More foods just added to the endless recall list, via Itchmo:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula cans
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula cans
    Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula cans
    Natural Balance Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Natural Balance Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Natural Balance Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Natural Balance Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

See posts #7 and #19 below for more additions to the list.
    Last edited by Prairie Purrs; 04-27-2007 at 12:39 PM.

I was about to post this too!

Natural Balance
    Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

Diamond Brand Manufacturer/Foods
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula cans
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula cans
    Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula cans

Costco's brand
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Chicken and Rice Canned food for Dogs
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Lamb and Rice Canned food for Dogs

Chenango Valley

Lick Your Chops Lamb Meal, Rice & Egg Cat Food in packages with a net weight of 4 lbs. and a code date best used by April 29, 2008.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

I don't use any of these foods but this is horrible. When will it end?

I'm very worried that Starr's Hills Prescription food will end up being next because the first ingredient is rice protein. He's on the feline dry Z/D diet and he's been doing very well on it. If this happens I don't know what I'll do.

I'd like to see it end with some people in prison. I'd also like to see a regulatory agency with some teeth put in place to oversee the food supply.

Are there any safe foods?

Right now, I am not sure what to feeds my furbabies anymore.

Aren't you glad I feed raw Penny? This is horrific, I feel so badly for so many owners and their pets. Such devastion brought by the almighty dollar
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Now Blue Buffalo has recalled all their canned food and treats:

All Blue brand can dog foods
    All Spa Select brand can cat foods
    All Blue Health Bar treats

Again via Itchmo, which is really staying on top of the recall news.

China is getting away with murdering our furbabies.
    Companies will continue to buy wheat and rice from them because it's CHEAP.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I am staying away from anything with corn, wheat or rice protein/gluten.

Wellness Core is a grain-free dry, and I've been feeding Merrick and Wellness canned. The Merrick canned, in particular, has been a huge hit with my cats. I had to look around a bit to find a place that sold these brands; places like Petsmart/Petco don't carry them, even. Merrick is available online.

They are expensive. I can't be freaking out about feeding my cats poison though, and I will not trust anything with gluten/protein concentrates no matter what the pet food companies say. At this point I am not trusting them when they say their food is safe...why are more foods being recalled every day? Why didn't they pull them immediately? There should be no more contaminated pet food son the shelf, yet more and more are being recalled every day. The pet food companies are lying to us, and innocent pets are dying.

TO Starr's Mom: the only food that Hill's recalled was m/d. Imagine my shock when I found out that the Royal Canin's dry Hypoallergenic 23 was pulled because of the rice!! I have 2 cats that eat that along with canned z/d. What bothers me, is it takes so long to find out about what has been recalled. Royal Canin had not informed the vet, nor Agway that carries food of their that was recalled!! Thanks to the people that post here for keeping ALL of us up to date about what is going on!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

I want to scream. My cats have been on 3 different foods in the last 2 months. I am currently feeding them Blue Buffalo dry food but now I am wondering if I should switch them to Felidae? I want to continue giving them a holistic/natural brand but it is getting harder and harder finding a high quality food that is also convenient to buy.

------------------

What in the world am I going to feed my cats.
    Nutro,Natural Blance,Blue Buffilo,and now the food I was going to switch too is recalled.I am switching to Wellness.Pet Promise is what I am feeding right now but it has corn gluten in it.
    edit;Went out and got Paul newman's own organic.
    Last edited by Zippy; 04-27-2007 at 09:22 AM.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

In light of this latest recall what is everyone feeding their cats?
    I need to take a trip to the pet store yet again.

------------------

My guess....

I am going to guess that this problem is not new. I suspect there have been years and years of "things" being added to pet food - things not good for them. Think about what they are really being fed from those cans and bags!

My thought is that only organic pet foods can be trusted. As far as I know, they MUST meet the human standard for food. And so now, the human food is being contaminated! I know.

I am going to stick with organic pet food for some time. I also have my cats on a prescription hypoallergic dry food that has no addatives..... I think it is cardboard with jello added....... just kidding. It is very bland and has very little in it. I have added an organic dry food to it to give them a little change.

This is just awful. I wonder what kind of pressure will come to bear when the big companies start having income problems. Many of the tobacco companies own dog food companies as well..... (I think.....don't quote me...)

I have not purchased even treats at this point, for fear that they too will have some nasty chemical it them.

In the case of Natural Balance and Royal Canin, it was the company that makes their food that decided to put in rice protein without approval from or informing the pet food company. Royal Canin have now set up a protocol to ensure that they are sent a list of ingredients and their source for each batch of food made.

I'm still feeding Royal Canin, indoor light to 3 cats, Royal Canin SO to 1 cat, and Avoderm to the rest. This is from the Breeder's Choice/Avoderm website:

"4/18/07 - Breeder’s Choice and its family of brands AvoDerm Natural™, Pinnacle®, Active Care®, Advanced Pet Diets®, and Health Food for Dogs® are NOT involved in any recall. We do not use wheat gluten, rice gluten, or rice protein concentrate in any of our dry or canned dog and cat foods. All ingredients in our foods are from certified sources within the United States, with the exception of the Premium New Zealand Lamb and 3 oz. canned cat foods. We have been making high quality natural pet food in our plant for sixty years."

Now that five pig farms and a chicken farm have been isolated for checks because they fed their animals recalled pet foods, the problem is in the human food chain and we should see even more intensive investigations.