Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artica has severe diarrhea...need advice *Update #3* April 24 we have solid poop :)

Artica has severe diarrhea...need advice *Update #3* April 24 we have solid poop :)

Hi Guys, Artica has had severe diarrhea since last night but is otherwise normal. I was wondering what is the best thing to feed her. Also the other dog that shares the yard with her turned up 2 days ago with the same thing but is now ok. I am full intention on taking her to the vet if this presists past today. She is only 5 months old so I don't want this to go on too long if there is something more to it than an irritated digestive tract.

All advice and suggestions and even critisms will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Michelle
    Last edited by kittycats_delight; 04-24-2007 at 02:15 PM.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

She probably just got into something she wasn't supposed to? Or maybe the other dog had a virus of some sort and she caught it? I dunno, I would take her to a vet if I were you.

(((HUGS)))
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

You need to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. Is she vomiting? When casey had diarreah and vomiting I put her on boiled chicken and rice and had her lick ice cubes.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I would fast her for 12 hours or so to give her gut a rest before trying to feed her again. At that point, atart with a SMALL amount of white rice and boiled chicken, and if that stays down, a little more. After a day or so of bland diet,small amounts of regular food at first working up to normal meals.

Make sure she's drinking, as stated before. Some dogs like ice chips, so those can be offered if she's not drinking.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I am not sure about the virus part cause the after about a day and a half the other dogs stools were completely normal again. But it definately could have been something they both ate. The other dog is a little monster for killing birds sooooo...and Artica will eat anything she finds.

She is not vomitting at all. And there is no blood in her stool. She is completely normal aside from the diarrhea. She was stealing my slippers a few minutes ago and chasing Phoenix. And right now we are cooking up some rice in chicken broth for her and she is sat at Guido's feet waiting rather impatiently. So she is most definately normal in all aspects.

Thanks you guys for your quick responses.

Michelle

hi there and artica! just reading this now ..

I could try some portion of pumpkin (to sooth) or plain yogurt (to harden), they shalln't do any harm. stop feeding them if artica has gotten worse.

prayers winging over to this little dear girl - (((hugs))) michelle

..gina, crayola and furrfelines
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Cathy I did not see your post until after I feed her we must have posted at the same time. She did a poop after she ate and it is still diarrhea but not as liquid. As of right now she is fasting for the 12 hours you suggested. So she will not eat until later tonight. It was 8:30 this morning when she ate. She just asked to go out again so I will let you all know how that poop is when I let her back in.

Gina I will most definately give the pumpin and yogurt a try if the fasting doesn't help. Thanks for your prayers, good thoughts and suggestions. (((HUGS)))

Michelle

ETA: So she just came back in and the poop is about the same as last time. Very runny but not like water. It has some consistency to it kinda like peasoup. Sorry for the DMP. (disgusting mental picture in this case) So we will just wait it out and I will let you all know how she progresses.
    Last edited by kittycats_delight; 04-23-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Is she getting plenty of water/ice??
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I hope she gets better soon Michelle. Hopefully, she just got something that didn't agree with her and it's only temporary. Kisses to that little doll from Florida

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    Is she getting plenty of water/ice??
    She is drinking a bit not a whole lot though. And she won't touch the ice. I was wondering though about getting her some gatorade or something like that. I am pretty sure she would drink that but am not sure if it is a good idea to give her. Any suggestions???

Thanks Terry I will pass along those kisses for you.
    Michelle

I am not sure Michelle but I am thinking the sugars in gatorade will not be good for her. Sounds like maybe you should just stick with water. If she is not vomiting you are ahead of the game. I would continue what you are doing and if it continues too long just give your vet a call.

I have been frosted!

I too would talk to your vet if it's not better by now. When Buddy had the runs real bad last summer they gave me something in a paste form that worked Great! (can't remember the name of it right now)
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

ummmmm....maybe you are right. I know some people give pedialyte to their pets to help with dehydration but I was really unsure. I figured it would be best to ask. I also wasn't sure if it would be a problem due to the fact that she is fasting and has nothing in her stomach. I will keep checking back to see what everyone else says too. Thanks so much for your quick response. Until I know for sure I will be holding off on it. And not to worry if this diarrhea persists she will be going to see the vet sooner than she would like to.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    I am not sure Michelle but I am thinking the sugars in gatorade will not be good for her. Sounds like maybe you should just stick with water. If she is not vomiting you are ahead of the game. I would continue what you are doing and if it continues too long just give your vet a call.

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    I too would talk to your vet if it's not better by now. When Buddy has the runs real bad they gave me something in a paste form that worked Great! (can't remember the name of it right now)
    Unlike last night where she was running for the door every 30 minutes for about 5 hours she has gone much longer between poops today. It was about 3 hours or so between the one right after she ate and the next one and they were both more solid.

I am taking Cathy's advice and fasting her. She will get a little bit of boiled chicken and rice tonight at about 9:00 pm or so as she ate this morning at around 8:30 or so and Cathy suggested 12 hour fast. So if the fast doesn't help her then she will be going into the vet tomorrow. I am hoping and praying that it will help.

The other dog she shares her yard with had the diarrhea for about 36 hours. And then all went back to normal. I am hoping for the same for Artica but either way she will find herself at the vet tomorrow if there is no change.

Thanks so much for your advice and concern. We really do appreciate it.

Michelle

Casey had severe diarreah and vomiting after I adopted her, this I believe was a side effect of the medicine she was getting for a parasite. Can't remember either name right now but it was pretty scary, I took time off from work to have her lick ice cubes.

Diarreah by itself and not bloody I would think could just be monitored today, but I am not expert that is just probably what I would do. When casey had that problem the vet didn't even see her just told me to do the ice cubes.

Hope Artica is back to normal again real soon, give her a big hug from me too.

I have been frosted!