Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think My golden is a runt

I think My golden is a runt

Can anybody tell me if golden retrievers are supposed to be big dogs?
    I have a golden puppy and he is 5 months old. He only weighs a little over thirty pounds. I have been told that some goldens already weigh 50 lbs by this time. Do I have a runt, or do all dogs grow at different times? I was really hoping for a big dog, at least 65-75 poounds, but I'm thinkin I'm going to be disappointed.

Did you do ANY research!? Have you ever seen a adult Golden?

I'm going to be disappointed.
    It shouldnt matter how big he is you got him as a pet his size wont reflect his love for you and affection.

Where did you get him from?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I know my dog is a golden, but I have had a lot of people ask me what he is because he is so small for his age. I got him from a breeder and he has papers.

can you post a pic...... preferably one with something to compare sizes with.... a car, a couch or yourself.......
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I think it's sad you would be disappointed in the dog because he may not be that big I hope you can love him just the same.

He still sounds gorgeous to me.....If you wanted a status symbol you should have bought yourself a handbag

Apologies if that sounds harsh but our Tobey was definitely the "runt" of the litter but we wouldn't change him for the world
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I never said that I didn't love my dog because he is
    small, I just wondered if he was a normal size for his
    age. I don't understand why everyone is all over me
    because I said I would be disappointed. I have always
    seen large goldens. I already have three small dogs, and
    I just wanted a big dog this time. Sorry if I offended
    everybody

So if you have seen large Goldens how do you not know if they are big dogs or not? If you got him from a breeder did you not see the size of the parents? Maybe these are questions you should have asked BEFORE you bought the dog..
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    So if you have seen large Goldens how do you not know if they are big dogs or not? If you got him from a breeder did you not see the size of the parents? Maybe these are questions you should have asked BEFORE you bought the dog..

She didnt see the parents when they were puppies.Not all goldens are big some can be 60 pounds some can be 80 pounds. All she wanted to know is if its small for its age or not... And yes for some goldens that is normal, it depends on the dog some have growing spurts at different times, it will be hard to tell his/her full size until about 2 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by angelbow20
    She didnt see the parents when they were puppies.Not all goldens are big some can be 60 pounds some can be 80 pounds. All she wanted to know is if its small for its age or not... And yes for some goldens that is normal, it depends on the dog some have growing spurts at different times, it will be hard to tell his/her full size until about 2 yrs old.
    No she asked if Goldens were big dogs in general too..I'm a groomer belive me I see my fair share of different size Goldens and I'm well aware of how big and small they can come. And if she didn't see the parents most likley they weren't the greatest breeder making the puppy not breed standard and small.
    See ALL my pets here

thanks angelbow 20 for not being so hostile.
    I did see the parents and the breeder told me that the puppy would be about sixty five to seventy five pounds. He just doesn't seem to be growing at the rate most of my past puppies did.
    I thought this was a website to ask questions about dogs, but with the hostility I have gotten today, I think I'll have to think awhile about asking anymore questions.

daisybee, I'm sorry for the general negativity towards your question. This is the place to come and ask questions and get educated!

I am not afraid to admit that I was very much disappointed (but maybe disappointed is the wrong word?) that my Lab mix only got to be 45 lbs, I too wanted a larger dog. But absolutely does not mean I love him any less because of his size!!

I found this chart for the growth rate of Goldens:

7 wks. - 8-10 lbs.
    9 wks. - 10-14 lbs.
    12 wks. - 15-17 lbs.
    16 wks. - 25-26 lbs.
    20 wks. - 32-43 lbs.
    6 mos. - 40-50 lbs.
    12 mos. - 65-70 for males and 55-60 for females
    2 yrs. - 55-68 females and 65-80 males
    source

Your guy is 5 months (so that's about 20 weeks right? If I can do math?) so it seems as if he's right on target, but on the lower end.

Your right though, he may just be the runt of the litter. I have a Jack Russell terrier whose siblings all reached 20lbs but she is just under 10, but she's always been the little one.

I had to go back and find pictures of Rocky, he is such a cute little guy! I'd love to see more pictures if you get the chance!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I thought they were too, but my neighbors got one and she stayed really small. I would have thought she was a mix or something if they hadn't got her from an AKC breeder. I think it's show vs. working.

Quote Originally Posted by daisybee
    I have a golden puppy and he is 5 months old. He only weighs a little over thirty pounds. I have been told that some goldens already weigh 50 lbs by this time. Do I have a runt, or do all dogs grow at different times? I was really hoping for a big dog, at least 65-75 poounds, but I'm thinkin I'm going to be disappointed.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Nope, your dog is right on track.

I have a growth chart for the average large breed, and a puppy of 4-5 months is supposed to be around 33-40 pounds. My 5-month-old puppy who is supposed to be 60 pounds when full grown is also 33-ish pounds. Your pup is right on target. Remember, you want her to be lean, not chubby or overweight if that's what is required for her to fit the chart. Charts are simply guidelines!

Quote Originally Posted by daisybee
    I never said that I didn't love my dog because he is
    small, I just wondered if he was a normal size for his
    age. I don't understand why everyone is all over me
    because I said I would be disappointed. I have always
    seen large goldens. I already have three small dogs, and
    I just wanted a big dog this time. Sorry if I offended
    everybody

My apologies too if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. Can we have some pictures please ???
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk