Thread: Help!! Papillion With Broken Jaw :(

Help!! Papillion With Broken Jaw :(

I received an email this morning from one of the coordinators of the rescue that I foster for. I haven't been posting here for very long, but I figured it was worth a shot to repost it here where some pet lovers will see it.

The rescue is desperately in need of donations for this little guy's medical care. Please read the story below and check out the pictures. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Thanks, Liz

"Rascal is a 5 year old purebred papillon who weighs only 7 pounds. On Saturday, April 21, 2007, I got a call at home from the Tipton County Shelter. Rascal's owner had just dumped him at their kill shelter and they said he needed help desperately or they would have to euthanize him right then. Of course, I took off to get him and took him to Hillcrest Animal Hospital in Memphis.

Rascal's owner said that another dog in the neighborhood had attacked Rascal and broken his jaw. The owner waited THREE DAYS to even take Rascal to a vet. When they found out what it would cost to put Rascal back together again, they said NO WAY and dumped him instead at the Tipton County kill shelter. He was a shivering wreck and was in severe pain.

Dr. Ledbury at Hillcrest performed surgery to wire Rascal's jaw together -- the surgery took three hours because there were so many fractures in his jaw. It will be wired together for 4-6 weeks, so I'm trying to find a temporary foster home for him in Memphis. His medical bills just through last night are $1,500. As you know, I've got 40 Tipton Shelter dogs at Hillcrest right now and boarding alone is $10 per night per dog. I just could not afford to do this for Rascal but I couldn't say no either.

Dr. Ledbury did say that there is no way Rascal's injury is the result of a larger dog attacking him -- Rascal had no puncture wounds and no internal injuries besides his broken and shattered jaw. Someone kicked that little tiny baby in the face!

No amount is too small!!!

If you would like to verify the legitimacy of my newest cause and this story, please feel free to call Hillcrest Animal Hospital and speak with Jill or Liz there -- (901) 377-2244.

Donations can be made to my Paypal account at [email protected] (note in the remittance box that it is for Rascal's Fund), or you can mail donations to me at Traci Parris, 7948 Quito Road, Millington, TN 38053. Please make checks payable to Hillcrest Animal Hospital and mail them to me Traci Parris at my home address and I will deliver them to Hillcrest -- I want to be sure that the donations are properly applied to Rascal's account."

Post surgery pictures are below

God love this little dog!!! Poor little thing. It just makes me sick

If I lived closer, I would take him. What a tragedy

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I can't even believe someone would do this. A 7 pound dog?! Or ANY dog for that matter...but really, what is a 7 pound dog going to do to defend itself???

It makes me freakin' ILL how people treat animals sometimes. As some of you know, we were fostering a dog named Emma who was shot twice in the back and left to die. There is another dog at this rescue named Tracker, another beagle, who someone shot in the leg.

I'll just never understand what could posess people to act like this

On a brighter note, Emma just got picked up by her new Mom, and is on her way to her forever home as we speak. I tried hard not to cry when she left...but I'm going to miss her a lot.

So this dog is in TN? Wow. Poor little baby. If I had a way of getting him here I would take him. He's adorable, and I wish I could donate.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Yeah, he's in TN right now, and will probably be there for a month or so in a foster home, until he can find a perfect forever home. I got an update saying that he has found a great foster home with one of the vet techs at the hospital, and that he is doing well after his surgery. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for Rascal!

Aww poor Rascal! I wish I could do to these people what they have done to these dogs....(shooting, kicking!!)
    Good bye little Emma (aka Freckles to me). Have fun in your new forever home! I'll miss seeing your cute little face.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I offered to dog sit for Emma when her owners go on vacation, and she said that she would send pictures with updates and stuff, which will be nice.

I do miss her a lot though!

I have a very soft spot for small toy breeds. I so wish I could help! POOR baby!! I hate being a human sometimes, this just hurts to see this poor little guy so badly injured. I will pray for him, and I wish him luck!