Thread: Advice?

Advice?

I live in Florida and am driving to Pittsburgh for a few days to go to my cousin's wedding. I am thinking of taking my dog, Stitch, with me instead of leaving her with my friend. I just want to know- has anyone ever traveled with his/her dog on a long road trip? How often do you stop? Would it be better for her to stay with my friend? I worry because he is dog/house sitting for someone else that weekend and my dog is not too good with other dogs. She cries and occasionally shakes. Besides, I am going to really miss Stitch.

Bring her with! If she likes car rides, she will LOVE it.

I have driven from Florida to Michigan with my dog/s and they enjoy it.
    We stop as often as they would go potty and go outside to play at home.

This May, we are driving from Florida to Utah with two of our dogs.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

If you have the time you should build up your dog's time in the car by increments. But we once took a week long trip with our Sequoia from PA up to Montreal then over to Ottawa then to Algonquin Park in Ontario and then home again. I have to say by the last day she was getting fed up with driving. But the next day after being home she got just as excited if you asked her if she wanted a car ride.

What is your dog like in the car? Is she calm, does she like going for rides in the car. Ginger and I drive to Florida every year. Ginger does not really like riding in the car, but she does like going new places and being with me. She doesn't whine and she doesn't move around (as a matter of fact she just lies in her bed and drools). But she is always happy to get out, and walk around, and see and smell new things. I ask this because if your dog is a whiner or very active in the car, the ride may be unpleasant for both of you. I take Ginger out to stretch her legs every 2-3 hours. Also as important as the car ride itself is what is going to happen to your dog when you get to Michigan. Is she going to be left in a motel room by herself while you attend a wedding and reception? Or visit with family? Or if she is going to stay with you at a family member's house, it is going to be very hectic and maybe too exciting for her in a new situation. I think it is wonderful that you want to take Stitch with you, and she is lucky to have such a caring and loving human companion. But make sure that the situation is one in which you will both be able to relax and spend some quiet time together, or otherwise it may too upsetting. It may be a better idea to leave her home for a few days and bring her back a great big bone for being such a good girl. Just something to think about.

The questions you have to ask some have already mentioned. Does your dog already like car rides? Can you now go on longish car rides to see how she does? Where will you stay along the way or when you get there? ARe the places dog friendly and safe for your dog? Is your dog crate trained, and can you take a crate for safety issues?

I travel extensivley with my dogs for dog shows. We are on the road every other weekend, and have traveled across the US via car. I think having your dog in a crate in the car is a must for safety reasons. Your dog will become a doggie rocket if you get into an accident, flinging his body around the car. I can't tell you the number of stories I have heard on the dog show circuit about dog crates saving dogs' lives in accidents. I wouldn't allow my dogs to riad out of a crate.

Also, you have to take into account where you will be staying. If looking for a dog friendly hotel, check out Baymont Inns, Red Roof Inns, some Best Westerns and some Hotel 6s, super 8s, Days inns and Hampton Inns. My preference are the Hamptons and Baymonts, but I'm a bit of a hotel snob now. When staying at a hotel, never leave your dog in the room alone (there's nothing more annoying than a barking dog in the room next to you....trust me). Also, pick up after your dog. And, have your dog on leash at ALLT IMES out of the hotel room, even in the halls. This is one of my pet peeves that non dog show folk do all the time in hotels. My dogs got run down by a very fat Dalmation the other day in a hotel, and the guy really got it from me!!

At your destination, is it dog safe? Does it have a fully fenced yard that your dog can roam? If not, are you willing to take long walks with your dog for exercise? If you are staying at someone's home, is your dog crate trained so that it isn't running free in an unknown home while you are out? This is only common courtesy to the people you are visiting. I wouldn't take a non crate trained dog to someone's house and expect them to let it "roam" while we are gone. Do the hotst really (i mean really) want you to bring your dog?

As far as stops, I like to stop about every two to three hours for the dogs to stretch their legs and pee. I never leave the dogs in the car while I go inside. Also, you're reaching the warm time of the year, and leaving the dogs in the car will become too dangerous because of overheating. In addition, rolling down windows isn't good, as dogs can be snatched from that situation in a matter of seconds.

also, travel with water from your home and plenty of dog food. Changes in water can cause stomach upset in some dogs.

Good luck.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.