Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Vick INDICTED!

The DOGS get their Day in Court - Justice is Served!

Vick sentenced to 23 months for dogfighting

Star QB tells judge he's 'willing to accept responsibility for my actions'

RICHMOND, Va. - Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy that involved gambling and killing pit bulls.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback could have been sentenced up to five years by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson. Vick, who turned himself in Nov. 19 in anticipation of his sentence, was wearing a black-and-white striped prison suit.

After Vick apologized to the court and his family, Hudson told him: “You need to apologize to the millions of young people who looked up to you.”

Federal rules governing time off for good behavior could reduce Vick’s prison stay by about three months, resulting in a summer 2009 release.

Vick was suspended without pay by the NFL and lost all his lucrative endorsement deals.

Two of Vick’s co-defendants were sentenced Nov. 30. Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach got 18 months, Quanis Phillips of Atlanta 21 months. Another co-defendant, Tony Taylor, will be sentenced Friday.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANKS, Judge Hudson, for setting the penalty above the minimum.
    We need a few more Judges who treat dogfighting as the Serious CRIME that it is!

/s/ Phred

23 months works for me. I would have liked longer but this will do.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Quote Originally Posted by gemini9961
    23 months works for me. I would have liked longer but this will do.

Vick still has to go through the State charges against him. He could have
    another sentence on those charges. I hope he gets more time on them.

I am so glad to see the subject of dog fighting being brought out by news
    groups. Hopefully, more people can realise it is a big problem that needs
    more attention by law makers.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Yeah! I'm glad to see Vick is going to prison.

Did anyone see the game last night? It really bothered me that people are still wearing his jerseys and supporting him. What's wrong with them

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I also saw the pictures from last nights game - phooey. Can't help but wonder if Obama agrees with his newest buddy Ophra that dog fighting can be pardoned because "it's a cultural thing". How embarrassing for him.
    ~ at least I'm not...

don't know how i feel about this, but

he rolled over on vick, i'm glad vick is serving, but 2 months doesn't strike me as enough...By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer
    RICHMOND, Va. - The man who provided prosecutors most of the information that led to Michael Vick's downfall was sentenced to two months in prison Friday for his role in the NFL star's dogfighting ring.

Tony Taylor of Hampton helped establish Vick's "Bad Newz Kennels" operation and joined in killing dogs but later became the government's chief informant in the case, prosecutor Michael Gill said at Taylor's 10-minute sentencing hearing.

"He was the most significant source of information in this case," Gill told U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson. "He did not hesitate in any way."

Gill said it would have taken the government significantly longer to build a case against Vick and his three co-defendants had it not been for Taylor, who provided details of more than half of the "overt acts" outlined in the indictment.

Vick, who financed the operation, was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison for a dogfighting conspiracy Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach and Quanis Phillips of Atlanta previously were sentenced to 18 months and 21 months, respectively.

Gill asked Hudson to sentence Taylor only to probation because of his cooperation. Hudson agreed that Taylor was entitled to some leniency, but he said he did not believe such a "gross disparity" in sentencing between Taylor and the other defendants was appropriate.

"You were as much an abuser of animals as any other defendant in this case," Hudson said.

Taylor apologized for his crime.

"I realize those were inhumane and stupid decisions I did make," Taylor told the judge.

Taylor's attorney, Stephen A. Hudgins, urged Hudson to consider Taylor's good behavior since leaving the dogfighting enterprise in 2004.

"He left behind everybody involved with that and did not get back involved in that activity," Hudgins said.

All four men initially pleaded not guilty. Taylor changed his plea on July 30 and agreed to cooperate with the government in its prosecution of the others. Peace and Phillips soon changed their pleas as well, and Vick followed suit on Aug. 23.

Taylor scouted for a location for the dogfighting operation in 2001 and recommended a 15-acre tract in Surry County, in rural southeastern Virginia. Vick paid about $34,000 for the property the following year.

In a summary of facts that accompanied his plea agreement, Taylor said he maintained and trained the dogs for about three years. He admitted executing two dogs, shooting one and electrocuting the other, when they did not perform well in test fights.

