Thread: A question for the bunny people

A question for the bunny people

Hello, I am going to in the future add a bunnage to my family. I am unsure which breed I am wanting. My only requirement is that I want it to be a very long lived bunny and I want to litter box train so the bunny can be out in the house and not in a cage.

I am sure someone will be able to give me suggestions and I also wouldn't mind seeing current pictures of everyones bunny and the breed of said bunny.

Thanks all.
    RIP: Misty - Pomeranian
    Pearl - French Bulldog

Dixie - Pug

Lola - Pit/Boxer Mix

Sugar - Cane Corso

Veera,Festus, BigMac - cats
    Zeus, Bubbles, Kruzer, Hatter - guinea pigs

This site breaks down Rbbits by general disposition size and fur types. This might help you out

Rabbits
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Thank, that is a place to start. I always research a new animal for at least a year before I ever add it to my home. The only exception to this was Zorro (raccoon). He was a spur of the moment purchase - and my house has suffered tremendously for it!~
    Pearl - French Bulldog

Dixie - Pug

Lola - Pit/Boxer Mix

Sugar - Cane Corso

Well I think lop eared bunnies for the most part seem to be very nice. And darf bunnies are more aggressive but it really depends on the rabbit itself... I have a darf and a mixed breed and my mix breed is friendly. I also have another mix breed female and she uses a litter box or atleast she used to. Im sure you could train any to use a litter box but you need to spend alot of time with them.

See http://rabbit.org for lots of info.

ANY rabbit can be litterbox trained.

ANY rabbit can be pretty long-lived, depending on the care he or she receives, and if s/he gets spayed/neutered.

I wouldn't worry so much about breed per se, but do your research about rabbits, then look in the shelters and see who captures your heart!

I agree with all the said above. Most all breeds of bunny have about the same lifespan. Most bunnies I've known have all lived between 6-10 years old, some even longer. And here is a pic of my bunny, she is a dwarf rabbit, I don't really know what breeds are in her though since I got her from a pet store, she is a mixed, and she is littered trained

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

I agree with Karen. Like a dog or cat if cared for properly they can live very long. And just like dogs the larger the breed generaly the less longer they live.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I dont know much other than what i have been told.

I personally like the Lionheads,And they say there lifespan is 6-8 years.

But as long as they have the proper care and diet im sure you could guarantee 10 years or longer.

I know there is no shots for rabbits,I want to get her spayed but am a little frightend i heard bunnies dont do well being put under????

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    I want to get her spayed but am a little frightend i heard bunnies dont do well being put under????
    My lion head started to get a bit vicious towards us and was constantly nesting, so our vet suggested getting her spayed. Like you, I was a bit nervous as I too had heard that sometimes bunnies don't cope with the anethestic too well. However, our vet reassured us that they administer the anethestic in very small doses and always keep a close eye on vital stats etc, so we decided to trust them and go through with it. And as the vet promised...everything was fine. I think if you trust your vet and they inform you that it's measured in small doses etc, your bunny should be fine. I've neveer looked back as SweatPea is now such a gorgeous bunny - she has a few moments, but at least we can put our hands in her home without being bitten or scratched! She's now even beginning to enjoy her cuddles more...after several months of determination from me!

Misty-Pearl - don't take this as a bad reading for Lion head rabbits.....that are truely wonderful!!
    Mandy

Kittycats_delight (Michelle) thanks for the great signature!

Thanks all, it's great to have information to look at and oggle. Right now I have pretty much fallen in love with the Tans so I will be looking at them right now, but I think all the bunnies are gorgeous.

I don't take that the wrong way at all, babyboonie, as I can't hold most of my animals long without getting bitten or scratched. I am a suck for the difficult. The more difficult the animal the more I enjoy caring for it. Of course this means temperment and care not health...
    Pearl - French Bulldog

Dixie - Pug

Lola - Pit/Boxer Mix

Sugar - Cane Corso