    EDIT: I agree with this too!
    Last edited by buttercup132; 04-27-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Actually, you'll find that most people don't like it when their breed is popular. Popularity often leads to unreputable breeding and a surplus of puppies

That said, there is a whooole bunch of Rhodies in my area. Very popular around here! Then again, I do live in a very diverse area with a wide variety of dog breeds.

Ridgebacks are a lot of dog and not a breed that a lot of people can easily handle/live with. I adore them. A friend of ours has two and they are the sweetest boys ever, but like I said, they're definitely not for everyone which is why the breed isn't (and should never be) very popular. Like said above, popularity can and more often than not does lead to problems.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

There were some ridgeback puppies in the shelter I volunteer at a while ago, and being puppies they went to new homes very quickly. If they had been adults, though, I think perhaps size and their never-ending quest to have fun could have put people off! They do need quite a bit of training, apparently, but once that is accomplished they make loyal and loving companions.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Actually, you'll find that most people don't like it when their breed is popular. Popularity often leads to unreputable breeding and a surplus of puppies
    I have to agree with Giselle on this one! But, I do like Ridgebacks, I find them to be very beautiful doggies.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Ridgebacks are large hounds. They are very prey driven (meaning cats and small animals are a no-no generally), high energy, and can be dominant and noisy with a high incedence of aggression. They are alot of dog to deal with and we should be thankful not everyone has one. Personally I think no breed should be popular. It's a disservice to them all.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Amen to that! Remember the movie My Dog Skip? Well, in the book the dog is a smooth fox terrier, and I remember just being sick when I heard that movie was coming out. I so did not want "my" breed to become popular! I was secretly and selfishly happy when another breed was chosen to play the dog in the movie.

Be very glad the breed you love isn't popular!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

The ridgeback is fairly popular in the UK, or at least round where I am. There is a woman on our street who has three. I painted two of them for her. Her nephew also has one of the pups they bred along with a siberian husky. Somebody around the corner on the next street used to have one also.

I've also seen a few others knocking around and usually see them at dog shows and such too.

I agree that being too popular is generally bad for them. Look at how popularity has practically destroyed cavalier king charles spaniels. You can hardly find dogs of that breed anymore that don't die before 2 years old of heart problems.
    Some breeds like the Border Collie which I have, also have the added problem of people buying them only to find they can't handle them and then they end up in rescues or just live out their lives very unhappy in unsuitable homes. Seeing them in films like Babe and seeing them on TV doing agility, flyball, obedience, dancing to music, everyone thinks they are easy to train and will just do as they are told. Not true. You need to know how to train dogs to be able to train one and, being a very smart breed, you have to know dogs to stay one step ahead of them.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk