Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More food recalls

More food recalls

I thought I would post this here just in case some of you have not heard about the latest round of food recalls.

Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog Food
    Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Cat Food

SmartPack LiveSmart Weight Management Chicken and Brown Rice Dog Food

All of these foods are being recalled because of the tainted rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

Quick question:
    Is it safe for the dogs to eat Science Diet now?
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Quote Originally Posted by KittyGurl
    Quick question:
    Is it safe for the dogs to eat Science Diet now?
    If by safe, you mean won't make them violently ill, yes, I believe the only recalled Hill's products are Feline. However, Science Diet is garbage, IMO, and there's many other foods for not much more money that Duke would do really well on.

All these recalls makes it so scary for our pets!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Not just pets anymore. CBS did a story last night about the FDA looking into human food. Another chemical is believed to have been found (sorry, I can't remember it's name), and the FDA is checking human foods and several other ingredients like corn, wheat and others (I believe). The list was too long for me to memorize in the short segment it was on.

In other words, the worst may be yet to come, and it may well involve what we eat. It will also then involve what those who feed raw feed.

What's most interesting to me was that CBS indicated that both these chemicals - the melamine (sp>) we know about and the new one - can be used to "fluff up or puff up" protiens, and that these chemicals might have been intentionally put into the food. That's scary.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

agilityk9trainer, that's crazy! It'll be tough to figure out what to feed our dogs AND ourselves! Fortinatly, I eat mostly all natural foods and hopefully it won't be contaminated!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Agreed. I'm hoping CBS has some wrong info in the report. It was disturbing.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)

I've been defrosted.

Quote Originally Posted by agilityk9trainer
    Not just pets anymore. CBS did a story last night about the FDA looking into human food. Another chemical is believed to have been found (sorry, I can't remember it's name), and the FDA is checking human foods and several other ingredients like corn, wheat and others (I believe). The list was too long for me to memorize in the short segment it was on.

In other words, the worst may be yet to come, and it may well involve what we eat. It will also then involve what those who feed raw feed.

What's most interesting to me was that CBS indicated that both these chemicals - the melamine (sp>) we know about and the new one - can be used to "fluff up or puff up" protiens, and that these chemicals might have been intentionally put into the food. That's scary.
    what kind of food is it in?
    now I don't know if I should eat my moms groceries

The entire situation is just disgusting. What the hell is the FDA waiting for?? If they were less concerned with covering their ass and protecting big corporations and more concerned with quality control we would not be in this situation. The FDA sucks!

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

Science diet prescription diet had been recalled weeks ago, I don't know about their other food
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

It's (possibly) gotten into the human food chain because pig and chicked farms fed the recalled food to their animals, and now we're going to be eating those animals.

Here's the thread I posted in General yesterday:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...16#post1804316
    Last edited by pitc9; 04-26-2007 at 12:23 PM.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

this was posted on a RV forum I belong too. At the very end it lists a co. that makes Atta boy. Anyone know more about this? We have a friend that feeds that.

"China bans melamine in food but rejects it as cause of pet food deaths
    Last Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2007 | 6:57 AM ET (CBC Website)
    The Associated Press

China said Thursday it has banned melamine from food products after the chemical was found in exports of vegetable protein shipped to the United States, but rejected it as the cause of dozens of pet deaths in North America.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials say they suspect the substance, which is a chemical found in plastics and pesticides, is to blame.

China's Foreign Ministry said in a statement there was no evidence to support the FDA's claim but that it would co-operate with the United States to find out what actually killed the animals.

The comments in a statement released by the Chinese Foreign Ministry were the first detailed response from Beijing to concerns that emerged a month ago about the country's wheat and rice gluten exports.

China has said it was investigating the issue but had not acknowledged until Thursday that Chinese companies had shipped gluten tainted with melamine to the United States.

The ministry said the contaminated vegetable protein managed to get past customs without inspection because it had not been declared for use in pet food.

"At present, there is no clear evidence showing that melamine is the direct cause of the poisoning or death of the pets," the statement said. "China is willing to strengthen co-operation with the U.S. side … to find out the real cause leading to the pet deaths in order to protect the health of the pets of the two countries."

U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials have said they suspect Chinese wheat and rice gluten laced with melamine and added to pet food may have killed at least 15 cats and dogs. The chemical appears to have caused acute kidney failure in animals that have died or been sickened after eating foods contaminated with the chemical.

China said an investigation triggered by FDA complaints found melamine in wheat and rice gluten exported to the United States by two Chinese companies: Xuzhou Anying Bio-technology Development Company and Binzhou Futian Bio-technology Company.

The case has prompted China to step up inspections of plant-based proteins and to list melamine as a banned substance for food exports and domestic sales, it said.

China also invited FDA officials to visit China to help with further investigations into the case and to consult on improving inspection techniques, it said.

Posted: 04/26/07 09:39am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not sure what products are affected yet.

April 26th, 2007

Wilbur-Ellis Rice Protein Concentrate Recalls:

UPDATE: AP identifies another (fifth) pet food maker that received tainted rice protein concentrate: American Nutrition in Utah.

products
    http://www.anibrands.com/products.htm

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

You can find the link to what I think is the CBS story on these chemicals entering the human food chain here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/health/main204.shtml

It's currently under "Human Food Protiens at Risk."

My system is so old I couldn't get it to play, but I think this is the story I saw last night.

I've been defrosted.

Is Solid gold still safe?

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings