Thread: Collie Dog

Collie Dog

Hi, there was a collie today in the paper that was full grown. I really wanted it, but decided no..I'm going to wait and get one from a shelter if I can find one some day.

I wanted to ask like are collies usually always good with ducks?? and cats?? goats and rabbits?

I use to have a collie that would have killed any other animals besides a dog. I had her and for her first 8 yrs. of like she was around only other dogs, then when she turned 8 we got some ducks and a cat started hanging out at our yard and we decided to keep her...but my collie would have killed them all if we hadn't of kept them in a dif. fence all the time!

I guess she was that way since she wasn't use to them....but are collies usually good with animals..I've read they are, but since Monzaya was my only collie I've ever had I jst wanted to ask everyones' opinion.

I would really love to have another collie some day..but I'd also like to get it from a rescue shelter and I wondered if they 'usually' are good with other animals cause I'd really have to get something to get along with my ducks, cats, goat and my rabbit.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give!

Genny
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

You need to ask about prey drive. Some dogs have a high prey drive, and some don't. It can vary dog-to-dog within a breed.

Most collies will not attack ducks as they are herding dogs. A well bred herding dog has the prey drive under control, or else they'd kill instead of herd. However, not all dogs are well bred. If you get a collie from a sheltier, you won't know the dog's lines, making it a bit more of a risk. I'm not encouraging you to go to a breeder...I think rescue is great...just be careful.

All the collies I've known (and I've known many. I used to show a collie) were great dogs who wouldn't attack ducks, rabbits, cats or any other animal. My guiena pig used to love to root through my collie's coat, and he was just fine with that.

But, Karen is right. You can't make a blanket statement about a breed. But, generally, collies will not attack other animals. BTW, I'm speaking of the Lassie-type collie...not Border Collies or Beardied Collies.
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

To be honest, I would call the number in the paper and talk to the people. Also, ask what they plan to do with the dog if they don't find it a home. Being in rescue myself, I've seen many people give up and dump the dog at an SPCA (which is a kill shelter) so in essence, you would be saving the dog's life. I would definitely call and find out from them. Let us know what you decide.

There are four collie breeds and they can be quite different so you need to specify which collie you mean.

I have Border collies and they have quite a high prey drive. If they are introduced to other creatures from being pups, they are generally ok but, if not, they will chase and even kill and eat other creatures. Many dogs are ok with the cats that live with them but are not with strange cats and this can also apply to borders.
    If it's an adult dog you are getting rather than a pup, then you can't guarantee it won't go for other creatures without getting plenty of info on it's general temperament and how it has been with other creatures previously.

Even with the strong herding instinct, a border can still attack sheep, ducks and other livestock if not trained. Herding is basically a modified type of hunting that lacks the attack and varying levels of training are often needed to stop a border from actually biting or attacking whatever it is herding.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

As already mentioned, it does depend on the speicific dog.

Growing up, I had a rough coat colle (like Lassie), Our next door neighbors got a kitten when ou dog was aobut a year old. We have photos of the two of them curled up together on the grass in the sunshine napping!

If you google: collie rescue (no quotes around it) you can locate a collie rscue group near you. Most rescues use foster homes. If the foster home has a cat or other animals they can tell you how this dog is around them. Also, sometimes the dog has to move to another foster home because it didn"t get along with the cat or whatever other animal and they will tell you that as well.

Going through a rescue, you will learn a bit more about the temperament of the specifi dog than what a shelter would be able to tell you. Plus you will have a support group to turn to when asking questions ( in addition to us here on PT, that is! )

I was talking about a collie (rough, like Lassie) but I'm gonna wait a while anyway, but thanks...
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Ah, a lot of people refer to roughs as "The Collie" but, believe it or not, the border collie is the only true collie that is fully descended from the original collie dog. The others are all a result of crossing the original collie with totally different breeds.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

hmmm...I didn't know that!