Vick received a harsher sentence than Peace and Phillips after Hudson concluded that the suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback lied about his direct involvement in killing dogs and about his marijuana use, which was detected in a drug test.

Taylor said he left the operation after a falling out with Phillips and others.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Vick sent to Kansas prison camp

I think it's wrong that he gets out early if he completes drug rehab. He should do all the time.

Vick Finishing 23-Month Term in Kansas
    By KRISTEN GELINEAU | Associated Press Writer
    3:51 PM CST, January 7, 2008

RICHMOND, Va. - Michael Vick left Virginia on Monday and was transferred to a Kansas prison to serve the rest of his 23-month sentence on a federal dogfighting charge. The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback is at the federal prison camp in Leavenworth, Kan., said Traci Billingsley, a spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Vick plans to enter a drug treatment program at Leavenworth, and a successful completion of the program may allow him to be released after serving 12 months, Yahoo! Sports reported.

Billingsley said federal prison records wouldn't immediately show if an inmate was accepted into such a program.

Vick was accompanied by U.S. marshals when he left the Northern Neck Regional Jail on Monday morning, said Maj. Ted Hull of the Warsaw, Va., jail.

Messages left with Billy Martin, Vick's lead attorney, were not immediately returned.

Vick and three co-defendants raised pit bulls and trained them for fighting behind the property he owned in rural Surry County. Several dogs that did not perform well in test fights were executed.

The 27-year-old player pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs. He had been held at the Warsaw jail since he surrendered Nov. 19 in anticipation of his sentence.

Vick was suspended without pay by the NFL, lost all his lucrative endorsement deals and has additional legal woes: He and co-defendants Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor are facing state animal cruelty charges in Surry County. Vick's trial is set for April 2.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I think it's wrong that he gets out early if he completes drug rehab. He should do all the time.
    I disagree. He has been convicted and sentenced in accordance with the law of the land. The rules for him should be the same as anyone else. If the program is available for some prisoners, it should be available for all.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    I disagree. He has been convicted and sentenced in accordance with the law of the land. The rules for him should be the same as anyone else. If the program is available for some prisoners, it should be available for all.

Hello. He wasn't convicted on a drug offense. It was more serious than that.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    He wasn't convicted on a drug offense.
    LH, that's what I am thinking too. The offense for which he was convicted was not related to drugs, so I don't think he should be entitled to early release on an unrelated charge just for completing a drug rehab program. Which makes me wonder, too, how was he able to continue as a successful NFL player if he had a substance use problem? He's young, and I have to ask if "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" might factor in with him too.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

The reason the drug rehab is available is because many crimes are related to drug use. The program has nothing to do with Vick's conviction being a drug related offense or not. The though is that if you can eliminate the drug use, you can have a more stable ex-con.

Vick has had several brushes related to drug paraphernalia, but has never tested hot by the NFL. Prior to going to prison, however, he tested positive for marijuana use.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

There will be a show on Animal Planet entitled "Animal Witness - the Michael Vick Case" on Sunday evening, August 24th.

Early next month National Geographic will be presenting a similar show. I'll have exact date later.

Here's a link to the National Geographic Channel site - complete with info about DogTown. That's the show they filmed out at Best Friends with the Vicktory dogs.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dogtown

I'm bumping up this old thread because I saw this blog entry on Chicago Now. I really don't think that Michael Vick should have a dog in his home EVER again. I think aggressive action needs to continue to stop dog fighting altogether.

http://www.chicagonow.com/sex-money/...-michael-vick/

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'm bumping up this old thread because I saw this blog entry on Chicago Now. I really don't think that Michael Vick should have a dog in his home EVER again. I think aggressive action needs to continue to stop dog fighting altogether.

http://www.chicagonow.com/sex-money/...-michael-vick/
    I agree 100000% I was appalled when I heard this news. So big deal - he has paid his debt to society. Once a monster - always a monster, and I don't believe that this leopard can change his spots. What happens when he is no longer in the limelight and under scrutiny for every move he makes??? - back to his old ways??? I would like to think not, but...............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~